• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which famous Mangaka would you like to see in person v2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote
The previous thread was closed due to laziness of the posting users. I think it's a good idea to discuss that issue again, but now
don't make pure lists.
Don't be afraid to write why. To ask about their inspiration? Want advices? Have a questions about particular works?
Here are some examples from previous thread

Past wrote:
My choice would be Ryuta Amazume but most of his manga are strictly for adults. I love his art style and story telling, and I suppose he's not that famous because of the content and the fact that he's relatively new.

So does this thread have something to do with guest possibilities for a convention?

As for very well known mangaka my choices of ones that I've always wanted to meet are Masakazu Katsura, Rumiko Takahashi and Yuu Watase.

Classicalzawa wrote:

Anyway, alas mine can never happen: Osamu Tezuka. He died like two months after I was born so at least I got to spend some time on this planet with his life force even if I was blissfully unaware of it. I remember reading one of the sidebars in Please Save My Earth where Saki Hiwatari mentions that she passed up a chance to meet him, within a year before he died or so, but she thought herself unworthy to meet him and passed it up Sad

But seriously, we're talking about the guy who revolutionized manga to what it is today. He made tons of genres and actually made enough works to make a cast of recurring characters that worked like actors actually work! I could see how some might view his stuff as a real dinosaur, but once you get used to his somewhat dense style, he really did make an awful lot of great manga and of such high quality that the collective of pretty much all mangaka since still haven't caught up to some of his achievements. Tezuka made some of the best manga of all time, even today they still stand up to the test, the works Tezuka did were often timeless, I can't even imagine how he came up with some of his stuff and executed it! His panelling and drawing, especially in his works starting from the 70s or so, is so modern in appearance that it's hard to think how he made that cinematic approach work so flawlessly. And the volume of work he did? Over 150,000 pages, 700 titles (according to my Art of Osamu Tezuka book), and probably thousands of characters. Quantity and quality, now that's the kind of person I want to meet, how could I not?!

Hmm, now for living mangaka? Lemme think about that and get back to you on that one. It'll probably be Fumi Yoshinaga, but I'll come up with some reasons later. Akimi Yoshida would be a nice choice too, hmmm...

St_Owly wrote:
I'd like to meet:
Naoko Takeuchi, so I can quiz her on Sailor Moon. I bet she never expected it to become as big as it did.
CLAMP, as I adore everything they've made (some more than others) and it would be wonderful to find out what they're like as people, and how they come up with such amazing fashion designs.

Yuu Watase, as Fushigi Yuugi was one of my gateway drugs into manga and I really love all her work.

Arina Tanemura, as I just really adore her stories and art.
Mitsukazu Mihara, as I'd love to also ask her how she comes up with such amazing fashion designs. Same also applies for Ai Yazawa.

Setona Mizushiro, as I'd love to know how she comes up with such creepy stories. I'd also like to meet Kaori Yuki for that reason.

Also, I'd like to meet Mikiyo Tsuda and Eiki Eiki together. I love the extra comics they put in their books and I'd love to meet them and see how they work together.

Eire wrote:

classicalzawa wrote everything I wanted to write about Tezuka.
My other choice would be Riyoko Ikeda- women who created shoujo and proved that making comics doesn't dispense from proper research. That's what I've always wanted to ask her: what was her inspiration and how she did amazing research for her every work. Of course I have some questions about particular titles too: what does she think about changes in Oniisama E's anime ending and if Oscar regret that she hadn't finished her "serious talk" with Marie Antoniette.

Hope I didn't misspelled anyone.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well there are alot of mangaka I would love to meet, but I think there are only a few I wish I really understood more. Here in America we can know all kinds of details about authors, actors, filmmakers, chefs and other celebrities thanks to various interview formats. I know there is alot of japanese material concerning various mangaka, beginning with notes they personally write in their manga, but also stuff written and revealed in artbooks concerning their work.

Some companies do translate these manga sidebars, others do not. I think unfortunately the questions I would like to ask a mangaka would probably offend them, by being too personal or socially aggressive.

I would love to pick Rumiko Takahashi, Yu Watase and CLAMPs brains concerning relationships, regrets and sociatal changes. I think some of my biggest questions would be concerning their own expectations vs conceived expectations and how they have managed to compromise and create for themselves.

I am much interested in mangaka that have been in the business for decades vs new talent.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The thing I find frustrating about mangaka are that, in general, they seem to be a bit reclusive. I have been going to 1-2 anime conventions a year for the past 10 years (not always the same one - I traveled over 3,000 miles to go to AM2 recently) just to meet the guests. Anime conventions seem to have a hard time getting mangaka. Anime Expo got CLAMP one year, but seeing as CLAMP didn't do any autographs and it sounded like it was very difficult to get into their panel anyway, not sure it really counts. I have met a lot of different people I'm a fan of, but not a single mangaka.

If I had to pick one, it would be Arina Tanemura. I love her artstyle, frankly. Yes, all of her male leads end up looking more or less the same, but that's true for many shoujo mangaka. Look at Yu Watase - all of hers end up looking like Tamahome from Fushigi Yuugi. Anyway, I also enjoy her plot lines.
jdotaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
ken akamatsu and of course osamu tezuka
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
jdotaku wrote:
ken akamatsu and of course osamu tezuka

Don't just name names. What about them makes you want to meet them above any others?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
I would like to have a chance to talk with Masami Yûki. Besides one of the folks responsible for Patlabor being likely to have something interesting to say about that, I would like to sort the peculiar history of Birdy the Mighty out. How a manga came to be begun and abandoned unfinished in the late eighties, inexplicably adapted into an original video animation that leaves the larger story unfinished in the middle of the nineties, then begun anew in the first decade of this century and adapted into an quite good television series that likewise leaves the larger story unfinished is a slightly confusing path that I'd like to have explained.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Obviously he can't speak english but since this is hypothetical anyway: Eiichiro Oda. I would just like to thank him for making me have confidence in my dreams. Let's just say I don't want end up with a boring office job when I'm on my own.
danielericiverson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Tsugumi Ohba.

and then I want to meet Hiroshi Gamo and see if they are actually the same person as is rumored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1