• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sir Integra?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
Why is Integra Hellsing, called [/i]Sir Integra in Hellsing? At first I thought she was a man. Is Sir an actual name?? It doesn't explain it in the series (i haven't read the manga).
Tequila

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thaught it is some sort of misunderstanding. Maybe the creators thaugt that "Sir" is a gender-neutral title. Theoretically she should be called Lady Integra Hellsing Wink Or they done it on purpose to prove a point? I have seen only a few episodes of this series.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
It's a title she inherited when she was made head of the Hellsing organization, so most likely it comes with her position, regardless of gender; it's an honorific, a granted honor. And you have to admit, she doesn't come across as very "lady-like".
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
Actually to me she came off as a "person with a concrete posterior" (I think there's a rule on cursing and I'm not about to be banned AGAIN) . . . but if my spoiler[dad was killed and a strange vampire had a taste for my blood] I suppose I'm be socially stunted to. Of course if the producers did the show justice we couldn't learned more on her instead of that stupid non-ending.
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
Acolyte wrote:
It's a title she inherited when she was made head of the Hellsing organization, so most likely it comes with her position, regardless of gender; it's an honorific, a granted honor. And you have to admit, she doesn't come across as very "lady-like".

Did you find this out by reading the manga or did I miss it in the series? I thought it might be something along those lines, thanks for clearing it up Wink
Acolyte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Quote:
Did you find this out by reading the manga or did I miss it in the series? I thought it might be something along those lines, thanks for clearing it up

Ah, it's nothing that's ever addressed directly. It's a lot of inference and reading between the lines. The term "Sir" does usually apply to men, but you'll notice no-one ever calls her "Mr.".

In the manga you can see how much the male dominated group dislikes dealing with Integra, but because of her "Sir" title, they have to swallow their ire. That and Alucard would most likely rip any offending party a new orifice. Twisted Evil

It is shown in passing in the animespoiler[, the death-bed scene where Integra's father names her as head of Hellsing]. But, again, there is no one time someone comes out and says "I dub thee, Sir Integra".
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
I watched both the anime and am reading the manga and nowhere does it ever explain that. I definetly think it has to do with her position as head of the Hellsing organization.

Another note, read the manga, it is a lot better than the anime. The anime was changed a lot, and I am pretty sure it has to do with the Nazi's who are the main villain throughout the manga.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Here is the answer, courtesy of Rebecca.[/url]
annomandaris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
sir is an honorific used to denote a person who has been knighted, dame is occasionally used for women but dame can also be passed on, unlike a sir, your child can be a dame without having to be knighted if you were.

integra's title as a sir would state that she has been specifically knighted rather than had the title passed on to her, other names that are commonly used for powerful land owners and title bearers are

marquis/marquess
baron/baroness
earl/dame
lord/lady

there are many others but they are more culturally based while these are more widespread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1