• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Not sure why, but I'm not digging the fireworks thing. Maybe part of it is that Memna herself didn't appear that much in the episode. The animators are doing a great job with her facial expressions. I really cracked up at the look on her face when she was waiting for Jintan in his room and she says, "Who cares about Jintan?"
GazuliGod

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Just watched the new ep. it was kinda a shock what menmas mom said, it felt like there was a hint of evilness in her words. It gave me a wierd feeling, cant really explain it
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not sure why, but I'm not digging the fireworks thing. Maybe part of it is that Memna herself didn't appear that much in the episode. The animators are doing a great job with her facial expressions. I really cracked up at the look on her face when she was waiting for Jintan in his room and she says, "Who cares about Jintan?"

I know what you mean about the fireworks. If that is the wish then i'll be disappointed with it. I guess I was hoping the wish would be something.....better. I don't think the firework is part of the wish though since I'm certain the wish has to do with the reason Menma called everyone to the clubhouse for some secret thing.
axstoro

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
GazuliGod wrote:
Just watched the new ep. it was kinda a shock what menmas mom said, it felt like there was a hint of evilness in her words. It gave me a wierd feeling, can't really explain it

Not really evilness, but more like spoiler[thinks it stupid that they're trying to do that for menma, even though she's already dead.]
adzusa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
GazuliGod wrote:
Just watched the new ep. it was kinda a shock what menmas mom said, it felt like there was a hint of evilness in her words. It gave me a wierd feeling, can't really explain it

Memma's mother said "Fuzakete-ruwane". The line isn't for Jintan, but for her husband who destroyed Jintan's plan.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
My translation said something different:

Menma's Mom wrote:
It looks like Jinta and the others are trying their best for you.....

They're all messing around.

It's the same point, but it does sound less sinister and more in-character for the mom. She's still grieving over Menma's death, and she's starting to fade out of it, but these kids suddenly show and Menma is bouncing around in her mind again. So she's annoyed that they brought this sadness back to her, not upset that they're doing this stuff for her. That's how I'm computing it, at least.

And I like the firework thing. I'm not so much hung up on the fireworks as the letter to God they wanted to send to help Jinta's mom. I like the child-like thought process that went through it, and how happy they would've been had they actually (miraculously) pulled it off. I am curious about this secret meeting thing, though. Surely it had something to do with Jinta's mom, but what?

Oh and AnaruxJintan is soooooooooo adorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Whereas the translation I saw was "It's time to stop playing around." Because Menma's Mom was looking at a picture of Menma and had a small smile on her face after saying, "It's time to stop playing around," I got the impression she was directing the statement to Menma. My interpretation is, "Okay, good girl, your plan is working, but it's time to resolve this." I get the impression that the mom knows what Menma is doing and knows that at the end of it, she'll be able to move on.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
That makes a ton of sense. That's a theory I can get behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GazuliGod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Watched episode 8. Well she wrote a new entry in her diary while everyone was there and they read it. this is an interesting development, not really sure how things will go from here. And what did Jintan say to Saa-kun
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, clearly my interpretation of Menma's mother was wrong. She's been resenting the kids ever since Menma's death, which I kind of get. That whole, why did you all get to live and she didn't? I hope they truly have finished with that, "Jintan, you must be making this all up" thing. It was getting old.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8.

spoiler[Oh damn, Menma's mom blames the group for Menma's death. That comes out as a surprise somewhat because she was acting nice to all of them. I don't blame her though, it's the way people usually act in those circumstances. Kind of heartbreaking to see her cry like that.

Yukiatsu... Just when I begin to like you more as a person, you become a faggot douche again? Why?! I'm beginning to dislike the other "buddies" too even if they're realistic in that sense. I'd at least trust Jintan more instead of getting so angry. That's what's nice about being the viewr - you get more than one point of view.

Anaru with a ponytail, Surprised , at first I thought it was weird but I really like it. Hair Down > Ponytail > Twintails .

One thing I'd like to know is what Yukiatsu blames himself (or the group) for when he talks about Menma's death. What did they do to Menma? I have wild theories running around.]

@Blood-, I agree with what you say about the group thinks about Jintan. It kind of irks me that they won't trust him, but it also establishes the fact that grew apart or weren't really that close. Popo's a bro, so that's fine. The end of the episode was a good deliver though, it seems to resolve the Jintan issue.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I cried at the end of this episode. It started building up at the mention of silent phone calls and came out at the end. Clearly I'm a little girl.

And seriously guys? You're upset that the group didn't wholeheartedly believe Jintan, the Hikkimori/NEET that used to spend every moment locked up in his room and hasn't talked to these people (excluding the little he did say to Anaru) in years, when he was spouting off about seeing their dead friend who they're still grieving over? The group is the bad guy here?

You know what was getting old? The four of them having to listen to Jintan ramble on about how he sees and hears Menma and how she's staying at his house and dragging everyone else off into "fulfilling her wish". At first they thought it was a great idea so that maybe they'd be able to move on from the grieving the accepting. But after seeing her mom break down like that and reveal how she really feels, they decided it was time to stop playing games and move one, but were upset that Jintan was inconsiderate enough to keep up his charade. To them, that was the last straw.

So the group being skeptical and then upset over his seemingly inconsiderateness of others (the mom and themselves) is A-OK in my book.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And seriously guys? You're upset that the group didn't wholeheartedly believe Jintan, the Hikkimori/NEET that used to spend every moment locked up in his room and hasn't talked to these people (excluding the little he did say to Anaru) in years, when he was spouting off about seeing their dead friend who they're still grieving over? The group is the bad guy here?

No one here has said that. Yukiatsu is the only one in the group who seems to rub people the wrong way and for good reasons.

Quote:
You know what was getting old? The four of them having to listen to Jintan ramble on about how he sees and hears Menma and how she's staying at his house and dragging everyone else off into "fulfilling her wish".

Except he doesn't do that. Jintan has been pretty uncomfortable with the whole situation because he knows people won't believe him and that its hurting Menma and the rest of the crew to be unable to see her. He tries to mention his seeing her as little as possible. Its Poppo and the gang who keep bringing that up, and its actually Poppo who has been dragging the group together for the most part as well.
axstoro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
GazuliGod wrote:
Watched episode 8. spoiler[Well she wrote a new entry in her diary while everyone was there and they read it. this is an interesting development,] not really sure how things will go from here. And what did Jintan say to Saa-kun

Dude, spoiler tags.

This ep was pretty good Smile Cant wait to see how things play out in the next ep with spoiler[menma writing in the diary. Will They finally accept it? Or say it was set up?]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
They'd better accept it because I agree that the storyline was getting old. Understandable reactions or not, it's frustrating as a viewer to feel like you are watching something on repeat, which has started to happen with AnoHana recently. But since other things have been happening it hasn't been too bad ... but I'll be very glad to have us move past it and wish that spoiler[Menma had come up with the idea of writing to them a little sooner.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11