• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam The Origin Manga to Launch Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It seems like all types are being served here.

Precisely right. We have AGE and The Origin in development just as Gundam 00 and later Unicorn were greenlighted before. For those with eyes to see, this is absolutely a balanced approach.

I'm personally just left hoping this thing is executed well enough to measure up to the stellar standards set by Gundam Unicorn. I don't think there's any denying that a creatively successful modern update to First Gundam would be the best complement to that production, as opposed to a story like Crossbone Gundam or something else.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:
Romuska wrote:
That's nice. Where are the First Gundam DVD sets Bandai promised us last year?

Bandai has quite a bit on it's plate to release. They've still got the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to release too.

They announced summer releases for both titles at Sakura-Con.

Yup, and we still don't have a release date. It's not even listed on their website.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
In the end...as with Unicorn, I'll be happy enough if it's simply a good show.

That is the thing, I think that it might have a chance if it's well written. Of what I have read of The Origin... their is enough to build a good tale with.

If anything, the only thing that I want it for this to keep me happy. Unicorn has been, if only because the production value is VERY high. AGE I am willing to give it a chance, but so far... not alot of hope that it will entertain me well, from what I have seen.
So we'll see.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
No Ecole du Ciel adaption? No F91 TV? No Crossbone?

Booooo.......

But Origin?
There is a god and he loves me today. Surprised
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited for this. So incredibly, off the hook excited. I've been working at translating my way through Japanese volumes of The Origin, and absolutely love what I've read so far - to me, it's the definitive version of the original series.

Thing is, I see why people aren't excited. There's some new stuff (and seeing it animated will be very nice), but by and large this is Mobile suit Gundam. The story and all major events are the same. The characters grow and develop in the same way. Their fates are the same. Their personalities and inter-personal relations are all the same. Unicorn is a phenomenal production that nevertheless gets the occasional slamming for being "too much like MSG"; well, this IS MSG. That said, it will be very nice to get a real remake of the original series, instead of just some half-assed inferior reimagining.
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Haha! This is wonderful news! If any Gundam manga deserves an anime, it's "The Origin"! I hope Yas gets to direct!
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well this is interesting My boyfriend was hopping it be UC related. I've been entertaining the idea of whether or not they should actually do this instead of coming up with a another AU retelling. I mean the original is getting hard to watch as quality marches on. Now i have to reread the part of origin that go released here because i can't remember if it was good or not.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't...I don't know how I feel about this. I'm with others though: Bring on that Gundam DVD set already Bandai.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how this goes. Should be nice counterpoint to Gundam AGE. Though really, I'd love to see an adaptation of the novels. They're VASTLY different from the original series, and every bit as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I read a bit of the manga and I liked it, so this is good news for me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
if they have the budget to make another UC work, they shouldnt be doing another rehash of the One Year War. There's a fantastic series with full story & character designs waiting for they to set their mind to:

The Crossbone Vanguard wars. Full two-season treatment like Gundam 00. Season one would be what F91 was meant to be. Season two would be an anime adaption of Crossbone Gundam.

For those who have not taken a look at Crossbone, do it.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
While I understand that yet another "remake" of the gundam universe and particularly the one year war period might seem tired, I have read 18 volumes of the Origin Manga and I'll have to say this even if only one people reads it: it's much, much better than both the original series and the movies (which I happen to love). It's more adult, the storytelling is more complex, some characters are more interesting since they have more development in the story (Sleggar, M'Quve, Ramba Ral...and yeah, Ramba was already awesome). It even explains a lot of stuff the original left the audience to fill in the blanks (two entire volumes deal with the rising of the Zabi family, char's childhood, etc).

If they do this right, I don't think anyone will complain once they see the finished product. Sure, I've been wanting Sunrise to finally move on and present to us new stories, either in the late U.C. or an alternative universe....or at least remake F91; make Crossbone or even Hathaway's Flash...

But this is an exception. If this has the same amount of talent and work that Unicorn has, it will be amazing.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
My immediate thought was about Bright Noa. It's been 5 years since Hirotaka Suzuoki, the seiyu for Bright had passed away, his last work being the third film in the Zeta Gundam film trilogy.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
That's totally lame, releasing a remake of an old series which is almost exactly the same. BS, and we just had Gundam Unicorn set within the UC era. Come on, give us a new series already and make up for that ridiculous Gundam 00 movie.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
We have two important questions to answer:

1. Who will be the new Char and the new Amuro?

2. What kind of project will it be? A movie? And OVA series ala Unicorn (most likely, I think)? A full Gundam series (50 episodes... fudge yeah!)... or perhaps a smaller show, numbering only half or a quarter so many episodes?

nightjuan wrote:
I haven't read The Origin myself yet but everything seems to indicate that it works as an alternate version of the same original story with only moderate differences, instead of something recreated and restructured from the ground up with other considerations in mind. In other words, it comparatively respects and largely sticks to the source material.

I've read a bit: from what I've seen, it's mostly just a few additional scenes to flesh everything out. Though I've heard that later it branches out more into re-imagining territory.

Personally, I would have rather seen the novels adapted into an anime (Kusko Al FTW!) I'll be happy, regardless: it will be good to see MSG get some modern animation. Particularly if they stay true to the 70s character designs and visual aesthetic.

nightjuan wrote:
I do share some of your mild disappointment, in terms of the lack of creative risks being taken....

Not much we can do about. Global financial crisis means the suits making anime shows, manga, games, movies, tv shows, etc., etc., are all looking to take as few risks as possible--which means remakes and sequels galore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3