• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Loner Life in Another World Anime Reveals 1st Video, More Cast, Theme Song Artists

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
What’s with the generic character names?
Thulebox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
What’s with the generic character names?

It's kinda similar to Goblin Slayer except this does have some characters with actual names.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:20 pm Reply with quote
He's a loner but of course he's still chased by women!

Also...Nudist Girl!?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kinda hard to tell them apart with those "names". Their generic faces (sorry, character designer) also don't help.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:29 am Reply with quote
So does it want to be a persecuted OP character anime? A Harem Anime? Or a Bog Standard grind to being OP anime? Making its character intros be generic NPC names indicates that it doesnt think much of its characters.

The promo art makes it look like a generic Love Hina style harem anime. But the intro makes it look like Arifureta before it escaped its own start.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:48 pm Reply with quote
So to clarify for people who are wondering why the names are "generic", this is what the MC calls them because he can't remember anyone's names. It's a running gag. Nudist girl and Fish girl are by far the funniest in terms of why he calls them that and what he thinks about them. In fact that's going to be interesting in how they adapt this, as the majority of the LNs are told in the MCs inner monologue.

Also another point of clarification: this is more of a comedy than a power fantasy isekai. Albeit one that gets pretty repetitive after a few volumes in the LNs. But it's still miles better IMO than most comedy isekai that I've seen/read, outside of maybe KonoSuba.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1