• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei or Texhnolyze

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpggamer77

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Should I get Haibane Renmei or Texhnolyze first they both look awesome but I've only got enough for one right now can u guys help me out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Texhnolyze yet, but HR is absolutely incredible, and is a sure-fire must-see.
philg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
What a coincidence, I just watched the first 4 episodes of haibane-renmei last night. I haven't ever seen Texhnolyze, but I can say that HR is really good! It is VERY original and it has something to it that just makes me like..... this may be debatable but it seems to me that HR is more of a girl anime (not that that should keep you from seeing it IT"S AWESOME!) but i think it would appeal to girls more, i don't know why. Anyway hope I helped you a bit. Wink
momosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
technolyze is a very good anime i have the box and i have seen the first four dvds
owen_c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
Texhnolyze is a much longer and more paced-out series than Haibane Renmei, being 21 episodes compared to HR's 13. It is generally slower-paced and more atmospheric than Haibane Renmei. While an excellent show, it is probably the less accessible series of the two (which in my mind, should not say anything about its quality). Also, do not get it if you are easily shocked; it contains a lot of gore, dismemberment, etc.

Haibane Renmei is generally a more accessible show, but do not expect an epic, world-changing storyline of any type. While there are similar dark mysteries in the plot, like in Texhnolyze, they are an undercurrent for the most part. It thrives mostly on atmosphere and symbolism.

Both are excellent series, as you said before, so it's best to make an informed decision based on your own taste.
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
You can't go wrong with either one. It looks like you're a Yoshitoshi Abe fan, and his work is nothing short of masterful. Also, make sure you check out Serial Experiments Lain, one of the most intelligent anime series on the market. I saw this series on Anime Unleased, and it completely blew me away with its visuals and gripping story - this series got me interested in Abe's works.

I'm currently watching Texhnolyze, and despite all the gore and violence, it's an excellent series. The best part about Texhnolyze is that there's very little dialogue; Abe's masterful artwork speaks for itself.

Last edited by biliano* on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I've seen all of the Haibane series. Its Great work. One of the best told stories I've seen and fully understood in a while without all the "um...you figure it out's" that are normally thrown in a series.

However I've only seen the first 3 of Texhnolyze. ITs very visual and like a silent movie in some ways. My first impression...different, artistic and bloody. I've always been into cyberparts and a world based around it kinda intrigues me. Im not sure if I like the lack of dialogue and see it as a drawback story wise. I dont like missing anything if its intended.

So all in all Haibane would be my choice.

D.W.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ganzo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
hehe, what a weird question, I think that totally depend on your own preference, maybe you should ask yourself what kind of anime you like, any preference to director, companies, genre, story...?

Even if I tell you one is better than the another, you may still not like the one I think its better. But, personally I liek Texhnolyze better, Haibane renmei was generally to me a slow and bad story.

As for tex, you better be prepared, its so strong on style, I was just shocked, perhaps the strongest in style I have ever seen. If you seen and liked angel's egg, then go for it. But, still thats a one hour film and this one is 22episode "long".

There were almost no dialogue in the first few episodes, just weird and sometime powerful images, and then the story gets super damn good in a super slow progress, then you get to know about lux, organ, and tries to guess whose his father and all those prophecies with a mask. So hard to understand, and no way you going to get a whole picture until the end, of course a good thing.

Its dark and deep stuff. A deep anime like this I can understand some just can't stick to it after a few episodes.
Lazuright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:40 am Reply with quote
I haven’t seen Texhnolyze, but Haibane Renmei is a must see and must own.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the first volumes of each series, but I'll go with Haibane Renmei. So far, I find it to be an excellent piece of animation with great art, music, and a much lighter tone than Texhnolyze.

As was said about Tex, it's much darker in comparisson and it really is quite slow in the first volume. Although it has really intricate art and animation, unless you're willing to sit through almost 18 minutes of pictures and 2 total mintues of dialogue in the first episode, I'd give Haibane a shot, first.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
bnewhall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I've watched all of Haibane Renmei and volumes 1 through 3 of Texhnolyze, and I love them both.

HR is arguably the more accessible, but Texhnolyze is deeper and much more intricately plotted. Also, Texhnolyze has action, while HR doesn't. They're both excellent in different ways.

It depends on what you prefer.[/code]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
A Picture of Longing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd get both, honestly. Whereas Haibane-Remei is one of the most utterly beautiful pieces of animation and writing ever committed to screen, Texhnolyze is an experimental, minimalist masterpiece. I take it you're at least a bit familiar with Lain at this point, and those who gravitate more towards the abstract portions of that series will certainly find a familiar love in Texhnolyze. If you're a Ghibli fan, you'll be head over heels for Haibane-Renmei, for I've always felt it evoked a similar... utter beauty and innocence that just can't be found anywhere else. HR also made me a fan of Yoshitoshi aBe as something more than a character designer... he also wrote the series, and he takes the story to brilliant areas.

... despite having the same people behind their productions, it's almost astounding how much these series' contrast. But they're honestly both worth purchasing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei. I've owen all Haibane Renmei and really liked the characters and the slow plotting to it. I have the first 5 DVDs of Texhnolyze, but I just haven't been able to really get into it. It is an interesting anime, but boring. None of the characters aren't likable enough for me to care about them.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Both series are great but if you still hadnt made up your mind, I would tell you to go with Haibane Renmei.
Because to me HR is an anime I can watch all the time. Whetever i am sad, or in the mood, happy blah blah HR will always entertain me. For one it has one of te most original plots I ever seen plus the pastel color theme really gives this series some class.
Whereas Technolyze.. uh is a very "strong" piece and basically is not for everyone. I love both but if the situation called for it, I would buy Haibane.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Texhnolyze, but it looks neat. I've seen a few episodes of Haibane Renmei, and it was good, albiet the dub was pretty awful.

In all honestly, I'd say forget both and buy NieA_7 instead. :) I liked it better than Haibane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2