• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Important Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Septeus7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
I have watch many anime movies and TV series over the last five years. I even took a class to learn Japanese due to my growing otakuness at the time. Incidently, I learned that I had no talent for foreign laugages....

However, I have now reached a point of know return....I now turn to my follow otakus and ask what is left? I can think of no anime series of importance or popular significance that I have not seen (other than Card Captor Sakura, Yugi-Oh, Digi-Mon and Pokemon for obvious reasons).

Will you please be so kind as to suggest a cannon of required anime which somebody would have to watch in order complete the scared journey and become a true Otaku?
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Perhaps you could tell us what you have seen so we can gauge from there.
kainzero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Will you please be so kind as to suggest a cannon of required anime which somebody would have to watch in order complete the scared journey and become a true Otaku?

i don't much rather care for being an otaku. just watch whatever you want to watch.

i suggest comic party for fun. makes you feel better about your hobby.
Erufu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote
Genshiken is awesome. It lets you get a Japanese perspective on otakuness.

Hmm.... here's my list of important anime (based on contributions to the anime industry and references seen in other anime, works, sites, etc.)

*Chobits (who hasn't heard of Chobits?)
*Sailor Moon (seems to me the first anime introduced in the US that was "directed" towards girls, and many pop culture references in the US refer to Sailor Moon)
*Evangelion (what other anime has left a void in the industry after its debut and influenced so many other alike series?)

Those are the "older" ones, so here are the "newer" ones:

*Last Exile (great story line, and, in my opinion, the best animation done by Studio Gonzo thanks to the awesome flight scenes)
*Chrno Crusade (extremely great story line and another great from Gonzo, can't you tell who I favor?)
*Fullmetal Alchemist (I have a feeling this one is going to set the stage for a while when it comes to storyline, animation, and character development)
*Naruto (this seems like one of the most popular anime right now, and it's not even licensed in the US)
*Shingetsutan Tsukihime (great story line, great animation)
*Bottle Fairies (so, this one might be a little off, but it's cute and it takes you through Japanese culture)

Hmm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I don't understand the problem, though, because there is always new anime coming out. And, even though I'm not a big fan of manga, you can turn to that. I was interested in the original story line of Chrno Crusade after falling in love with the anime, so I'm reading that right now. Just browse anime by release years and start around 200 and work your way to the present.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
Otaku? Who wants to be an obssessive geek without any girl friend or social life.
elniro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:46 am Reply with quote
LOL obviously this guy

To be an otaku you gotta have every anime ever made, and know all the pokemon by heart
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Septeus7 wrote:

Having watched every anime in ANN Encyclopedia does not make one an otaku, and vice versa. The otakudom is more about knowing / memorizing every detailed plot, technical and character settings, and trivia. It's even better if you can draw a timeline along titles within an omnibus / anthology, or crosslink seemingly unrelated titles (tribute and/or parody).

In order not making this thread another "favorite" list thread, I'd like to recommend some titles I can think about now with direct depiction of otaku and/or anime/comic/game (ACG) community:

Otaku no Video: one of the oldest and most famous anime about otaku behavior.

Comic Party: life of doujinshi artist and conventions.

Animation Runner Kuromi: haven't seen it myself, but according to the introduction it's about lives in the backstage of anime production.

And finally, the aforementioned Genshiken, which is also one of my favorites. It simply has too many references to other ACG titles, and the more you know about ACG community, the more you can enjoy it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
If you could provide us with a list of anime you have seen we could provide you with a list of anime you should see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Septeus7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Pardon the term Otaku, I didn't know you were that sensitive. I'm just asking what anime series are important for every true fan to see in order to be considered a fan of good resource?

Golgo13 wrote:
Perhaps you could tell us what you have seen so we can gauge from there.

Thats very hard I'll give it a shot. Some of these as partially watched. Here goes:

FMP, Excel Saga, All things Kenshin,Juuni Kokki,.Hack Sign,GTO,Yu Yu Hakusho, WHR, Berserk, Spiral, Azumanga Daioh, Inuyasha, Hajime no Ippo, Nior, You're Under Arrest, Chobits, Getbackers, Dragon Half, Grappler Baki I&II, Scryed, Licensed by Royal, Love Hina, Kara Kano, One Piece,Flame of Recca, Future Boy Conan, Heat Guy J, Haibane, FMA, Condor Hero, Yawara, Captian Tylor, Lord of Lords Ryu, Aquarian Age, Area 88, Battle Programmer Shirase, Blue Seed, Captian Harlock, Chrno Crusade, Everything GITS,Haunted Junction, Ranma, Key the Metal Idol (everybody should watch it), Orange Road, Last Exile, Mirage of Blaze, Nadesico, Orphen, Rahxephon, Evangelion,Slayers, Texhnolyze, Hakkenden, Vampire Princess Miyu, Weiss (oh god why?), Yami no Matsuei, Ashita no Nadja, Elf Princes Rane, Groove Adventure Rave, Kindaichi, Saber Marrionette, Sakura wars, Zenki, Virus Buster Serge, Maison Ikkoku, Mezzo Forte, Fruits Basket,Hunter X Hunter.....and I've got a typing cramp...

