• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Exile questions *Spoilers*

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrush

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Great series but a lot of questions went unanswered.

Its obvious they aren't on earth. Are they on some sort of artificially created world or just another planet?

Did Exile create the Grand Stream? If so why?

Why was there such a huge disparity between the Guild's technology and that of the land dwellers?

Why were Disith and Anataray at war?

What exactly was Exile's purpose? And what did it morph into ?

Where were Dio and Delphine's parents when they were young? Or do Guild children even have parents?

What did the machine do to Dio?

Who created AL?

Who shot Laura Palmer? Wink
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Exile was a spoiler[transport colony ship for transport between Earth and Prestale that was supposed to be able to automatically be able to go back and forth. So yes, it's another planet.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:04 am Reply with quote
spoiler[It alters ones personallity it seems. For Dio it seemed to just make him psychotic like Delphine.] [/spoiler]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:25 am Reply with quote
Thrush wrote:
Great series but a lot of questions went unanswered.

Not at all, most of the ones you mention are answered, but they're just not presented in the cut-and-dried, prechewed way we're used to from Hollywood films. The fact that you have to think about them to understand them is what makes great films/series great.

Thrush wrote:
Its obvious they aren't on earth. Are they on some sort of artificially created world or just another planet?

spoiler[Good question. It's another planet, clearly, and at least partially altered/artificial ("the Grand Stream" effect).]

Thrush wrote:
Why were Disith and Anataray at war?

spoiler[Water.]

Thrush wrote:
What exactly was Exile's purpose? And what did it morph into ?

spoiler[Already answered, but I'll repeat the answer: Exile was the colony ark that carried the colonists. ]

Thrush wrote:

spoiler[Already answered, but my take is that it apparently stripped away that which we call human conscience. As Kruszer notes (although he uses the term "psychotic", which is erroneous), it turned him sociopathic. Not that Dio was all that conscience-ridden, to begin with.]

Thrush wrote:
Who shot Laura Palmer? Wink

It was Sue Ellen... no wait... that was J.R. Rolling Eyes
Let me think. Oh, I remember: it was Maggie Simpson. No, wait...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I was planning on asking some questions about the end of Last Exile myself. So since we're on the subject...

spoiler[At the very end of the last episode (post grand-stream dissolving and exile revelation), I thought I saw a scene with Mullin Shetland--I was fairly certain it was Mullin--with some kids and the young Disith musketeer (I'm sorry I can't remember her name...) he fell in love with. However, a few episodes before that, I could have SWORN that Mullin died. At least it was strongly implied. So am I just mistaking different characters with one another? (probable) Or did he miraculously return to life?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, they never definitively said spoiler[that Mullin was dead. I figured that they pulled a fast one at the end].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
spoiler[However, a few episodes before that, I could have SWORN that Mullin died. At least it was strongly implied. So am I just mistaking different characters with one another? (probable) Or did he miraculously return to life?]

In ep 23, spoiler[he was badly wounded and incapacitated after the firefight trying to seize control of "Units" (core facility providing levitation power for ships of both sides, borrowed from Guild), but that does not necessary mean he was killed. He's not a person who would die easily.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The mullin shetland thing was spoiled for me when i saw the illustration that came with the last dvd. If you notice they're all looking left to someone wearing guild clothing. Is that supposed to be Dio? I thought he fell off his vanship when he had his flashback hallucination.

Another thing about the ending: were those two kids at the end supposed to me mullin's and the disith girl's? They looked to be at least 4 or 5 years old. If that's true, why didn't anyone else look older?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler, spoiler. Use the tag.

theLostProphet wrote:
Is that supposed to be Dio? I thought he spoiler[fell off his vanship when he had his flashback hallucination.]

The cover art designer tried to give you some hallucination. Mr. Green

theLostProphet wrote:
Another thing about the ending: spoiler[were those two kids at the end supposed to me mullin's and the disith girl's? They looked to be at least 4 or 5 years old. If that's true, why didn't anyone else look older?]

