• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Laputa: Castle in the Sky's Climax Fails to Trend #1 on X/Twitter in 19th Airing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm blaming elon
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a lot of people in Japan are like me, and have left Twitter behind in the past few years. (Honestly, I don't get how it's still such a big thing, if all I ever hear is people complaining about it.)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a normal misconception that the unfortunate meaning of island's name in spanish is a coincidence.

It is not, Jonathan Swift was paroding London when created Laputa and the name do means Theslut as a parody.

No idea if Miyasaki knew of this or just didn't care when he named the floating island.

As a side note, there are not 1 but 2 spanish translations using the "Laputa", they are hilarious to watch, you swear the voice actors are holding back the laughs during some scenes.

"La fuente de poder de laputa" phrase is specially funny.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for keeping us updated ANN.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:55 am Reply with quote
Probably because it's not a novelty anymore, and many people don't watch linear TV anymore neither (they DVR or stream at their own time of convenience)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Probably because it's not a novelty anymore, and many people don't watch linear TV anymore neither (they DVR or stream at their own time of convenience)

In less than two days, ww should learn the live TV ratings in Tokyo's Kanto region. Then we can see if the live rating really dropped that much from the last airing, that it could explain not appearing on X/Twitter's Trending chart this year.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:12 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
It's a normal misconception that the unfortunate meaning of island's name in spanish is a coincidence.

It is not, Jonathan Swift was parodying London when created Laputa and the name do means Theslut as a parody..

[[citation needed]] Laughing
Quote:
As a side note, there are not 1 but 2 Spanish translations using the "Laputa", they are hilarious to watch, you swear the voice actors are holding back the laughs during some scenes.

Maybe two in Spanish_LA, in Spain there is one where the island is called "Lapyuta" (dunno if they did another one later on, free from Disney control).
In any case, the movie has always been released as "The Castle in the Sky".

As a trivia, Dragon Fall, a Spanish parody of Dragon Ball (and, basically, every other manga) had a panel where their "Goku" reach Kami's house and he screams "¡Laputa*! ¡Un castillo en el cielo!". I rolled in tears for a long time.
(*a pun with a swearword in Spanish which I won't translate)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

It is not, Jonathan Swift was parodying London when created Laputa and the name do means Theslut as a parody..

[[citation needed]] Laughing
Quote:
As a side note, there are not 1 but 2 Spanish translations using the "Laputa", they are hilarious to watch, you swear the voice actors are holding back the laughs during some scenes.

Maybe two in Spanish_LA, in Spain there is one where the island is called "Lapyuta" (dunno if they did another one later on, free from Disney control).
In any case, the movie has always been released as "The Castle in the Sky".

As a trivia, Dragon Fall, a Spanish parody of Dragon Ball (and, basically, every other manga) had a panel where their "Goku" reach Kami's house and he screams "¡Laputa*! ¡Un castillo en el cielo!". I rolled in tears for a long time.
(*a pun with a swearword in Spanish which I won't translate)

Nop, there is a reason there are 2: one from LA, one from EU.

This video compares both translations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V84YgxJVDmY
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
As a side note, there are not 1 but 2 spanish translations using the "Laputa", they are hilarious to watch, you swear the voice actors are holding back the laughs during some scenes.

"La fuente de poder de laputa" phrase is specially funny.

Technically, there are 2 European Spanish dubs and one Latin American Spanish dub. I watched the first European Spanish dub where they renamed the island to "Lapuntu", which I think was used in some translations of Gulliver's Travels, but they made a second dub where they kept the original name. The Latin American dub did kept the name as Laputa, in fact, Sheeta's VA in the Latin American Spanish dub, Betzabé Jara, made a few stories about Castle in the Sky's dub in her Instagram account, she mentioned that Castle in the Sky's dub was recorded in 2008, that the the script they were using was the one for the subtitled version and that the studio in charge, Zima, wasn't that big and the people working on the dub, including Betzabé, didn't now too much about Ghibli or the movie itself, some of the VAs were wondering if they could rename the island, but I think the voice director said they should stick to the original script, no matter how akward it sounded.
I know Ghibli's has some strict standards in regards to their movies' localizations, but in cases like Castle in the Sky they should have renamed the island for the Spanish dubs.
Trollhiti Tour Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how this is news or anything. Unless it's just an excuse to talk about some conspiracy thing like the first two posters who think this is Elon Musk's fault or something lol. Is a movie not trending on the internet really a big deal?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Nikkan Sports reported on Monday that the movie's live household rating in Tokyo's Kanto region was 13.7%. That's actually higher than its last airing in August 2022.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/2d409382bc5e2a47e77fc4309e1c219bff8ffc94
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Trollhiti Tour Guide wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how this is news or anything. Unless it's just an excuse to talk about some conspiracy thing like the first two posters who think this is Elon Musk's fault or something lol. Is a movie not trending on the internet really a big deal?

This movie once set world records for posts per second, so it is at least interesting — especially in Japan, where several newspapers published articles about it not even charting on X/Twitter this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Nikkan Sports reported on Monday that the movie's live household rating in Tokyo's Kanto region was 13.7%. That's actually higher than its last airing in August 2022.

That still just makes it the 3rd-lowest. How did the one before do?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The movie ranked #1 and #2 on the Trending chart worldwide on Twitter in August 2022.

https://www.rbbtoday.com/article/2022/08/13/201076.html
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2022/08/13/kiji/20220813s00041000161000c.html
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:30 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The movie ranked #1 and #2 on the Trending chart worldwide on Twitter in August 2022.

https://www.rbbtoday.com/article/2022/08/13/201076.html
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2022/08/13/kiji/20220813s00041000161000c.html

Huh, so ratings don't matter. Seems people just don't want to do it this year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2