• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll and Think Corp. Announce Anime Innovation Tokyo Digital Content Showcase

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
If this information doesn't prove that Crunchyroll cares more about revenue, nothing else probably will.

Even though I am a member of Crunchyroll, I am only staying because of the HD quality feature on there videos. As well as the selection.

The way Crunchyroll has companies join is similar to saying "Nenner nenner, we have a constant flow of cash, so who gives a fig about the community".
babbo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If this information doesn't prove that Crunchyroll cares more about revenue, nothing else probably will.

Even though I am a member of Crunchyroll, I am only staying because of the HD quality feature on there videos. As well as the selection.

The way Crunchyroll has companies join is similar to saying "Nenner nenner, we have a constant flow of cash, so who gives a fig about the community".

I don't think that should really come as a surprise after venrock <.<

In any case I'm kinda surprised that someone else is jumping on so soon after gonzo. Gotta wonder who's coming next <.<

The reactions to all the licensed stuff being taken (major for instance which is in it's fourth season and has yet to see a NA license) are hilarious though. Doesn't seem to be hurting them too much either (though that's only a guess of mine after a glance at alexa and the fact that the site has died quite a few times recently ;almost makes me wonder if they can't handle the traffic they're getting ) o,o

Last edited by babbo on Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they are using other sites to obtain their marketing data other than Crunchyroll.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else bothered that this Crunchyroll site is becoming such a big power in anime? I mean, it's just a crummy pirate streaming site. I can understand companies wanting to adjust their marketing strategy to the changes in the industry, but really, this just seems very weird. I can't say that I've never visited Crunchyroll, but it just seems to me like it shouldn't have this backing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Really? A Japanese government agency is actually supporting CR? What sort of message does that send? Why do we even bother respecting IP rights? Something is very amiss here.

-Tofu
babbo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Really? A Japanese government agency is actually supporting CR? What sort of message does that send? Why do we even bother respecting IP rights? Something is very amiss here.

-Tofu

That they want to make money too o,o?

Funimation said they'd been checking out crunchyroll for years. It took venrock and GDH to put them into the spotlight enough for widespread cease and desists for titles that don't have a north american licenses. I think that says a good bit about what japanese companies think about protecting IPs too <.<

Last edited by babbo on Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is anyone else bothered that this Crunchyroll site is becoming such a big power in anime? I mean, it's just a crummy pirate streaming site.

Yes, I think it's pretty nauseating too. It's difficult to see why the Japanese companies wouldn't put their weight behind BOST instead. Or, better yet, allow the NA and European companies to set up their own services.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll already received 4.5, almost 5 million dollars from a company. Crunchyroll was once a fun site, but now this has lost much of the entertainment.

As I've said earlier, the selection of anime and the HD quality option are what keeps me coming to that site.

Besides the site's greedyness, there are tons of problems with this site.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Funimation said they'd been checking out crunchyroll for years. It took venrock and GDH to put them into the spotlight enough for widespread cease and desists for titles that don't have a north american licenses. I think that says a good bit about what japanese companies think about protecting IPs too <.<

FYI, it hasn't existed for "years" yet, so you should probably stop with that rhetoric.

-Tofu
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu

On one hand does anyone know how big a mover and shaker this 'Think Corp.' is? It could be this is a pretty minor happening.

But to the part of the Japanese working with what formerly they were decrying (while giving the cold shoulder to long-standing licensees), that's not really out of habit with Japanese business practices. I think mention was made before of the somewhat shaky reputation certain segments of the Japanese business world have; ignoring foreign market input stubbornly only to undercut previous partners at the end is not something that occurred just in the anime field. Again, I wonder if this is just small potatoes and not indicative of anything larger, but I wouldn't bank too highly on 'progressive, ethical foreign market respect' from the anime industry either.
babbo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
babbo wrote:

FYI, it hasn't existed for "years" yet, so you should probably stop with that rhetoric.

-Tofu

Fine, over a year (they're 12 days short of being 2 years old as of today). I only phrased it that way because funi had said they'd been monitoring CR since 2006.

Gotta wonder how that makes it any better though. In the same article the announcement bandai released said that they've "been working with licensors in Japan, educating them about the pervasive illegal downloading and streaming of anime that has negatively impacted the market." Now why should they feel the need to do that o,o?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Although this may be typical for most companies to survive in current times, I initally thought Crunchyroll would never stoop down to average greedy corporations.

Boy was did I ever quess wrong. I understand Crunchyroll needs to continue to make funds, but to banlently annonuce all these new unities with diffrent companies makes this site look pure greedy.

Crunchyroll had received a generous four million dollar investment, and yet they continue to join with diffrent companies to make much more. This could go either way, revenue plan or pure 100% greedness.
babbo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although this may be typical for most companies to survive in current times, I initally thought Crunchyroll would never stoop down to average greedy corporations.

Boy was did I ever quess wrong. I understand Crunchyroll needs to continue to make funds, but to banlently annonuce all these new unities with diffrent companies makes this site look pure greedy.

Crunchyroll had received a generous four million dollar investment, and yet they continue to join with diffrent companies to make much more. This could go either way, revenue plan or pure 100% greedness.

Again, I just don't see how this is a surprise after venrock. CR wouldn't be looking for investors if they weren't aiming to make money. Venrock wouldn't be putting four mill into them if they didn't expect CR to make money either. Getting into partnerships with other companies is a pretty good way to do that so again, not sure how this comes as a surprise.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The entire point is to value up the company (as fast as possible) and sell.

That venture capital isn't a donation either, so all parties aim to cash out big. Don't expect the owners to stick around in the long term - they'll keep at it until some major bidder comes along.

Quote:
Crunchyroll was once a fun site, but now this has lost much of the entertainment.

Don't be fooled by the illusion they successfully conjured (designed to reel in the teens). Crunchyroll was never more than an opportunistic, 'get rich fast' scheme.

Quote:
Is anyone else bothered that this Crunchyroll site is becoming such a big power in anime? I mean, it's just a crummy pirate streaming site. I can understand companies wanting to adjust their marketing strategy to the changes in the industry, but really, this just seems very weird. I can't say that I've never visited Crunchyroll, but it just seems to me like it shouldn't have this backing.

It sends a bad message (that copyright infringement pays), that's for sure.

These license holders are just taking the easy route to alleviate a problem (by cooperating with an offender instead of taking a more challenging/expensive, proactive approach).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1