They are too old and too many for the couple. I'd say spoiler[at least some of those kids are orphans adopted by them (Claus, Lavie, Alvis, and probably many other adults are orphans themselves, so it is not surprising if they adopted some once they are economically independent).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Thrush wrote:

spoiler[Already answered, but my take is that it apparently stripped away that which we call human conscience. As Kruszer notes (although he uses the term "psychotic", which is erroneous), it turned him sociopathic. Not that Dio was all that conscience-ridden, to begin with.]

Interesting. I just finished the series, and I thought the circumstantial evidence suggested that Dio was a good person, if eccentric and reckless. spoiler[ The one incident with the roses when he snapped at Alvis was out of fear, and he quickly tried to make it up to her when he realized he had hurt and confused her. He never showed the slightest sign of malice - in fact, he seemed genuinely eager to make friends aside from the practical reason of finding protection from Delphine, and it's interesting that we never get his reaction to what he did in the arena because, tragically, he never comes to himself.
I also think the fact that Luciola - who knew him best and who he would have taken any bad moods out on - was so devoted to him says alot, as well as Luciola's flashback to their first meeting as children when we see how kind he was to Luciola.]
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Kelly. I also believe Dio was kind at heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:43 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with Kelly. I also believe Dio was kind at heart.

Hmm. I think spoiler[Dio's behaviour, to begin with, was that of a thoroughly spoiled child: used to having his way, and insensitive to the feelings of others - but not necessarily wicked. After the passage through the ordeal and the machine, the result was a sociopath.

However, it also seems evident that this change was not totally irreversible... certainly, his reaction to the loss of Luciola would indicate that he still hd the capacity to form human attachments.]

- abunai
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
Don't forget the comment by Claus of no wonder Dio feared his family considering they hollowed him out, plus her comment of being with Dio forever--something of the remove individuality for the group personality, maybe only shared completely by the rulers since she only said it after he'd successfully completed the test. Perhaps along the lines of the clones of Faust in Saber Marionette-given memories/knowledge of prior Guild members. The whole Prisoner/conformity issue.
The Outsider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
My question is about Alvis... spoiler[ What was she? How could she be the key to Exile? It's clear that they were on this "planet" for many years... in other words, Exile existed a long time before Alvis was even born... unless it was connected to her family leniage, or... unless she was a robot, or manufactured and never aged... ]

Another question... spoiler[At the end of the final episode, it seems that Exile goes into space, and you see something that resembles an hour-glass on it's side... was this the "planet" they were on? It would make sense... at each end you have the Disith and Natarary (sp?) and in between you have the Grand Stream... which would explain why it wasn't possible to reach either place without going through the Grand Stream... anyways... I'll shut up now.]
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
The Outsider wrote:
My question is about Alvis... spoiler[ What was she? How could she be the key to Exile? It's clear that they were on this "planet" for many years... in other words, Exile existed a long time before Alvis was even born... unless it was connected to her family leniage, or... unless she was a robot, or manufactured and never aged... ]

Another question... spoiler[At the end of the final episode, it seems that Exile goes into space, and you see something that resembles an hour-glass on it's side... was this the "planet" they were on? It would make sense... at each end you have the Disith and Natarary (sp?) and in between you have the Grand Stream... which would explain why it wasn't possible to reach either place without going through the Grand Stream... anyways... I'll shut up now.]

The importance of Alvis is spoiler[that she is the last of the Hamilton family, one of the four families that at one time controlled the Guild. It was the Hamilton family that held the genetic ability to control Exile through the recitation four mysteriums. Apparently some time before the start of the series, some form of a rebellion broke out within the Guild itself, a rebellion most likely against the hedonistic Eracles family of which Delphine is a member. The Eracles family came out on top in a victory that earned them the title of the "Bloody Eracles." The remnants of the other three Guild families were cast out. Prime Minister Marius, the Silverna's engineer, and Alvis are all from these three cast out families.

And yes, the hourglass shaped world is where the series took place.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2