• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime question

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me a REALLY REALLY GOOD ANIME :p, stupid question, but I was looking for a really gore-y anime, like if you have seen Kill Bill 1, you have seen the clip, where it shows O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu), killing people as a kid, shoots their legs off and such. Well, I was looking for some really gorey anime, with guns, maybe swords. But not old fashioned, more like "new type" stuff, thanks Smile.

--Jedi Toad
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Er...I can't say I've seen much anime besides what [AS] has fed me, but Elfen Lied might just be your thing. You can check out the reviews to your left under "News & Views". There's also a thread here of users' views of the show. (There may be untaggedspoilers though.) ANN's user ratings seem very good. It's a thirteen episode series, and although the encyslopedia's picture has a few "cute" girls sitting around, the art style contrasts greatly with the actual mood of the story.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Toad wrote:
I was looking for some really gorey anime, with guns, maybe swords. But not old fashioned, more like "new type" stuff, thanks Smile.

Although I would recommend the links .Sy has given, I would say Elfen Lied...wait, that was also already mentioned. Never mind. So, I'll just second Elfen Lied. That's got some pretty surprising stuff in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok, well I am going to try Elfen Lied out Smile Any other suggestions, if I want action packed? Smile, lots of guns, tons of gore! Smile

I have seen a umm, quite alot of Anime, because I have 2 major people around me, and they are anime fans, and fanatics, they have at least 600 CD's just filled with different episodes of anime, and I have asked them and I have been told Akira, and Gungrave so far, and some others, I forget the names :p, but they were filled with tons of swords and lots of gore, but I'd rather guns over swords. Cause I play alot of games and stuff with guns, watch alot of action packed gun movies, you know Smile

--Jedi Toad
DFarthing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Jedi Toad wrote:
I was looking for some really gorey anime, with guns, maybe swords. But not old fashioned, more like "new type" stuff, thanks Smile.

Although I would recommend the links .Sy has given, I would say Elfen Lied...wait, that was also already mentioned. Never mind. So, I'll just second Elfen Lied. That's got some pretty surprising stuff in it.

Yeah, Elfen Lied is most likely the answer you're going to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with Elven Lied - it deffinatley meets your requirements of gory and bloody, while still retaining an excellent story, and even some tenderness. I loved the show, except for the creepy latin intro, and would highly recomend it.
Another one that may suit you is GANTZ. This is another very cool show with some crazy action in it. It was so bad, that it was censored in its original Japanese TV airing. The ADV DVDs have the complete uncut episodes, and the entire first half is allready available. I've only watched the first 2 eps so far - haven't had time to watch the rest - but I'm looking forward to finishing it up.
From what I've heard, Texhnolyze is also very graphic and violent. I just bought the first few discs w/box during the TRSI Geneon Sale a few weeks ago, but (again) haven't had time to watch this one at all. From what I hear, it's pretty insane as far as the ammount of violence in this one. I've heard some of the soundtrack, and if that's any indication to the direction of this show, then it's deffinately gonna be a keeper.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
People generally recommend Berserk as a violent title. I haven't seen it myself though.
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
People generally recommend Berserk as a violent title. I haven't seen it myself though.

Isn't Beserk all like swords and stuff? I heard its really good from my older brother, went nuts got em all and watched em, said its really good. But I'm about guns myself Smile

--Jedi Toad
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Toad wrote:
...I play alot of games and stuff with guns, watch alot of action packed gun movies, you know
wow, if I was a psychologist... Laughing

well, I don't know too much about gun animes, but if you don't mind the sword too much, definately check out Berserk. and I've heard that the manga version is gorier than the anime Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Gorier you say Surprised.
Then I must get them Smile

--Jedi Toad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd also recomend Elfen Lied as it definitely seems to fit the bill. Also if it's good gun battles you're looking for I'd recomend Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, and Gungrave.

Noir is also a good choice for gun action. Some very creative gun fights (Episode 3 for example) and other interesting ways to assasinate people and the storyline is extremely good, but it's nearly bloodless.
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ugh? :S, lots of ways to kill people, no blood. What comes out of them? Air? :p, well, I will ask my sister about Noir, cause she watches it, I am sure Smile.

And the other suggestions, are being downloaded, and so many suggested them, so they must be good! :p

--Jedi Toad
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Toad wrote:

And the other suggestions, are being downloaded, and so many suggested them, so they must be good! :p

--Jedi Toad

Someone said the forbidden words. They are not 133t.
Jedi Toad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Umm, okay..? :S I'm confused on what you said.. :p

Explain?>

--Jedi Toad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Toad wrote:
Ugh? :S, lots of ways to kill people, no blood. What comes out of them? Air? :p, well, I will ask my sister about Noir, cause she watches it, I am sure Smile.

--Jedi Toad

Yes, you'll just have to watch and find out. If you can get past the unrealistic lack of blood it's really an excellent show.

Words on the computer screen and a hauntingly familiar melody are the bait that propels professional hitwoman Mireille Bouquet into meeting with the sender. She meets Kirika Yumera a woman who's skills at killing even surpasses her own however Kirika has no memory of where she learned them or the life she led up to a few day before. She brings with her a musical watch which trigers repressed memories in Mireille. After being attacked they reluctantly decide to team up and attempt to discover the mysteries of their pasts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3