• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
I went to www.theanimenetwork.com and I went to look at all the list of anime shows they had. It's good, I guess. On the homepage it says:

06/21 9:56AM :: Elfen Lied hits the Network
Coming this July to the network, the show that shocked fans across the world, Elfen Lied. Lucy is a woman with supernatural powers said to bring the destruction...

Is this show any good, cause from reading their summary of the show, I don't get how it shocked all the people on the
Eastern Hemisphere. Also, could you tell me where to get images for this show. They don't show much on google or yahoo and is there a trailer out for this show?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
Go to the encyclopedia entry for it, then click on the link to the official website and then you'll find trailers where it says 'trailers' Confused Google gives me over 150,000 hits for "elfen lied" and over 1,200 pictures.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Yes Elfen Lied is fantastic and It's shocking because it is reeaally bloody. You can view the trailer here.

Edit-- bah you beat me to the punch angel_lover Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Is this show any good, cause from reading their summary of the show, I don't get how it shocked all the people on the Eastern Hemisphere.

Well since I live on the Western Hemisphere, I can tell you the first episode shocked me. The violence was so bad, I nearly hated this show from the start. It just seemed senseless and there for the sake of showing how gory a TV series could be and get away with it. Not that Lucy's rampage of dismembering those soldiers really bugged me, but more so:

spoiler[ When she killed that secretary girl. That girl seemed so innocent, and I was appauled at how merciless she had her head twisted off Mad.]

However, after getting to at least episode 4, the violence was better explained and actually had a little justification.

As for the production values, they're through the roof for a TV series budget. The art is wonderful and pretty to look at, even during the (very frequent) gory parts. I especially love the music in the form of that opening song. It's a beautiful, yet haunting Latin melody that really gives the series a unique feeling. I haven't heard much of the dub, and frankly don't care too (as it is ADV), but if you actually like their dubbing, then more power to ya' Wink.

In any case, do check it out, you'll probably find at least one thing to compliment in this very intriguing show.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Google gives me over 150,000 hits for "elfen lied" and over 1,200 pictures.

Google only gives you two pages worth of pictures and the rest are repeats or not even related to the show and I saw the trailer. What I wanted to know was if there was more. Also, I wouldn't have put up this post without looking it up for myself. I didn't really understand what that was the point of the story from reading the info on it's hompage so I asked the members on this foroum.

Tony K. wrote:
Well since I live on the Western Hemisphere.....

Do you have animenetwork?

Last edited by ShinobiX on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Google only gives you two pages worth of pictures and the rest are repeats or not even related to the show and I saw the trailer, what I wanted to know, if there was more.

Uh.. I browsed through at least the first 5 pages, and there several non-repeated pics. There are also plenty of screencaps depicting the sort of violence in the series. However, seeing too many of them could spoil the series for you as well.

I've only seen what's been released on DVD, so I couldn't tell you how good the entire and overall story is. I am only recommending that you give it a chance and check it out based on what I've watched thus far.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Forget my last quote. I typed it in like this Elfen Lied and gives you something entirely different.
MrShare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
ELFEN LIED kicks ass. It's the darker animes like this one, and BERSERK, that help lend credit to anime as a serious art form.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Not that Lucy's rampage of dismembering those soldiers really bugged me, but more so:

spoiler[When she killed that secretary girl. That girl seemed so innocent, and I was appauled at how merciless she had her head twisted off Mad.]

That scene, although filled with blood and gore, is nowhere as dramatic as the manga:

spoiler[Lucy was not going to kill Kisaragi (the secretary); she wanted to use her as a hostage. Knowing that they can't let Lucy escape at all cost, Kurama told her calmly and coldly, "Kisaragi, you have to die here." Extremely dedicated to Kurama and knowing her fate, she replied with tears and a smile:

"I'm finally useful to Chief Kurama, right?"

"Yes. Your death will not be in vain."

"It's a promise."

Then Lucy snapped her head off.

"OPEN FIRE!!" Kurama yelled.

After Lucy escaped, Kurama returns to the corridor where decapitated Kisaragi lied on the floor. "I'm sorry, Kisaragi, but this is not the end. Wait now; I shall avenge you."]

Now that's tragic. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I also checked out a bit of the manga after seeing the trailer on ADV's (I think) website. The plot is rather shocking, but excellent nonetheless. Although there is a lot of violence and gore, it's not just thrown in there without any relation to the plot. I really want to see the anime, but I'll probably wait to see what people think of the entire series first. What really was interesting was that the art is cute, unlike the gory Hellsing so the style really contrasts. I think it was the manga-ka's first time getting published, and I'd say that's a pretty darn good job.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Was the story really that good or were people more impressed by the violence being used? I was more impress by the violence than the actual story itself (which was okay). The whole amesia thing was really tacky to me, *think back at old looney toons cartoon.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Do you have animenetwork?

No, but a friend of mine does. I'm not really a big fan of ADV's dubbing, so I wouldn't watch that channel even I did have it Razz. I was just referring to Vol.1 of the DVD, which I borrowed from a friend (and is available at your local retailers Wink).

dormcat, now that is a better way of depicting that scene Shocked. It doesn't feel so senseless now. It's relieving to know that there was, in fact, a purpose and even a sense of continuance to try and resolve it. Thanks.

darkhunter wrote:
The whole amesia thing was really tacky...

Amnesia? I thought it was more like a split personality. But then again, I've only seen the first 4 episodes.

And from what I saw, the story seems like it will head in a good direction, but I think you're right. So far, this anime seems to thrive more on violence rather than a potentially good story.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Animenetwork stops showing all dubs real soon and they will soon show the directors cut edition, the uncut editions of previous and new animes, ect.

They started to show the original Gantz and the sub Evagelion series with the already, and are going to show sub versions of more popular shows. Animenetwork will still have some dubs though unfortunately. About 2/3 of the shows they show will be sub.

Last edited by ShinobiX on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrShare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Animenetwork stops showing all dubs real soon and they will soon show the directors cut edition, the uncut editions of previous and new animes, ect.

They started to show the original Gantz and Evagelion series with the subtitles already, and are going to show OVA versions of another popular show.

Dang, I wish I could get that network. Crying or Very sad
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It's only 7 bucks a month for about 30 shows each week and you get about 8-10 new episodes every week until it finished a season. I finshed watching all of the seasons of 5 popular anime shows in like 5 months i think. I've only had it for one year, but if you have optimum digital cable, you could get it. I'm currently watching get backers, Saiyku, the full metal panics (both), noir, Najica, the slayers series, Gantz, Dirty pair series/movies, madlax, ect. I can't remember them all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5