• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gokusen on Satellite TV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
straydog-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gokusen just started airing on Encore Action, and Encore WAM!

Along with it, the two aforementioned channels air, Vandread, Mirage of Blaze, Street Fighter II, Texhnolyze, Mobile Tank Police, and sometimes Hellsing, and Blood the last Vampire. I don't know if you already know this.

They air on Comcast and DirecTV. so check them out!
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
I've had Encore for about 6 years now and they've aired a lot more anime over that time. I guess you missed this. They're also going to air Appleseed the movie Aug. 26.
I've been watching Gokusen and Kumiko reminds me of a female Onizuka.
straydog-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Sciiryo wrote:
what's up gokusen sucks compared to gto

I diagree!
GTO is great.
but it lacks the style of Gokusen.
rob101085

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Gokusen but just by reading descriptions it sounds like a GTO spin-off. Hey straydog, what's this style element of Gokusen you're talking about?
Krylancelo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Heh heh, Gokusen is pretty funny. You didn't mention 10 Tokyo Warriors, and it seems pretty cool to me. (plus it's only 6 eps I think)
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if you know but on July 11, Anime Works is putting out the whole Gokusen series in an economy pack for
$20. Amazon has it for $18. Much cheaper than satellite tv Very Happy
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Completely disagree with the popular opinion here. GTO Live Action was a complete failure as a live action series. It tried to stick too much to the anime, skipping a lot of minor to major details that makes the live action a failure as a standalone. A lot of the actions of Onizuka is completely unrealistic to begin with; the drama just made it look not just stupid, but as if everything Onizuka did ended up working well due to pure dumb luck, or the major influence of Fuyutsuki's efforts (unlike the anime). I couldn't bear to watch it beyond the 6th episode.

On the other hand, Gokusen was great. Maybe a little too much melodrama but it definitely has a solid structure of comedy and drama, unlike GTO Live Action. I'm not sure what foreigners would think while watching teachers behave that way but as someone who's been under that system of education, that is not all that exaggerated. In fact, it used to be a lot worse. Putting aside the comparisons of the two series between reality, Gokusen 2 is a great sequel to boost. I expected a disappointing "redo" of the first season with a new class and new students, but the situations are new, the characters are fresh, and only Yankumi remains unchanged.

And to top it all off, Yukie Nakamura > Takashi Sorimachi.
CardcaptorWatanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I know.I watch it everyday.
Gokusen is hilarious and dramatic.But I only think its supposed to be dramatic to stress the part of the show where it Gang related and the gangs run things.

And there is another show 10 Tokyo Warriors.Which is horrible. The animation is okay.But the voice actors need to learn how to Lip Sync.They star talking even before the characters mouth moves or are still talking when the characters mouth is closed.Plus its pretty boring.The fight scenes lack fight :-/
khyllea_19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
i love both of those programs..................ano ba makukuha nyo kung magtatalo kayo? Embarassed
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
CardcaptorWatanuki wrote:
And there is another show 10 Tokyo Warriors.Which is horrible. The animation is okay.But the voice actors need to learn how to Lip Sync.They star talking even before the characters mouth moves or are still talking when the characters mouth is closed.Plus its pretty boring.The fight scenes lack fight :-/

LOL I thought that I was the only one who felt like that. Omg I totally agree with you on that comment. I think the show was low budget or something along those lines, because before watching it on Encore I've never even heard of it. I dont exactly know why the show was so....lacking good production, but I still like to watch it when its on and laugh at how terrible it is.
Thaimex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
Aww, I wish I had Encore because I really like Gokusen. Even though I've only seen teh first two volumes I can easily say its one of my favorite comedies.

Thats awesome that Animeworks is putting out a Gokusen set for under 20 bucks.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
It's on right now, Thilamex! Anyways, yes this show is great
CardcaptorWatanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
LOL I thought that I was the only one who felt like that. Omg I totally agree with you on that comment. I think the show was low budget or something along those lines, because before watching it on Encore I've never even heard of it. I don't exactly know why the show was so....lacking good production, but I still like to watch it when its on and laugh at how terrible it is.

Aha!Someone agrees with me!Thankyou.Pfft,I bet it was low budget.I had never heard of it either.I was excited to watch it seeing as it is a new anime I had never seen before.But that excitement fell.Erg.It's so bad. Evil or Very Mad
Ilikeulikeme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I like this show gokusen. It is really funny and how she always messes up and reveals her identity but the kids are too stupid to know, ha. Though, whats up with vice principal?

10 Tokyo Warriors does indeed suck. In the middle it threw some stuffo in it, out of nowhere. It just expected one to accept that that happened in the middle of the story, I thought I missed an episode.

edited for spelling
LovemetalHIM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen GTO Live Action, so i can't exactly say anything on it, but Gokusen was one of the coolest animes i have ever seen, for the fact it kind of is like normal high school. i haven't heard of an all male school with female teachers, but im sure if there was one it would be alot like this anime series ^__^
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2