• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How to Make Your Anime a Meme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassgs435

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
I fail to see how Bocchi is so different from Nokotan in terms of changing and adding to the source, but to each their own. I guess it can be dissapointing when the marketing promises a 10/10 or at least 8/10 and you get a 7/10 at best, but 7/10 is still fine. That said, marketing's job is also to make people know the show exists. Then, it's on the show itself to prove itself and find itself a fanbase. We'll see if Nokotan can find itself an stable fanbase of it's just like by weirdos like me. Regardless, I feel they've done a good job at the first mission of getting people to notice the show.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:03 am Reply with quote
For positive meme inclusion, I'm reminded of Futoku no Guild using the distracted boyfriend meme as a successful gag to appeal to foreign audiences.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Is the sanctity of meme culture really the sort of thing that requires this level of umbrage? I know it's the topic of the week, but I still think you guys may have just graduated to "old men yelling at clouds" status.

Congratulations, I have been here for years.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The "Gajin 4koma" meme has been in anime for decades now. It was in Henjin No Salad Bowl last season and just recently in Nige Jozu no Wakagimi as well Japan loves it, almost as much as they do Yamchas death pose.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I first saw a trailer for Nokotan I was like "oh this looks pretty wild!" but then when I looked again, and saw later trailers, I realised it's probably gonna be kinda average. Kill Me Baby had a super catchy OP and and ED that went memetastic (tho I preferred the OP), and it was overall a kinda average comedy that I honestly never finished watching all of because it was a little boring at times.
I was watching anime during the period of viral OP songs like Joshiraku, Nyaruko or Time To Attack from Jormungand (her name is Koko she is loco I said oh no) and the weirdass flash cartoons that used to get made (and my beloved gdgd fairies), so I feel like maybe for me Nokotan doesn't have the shine it does to newcomers to "weird" anime.
I haven't watched Nokotan yet though so I can't speak on what it's actually like, but this column kinda feels a little like what I expected.

lmao at trying to get non JP influencers to promote the series before it even came out. there's getting pro cosplayers to cosplay your upcoming series and then there's...that.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:07 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
lmao at trying to get non JP influencers to promote the series before it even came out. there's getting pro cosplayers to cosplay your upcoming series and then there's...that.

To be fair alot of anitubers do "season previews" and "look foward to this show" type videos, so that's not that farfetched. The problem is that they were just looking to offer assistance in the production of said videos by sharing promotional materials but instead of getting someone who actually knows how to talk to western influencers, "Shuta from REMOW" went and called it a "collaboration opportunity" which is influencer talk for "we have a bag for you if you do something for us", which set expectations all wrong.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I was NOT expecting this review to basically point out Nokotan didn't even do anything actually genuinely funny and or innovative, from the marketing it seemed like it was going to be the comedy of the year. While this makes me happy that I wont need to check it out after all, its sad all that memetic fun never got realized.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
I was NOT expecting this review to basically point out Nokotan didn't even do anything actually genuinely funny and or innovative, from the marketing it seemed like it was going to be the comedy of the gear. While this makes me happy that I wont need to check it out after all, its sad all that memetic fun never got realized.

Why not watch an episode or 2 and form your own opinion? This is the opinion of 2 randos. Why do you worship it as objective fact? They're not "pointing out" anything, just stating their opinions and why they feel that way. But comedy and entertaiment in general is highly subjective, so give it a try. Even if it's not the super revolution it was promised, I still think it's a pretty funny show and worth the watch
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1