• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Orchestra based anime-Make a recommendation please...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for a new series to watch that's based around or features orchestral(strings) music. For example Haibane Renmei and Evangelion. If it has a good level of orchestra in it for example: main characters in orchestra classes or playing the instruments or if it only has strings music as a majority of its soundtrack. Can someone please recommend a series like the ones I've described? Thanks.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Akemi_Idaku wrote:
main characters in orchestra classes or playing the instruments...

This is rather difficult. There are not many new series based on this premise. However, the first one came in my mind is Gauche the Cellist. It's a movie, rather old, and hard to find. Henrietta and Rico of Gunslinger Girl have played violin in one scene, but not much more. Furthermore, in most of the time, there's no violin in her violin case but a FN P90 instead.

Akemi_Idaku wrote:
...or if it only has strings music as a majority of its soundtrack.

Look for any dramatic anime with music composed by Taku Iwasaki, namely Now and Then, Here and There, which is a masterpiece in its own right, but Iwasaki's music has made me wail (in a good way). That's right. Wail. Not just weep, sob, or cry, but wail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the help. I understand what you mean by making you wail. Haibane Renmei did that for me.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Escaflowne. And Rahxephon

And yet to be released in the states: Monster.

All have great orchestral soundtracks. But I cant recall any anime featuring musicians in that field.
antonmonter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the above post. If you are looking for an anime about an orchestra the best one is Gauche the Cellist, the story actually revolves around some aspects of playing a musical instument. Its also based on a poem by Kenji Miyazawa and directed by Hisao Takahata.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Any anime with soundtrack by Kunihiko Ryo will have orchestral music as a major component of its score. Examples are Juuni Kokki (the soundtrack is amazing) and Victorian Romance Emma (the soundtrack is ama-, wait, I think I said that already...).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, if the requirement has been broaden from strings to any orchestral/classical themed anime, then it's much, much easier -- maybe too many to pick a single one. An easy way: look for music performed by Eastern Europe orchestras, such as Czech Philharmonic Orchestra and Poland Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.

Why does Princess Nine need such epic music style?

abunai wrote:
Any anime with soundtrack by Kunihiko Ryo will have orchestral music as a major component of its score.

Don't forget the ED of Fantastic Children, Mizu no Madoromi by ORIGA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Well, if the requirement has been broaden from strings to any orchestral/classical themed anime,

In that case, Princess Tutu is a must. It's a great anime in its own right and ballet/classical music is an integral part of the experience.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I think Hack/Sign fits in, though the BGM is accompanied by a song ~_~, anyway, the BGM is superb if you'll ask my opinion.

Oh I forgot, Piano is a string instrument right? So I would recommend The Air Soundtrack, it has a really pleasant sound.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Place Promised In Our Earlier Days has two characters which play the violin during the movie and a good portion of its soundtrack is composed of string quartet numbers.

Elfen Lied is also pretty heavily orchestrated, albeit with Gregorian-style chants and Reformation-era church hymns mixed in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
I've never seen it, but Violinist of Hamelin would HAVE to have something like that just off the name, right?

Soundtrack wise, I too am a huge symphony fan. I'd have to recoment Gankutsuou and His and Hers Circumstances as two shows with great orchestrated soundtracks.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
For excellent orchestrated soundtracks I'd recomend Crest of the Stars, and it's sequels Banner of the Stars I, II, and III.

I believe Gunslinger Girl, Last Exile, and Inu Yasha use a lot of great orchestrated pieces as well.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I would highly recommend Wolf's Rain. The soundtracks are also available seperately by Yoko Kanno. As usual, not straight 100%orchestral score, but Kanno to me is the equivalent of Beethoven. If you like Mahler or any of the Romantic composers, you will enjoy this score.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well... in terms of orchestated soundtracks, give Lunar Legends Tsukihime a try. It's not acctually a full orchestra that I hear, but more like a quartet or such. It's gotten some criticism in the past, but you might have a different opinion. If it means anything, there's also a few scenes with Akiha playing the Violin. And I personally still love the opening and ending themes (especially the ending theme).

Another one with a very good soundtrack, which still isn't fully orchestrated, but has it's moments, is Someday's Dreamers. Some of the tracks are absolutely wonderful in my opinion, and pretty lighthearted as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
watch RahXephon. Almost the entire soundtrack is orchestral, and it has a metric buttload of allusions to music in it (like how eva is all religious and stuff, RahXephon is all musical and stuff)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2