• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lycoris Recoil Anime Gets 6 Anime Short Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
I would have preferred a sequel but any new LycoReco is good to have. I'd like to see Takina making more shi.. original recipe and the coming back of English Teacher Chisato ( Yes i can't forget this legendary 8th episode ).
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
I would have preferred a sequel but any new LycoReco is good to have. I'd like to see Takina making more shi.. original recipe and the coming back of English Teacher Chisato.

The ANN writer missed the part where they confirmed this is unrelated to the "new project" announcement a while back. It's misleading, since mentioning the announcement but not clarifying that these shorts are unrelated makes people think that announcement was about these SoL stories.
The proper sequel is still on the works
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
I would have preferred a sequel but any new LycoReco is good to have. I'd like to see Takina making more shi.. original recipe and the coming back of English Teacher Chisato ( Yes i can't forget this legendary 8th episode ).
Before people go nuts with that - there is a LycoReco anime project that is still in the works (yeah, this is not what they announced in 2022, but the entirely new announcement) - and this is the SoL small stuff like what GuP had.

Last edited by WANNFH on Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
I thought last year's announcements were referring to these shorts. Is there a link to confirm ?
Edit : didn't actualize to see your new reply. Thank you.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
I thought last year's announcements were referring to these shorts. Is there a link to confirm ?
Yeah, it's not - it's from today stream where Adachi confirms that it's an entirely new project - while Chika Anzai tweet also clarifies that.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Tiding people over until season 2.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote
They're also doing NFTs.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're also doing NFTs.

Unfortunate. But that'd be Aniplex idea, who are under Sony. So Sony approved NFTs for LycoReco. Will you unsub CR? Or will you keep your subscription to the site owned by NFT peddlers?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're also doing NFTs.

Sadly not too uncommon in Japan, just stopped being news.

I am curious if these are actually movies as in they will go to cinema or if these are OVA/ONA's. And if going to cinema will they be a compilation film or are they trying to get people to pay movie tickets for 6 featurettes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
Unfortunate. But that'd be Aniplex idea, who are under Sony. So Sony approved NFTs for LycoReco. Will you unsub CR? Or will you keep your subscription to the site owned by NFT peddlers?

First of all Aniplex is owned by Sony Music which is an entirely different branch of Sony than the branch that owns Crunchyroll which is Sony Pictures. Second of all Crunchyroll is owned by Sony in the US, not Sony in Japan. Third that's not how any of this works but nice try at a gotcha.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
OK then. Stil, the NFT thing won't change my love for the show and my looking foward to both these SoL stories and the proper continuation, in whatever form it may take (Movie, S2?). We need more shows about girls with guns. (Blue Archive could've been that, but the animation and art style are quite mediocre for the anime and don't reach the highs of LycoReco)
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:40 am Reply with quote
I hope it's in OVA/ONA format.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're also doing NFTs.

I'm not sure what the issue is How does that affect you personally when it comes to enjoying the show?
FishLion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They're also doing NFTs.

I'm not sure what the issue is How does that affect you personally when it comes to enjoying the show?

NFTs are gross because of environmental issues.

8billiontrees.com wrote:
It has been estimated that minting an NFT using the Ethereum platform uses more than 260 kilowatt-hours of electricity. This is the same amount of electricity the average American household required over a period of 9 days.

That's just making them, then you have to sell them, which uses more energy

frontiergroup.org wrote:
NFTs are minted on the Ethereum blockchain, the second most popular after Bitcoin. One analysis found the energy footprint of the average transaction on this network is roughly 35 kWh — about the same as powering a refrigerator for a month. But NFT transactions also involve minting, bidding, selling and transferring a digital token. All these actions are costly, adding up to an average of 369 kWh — over 10 times as much energy. One researcher calculated that a certain artist selling two pieces of artwork used over 175 MWh, creating the greenhouse gas emissions of 21 years of a U.S. household’s electricity use.

In other words, though many forms of consumption create some degree of waste, minting 1000 NFTs for sale as a promotion could use enough energy to power a house for 25 years, and that's not the energy used by selling them. It seems so nonsensical to use what would on average be about $34,000 dollars worth of energy to sell a thousand pieces of art.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
FishLion wrote:
NFTs are gross because of environmental issues.

All of this is fine. No one has said NFTs are good or asked why they're bad. People have asked: why even mention it? And how does it affect enjoyment of the show itself? This seems like an executive idea and not the staff's idea, so who cares? I'm not gonna let execs being stupid not-so-nice-people stop me from enjoying the staff's work. (Else we should only enjoy Kyoani shows and a very limited number of shows that aren't made by exploiting staff). The same person who posted about the NFTs told me this doesn't affect Sony as a whole and is just one of their branches , thus supporting CR is not supporting NFT peddlers.

Same logic applies then: This isn't the staff's idea thus supporting and enjoying the show itself, isn't supporting NFT peddlers.

If the show is ruined by the NFTs, so is Sony as a whole and supporting and keeping a subscription to CR (owned by Sony) is supprting NFT peddlers. If supporting CR is not supporting NFTs, same applies to supporting the show itself
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2