Thats about half...You could just called it about 20% of the Encyclopedia that I have seen either in whole or in part.
kainzero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm just asking what anime series are important for every true fan to see in order to be considered a fan of good resource?

i think nowadays it's not about how many series or which series you watch.
if you're a fan of a certain genre and you really like several titles and you can explain why, that's pretty much all you have to do if you want people to trust you with recommendations. =P

i just don't like the term otaku. it makes me cringe. i still don't know why americans take pride in it =P actually that makes me like them just about as much as the otaku in japan. not very.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Septeus7 wrote:
I'm just asking what anime series are important for every true fan to see in order to be considered a fan of good resource?

As I said, it's not by watching specific titles making you an otaku or not. You are not an otaku even if you've watched over 1000 titles yet all you've done is simply watching. On the contrary, if you dig up and look into every aspect of a single title and are inspired to learn everything related to this title, then you are an otaku to this title. According to your list, I have several examples:

- Kenshin: learn the Japanese history and socio-political revolution during Meiji period.
- Juuni Kokki: learn the political and feudal land system of Zhou dynasty.
- Got into the world of professional boxing after watching Hajime no Ippo. Start learning all the rules and techniques, if you haven't started practicing them yourself.
- Having long discussions and/or debates over the hidden meanings behind numerous metaphors in Haibane Renmei.
- Finding a suitable power source for Chii in Chobits.

Septeus7 wrote:
Thats very hard I'll give it a shot. Some of these as partially watched. Here goes:

(snip)

I suggest you add then rate them in My Anime. With that you can keep records on which one you have watched patially or completely, and you won't have to type them in order to generate such a list. It saves time and eliminates typo. Wink

Septeus7 wrote:
Thats about half...You could just called it about 20% of the Encyclopedia that I have seen either in whole or in part.

That would be over 600 titles. Shocked Rolling Eyes You should be able to have your own judgement if you have watched that many titles in five years (that's about one title per three days).

kainzero wrote:
i just don't like the term otaku. it makes me cringe.

The term "otaku" was initially more or less like "nerd"; not something to be proud of, but not that bad either, until the serial murders committed by Tsutomu Miyazaki in 1989. After that, "otaku" has become an detestable term in Japan.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Golgo13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you've seen more than I thought. Here is what I didn't seen on your list I think is important.

-Golgo 13: Contract killer who works mostly in politics.

-Doreamon: Classic TV series about a boy and his bizzare alien friend.

-Fist of the North Star: Post-apocalyptic road warrior martial arts mayhem.

-Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets): One of the few superhero animes that don't use mecha.

-Wings of Honneamise: Gainax's first feature film and winner of numerous animation awards that tells of the tale of an alternate universe trying to reach the stars.

-Black Jack: Conspiracy drama about a surgeon with the hands of god.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
You want to be otaku? Dormcat's got it right.

It's less the amount of anime/Manga you have, but the obsessive detail you know about the shows you watch.

To give you some clue, read Oh My Goddess volume 1 (Wrong Number). Chapter name Into the Lair of the Anime Otaku (pg 31).

That'll give you some idea of what an Otaku is really like.

PS: ISBN:1-56971-669-2. Just a little info for your budding Otaku-hood lol.

I would consider myself Otaku, but I have a life.

JBV^_^
Lazuright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Personally I can see where you’re coming from. My motto is “Anime is Life, not Food!” I have to say that I might not of seen as much anime as you have, but I do share the thirst to see more! To boldly go and watch every anime, which no man has done before!

But I will tell you this; there is more to anime than just seeing it all. It’s finding yourself in anime series that touch your soul. Does anybody know what I’m trying to say? There are anime’s out there that call to us to watch them over and over. They fill us with joy, laughter, sadness, and love. And then, when you finish the last episode your left hallow and barren. You wish it never ended. That’s a true anime fan! A person who falls in love with anime, is a true “Otaku”, if you prefer the term.

Here are some anime’s I did not see on your list.
I, me, my Strawberry Eggs
Please Teacher
Tokyo Godfathers

Good luck in finding your anime.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It grates my nerves when people act like watching anime and being an "otaku" is a religion. Chill out, dude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2