• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Minds of Lain Come Together for I.G.'s 20th Anniversary

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Limitations on thread titles are a pain... and since it's kind of vague...

It was recently revealed that Production I.G.'s 20th anniversary project will air this fall. The main driving forces behind this project listed so far as Ryutaro Nakamura as the director, Chiaki J. Konaka writing the script, Masamune Shirow with the production idea, and Mariko Oka. (Thanks to the folks at AoD forums for the information.) It's title is Ghost Hound, and it's website just went up.

Honestly, I can't remember being this excited for an upcoming anime in a good while, let alone for one that I don't even know the plot of. For those familiar enough with the above listed names (myself I haven't seen anything with Oka involved, but his character designs in Jigoku Shojo seem quite interesting) and appreciative of their work, you might be able to understand where the anticipation comes from.

I've never been fanboy of Production I.G. by any means, but from the majority that I've come across (Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and the collaborative effort with Gainax on FLCL) I've really loved their stuff. They have downright amazing visuals with utterly smooth animation and great soundtracks. Masamune Shirow is in the same boat as I've always felt GitS to be better in animated form than on paper, so to speak.

However, what really draws me in are the two main names given, Ryutaro Nakamura and Chiaki J. Konaka. Both of them have worked together on Serial Experiments Lain and Kino's Journey (Konaka only on the upcoming movie of the latter, but still)... and Magic User's Club, amusingly enough. I really loved both series, so Nakamura is enough incentive for me to check it out. Tossing Konaka in there just sweetens the deal for me since I'm his biggest fanboy around. Without a doubt, you can expect Ghost Hound to be one of the most surreal anime to be churned out of the woodworks in recent years.

It may not be set to come out until the fall season, yet I can't help but spread the word around early. I know that it is unfair to say so, but with the talent involved and the fact that I.G. is going to pour money into this like crazy, I'd suspect that this could turn out to be a runner for best anime of the year.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not noticed Konaka's name on an anime since Texhnolyze. Admittedly I've not checked hit site for a while..
I'll be interested in seeing the Kino vs. Cthulhu movie also :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
It was recently revealed that Production I.G.'s 20th anniversary project will air this fall. The main driving forces behind this project listed so far as Ryutaro Nakamura as the director, Chiaki J. Konaka writing the script, Masamune Shirow with the production idea, .

That link for Masamune Shirow directs to Chiaki J. Konaka again.
Masamune Shirow I think this should work.
Hard to decide with so little information available, however, from the names you are throwing out, I would be interested. I can't understand a lick of the Japanese site, (pretty pic) so that doesn't help.
I almost didn't look at this thread at first because I hated Lain, however, when I did click, the name I was drawn to was Masamune Shirow...I am a fangirl of his art. I always like the android designs...which isn't to say this show will have that I guess.
I suppose it will be a very long time until I get to see this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1