• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there something I've missed in Princess Miyu?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:30 am Reply with quote
Recently I sat down to watch some Princess Miyu episodes and I was surprised at how bad they were! The storylines, the characters, the voices, the morals... everything is bad... except for maybe Princess Miyu she looks awesome! anyway, the overall moral of the story (as what i understood from it) was to help people but to an extent, at the end of every episode she would just leave poor souls to suffer and she would say 'our work is done here' when it is not even nearly done!!!! Am i looking to deeply at it? Is it just a simple anime that we're not supposed to think about? Or is at actually comedy, because a lot of the time i was laughing at how stupid it was.
sorry if anyone likes princess miyu, exaplain to me why you do.
Surprised
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
My first question would be whether you are watching the OAV episodes or the TV episodes, as they do differ a lot.

Personally, I always felt Miyu handled moral issues in a refreshing way, because she and her compatriots are often not painted in black and white. As the TV series progresses you will see her character change from being rather cold-hearted (this seems to be what you're commenting on) to more compassionate. Don't judge the series by only a few early episodes.

So... yes, you are supposed to think. No, it's not a comedy. Yes, you are missing something. hehe
philg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:53 am Reply with quote
Lol thanks, maybe i should go and watch the actualy series from beginning to end. I tend to look into anime too deeply sometimes Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Lol thanks, maybe i should go and watch the actualy series from beginning to end. I tend to look into anime too deeply sometimes Razz
With the OVA one must look and listen deeply in order to get the underlying theme. With the TV series, as well as the OVA, She is basically only concerned with the Shinma. Those who have been affected, or infected depending on one's point of view, by them are lost anyway and beyond her help so she just lets them get on with it, spoiler[except when it means that a free lunch is on offer, and that her dinning habits might be beneficial to the host.] Wink
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
anyway, the overall moral of the story (as what i understood from it) was to help people but to an extent, at the end of every episode she would just leave poor souls to suffer and she would say 'our work is done here' when it is not even nearly done

If I remembered right, didn't she help those people by putting them to "sleep"? spoiler[Maybe not in the beginning TV episodes, but she seems to bite them to put the people to sleep in that wierd world of hers to stop their suffering.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1