• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio 3Hz Transfers Animation Planning, Production Business to A-1 Pictures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
この度弊社は、アニメ事業を株式会社A-1 Picturesに譲渡いたしました。

I wonder what they will do now. This seems like they are basically removing themselves from anime production completely.
Velluekk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
Any thoughts on what's next for Solo Leveling S2? Seems like it's always a rollercoaster of losses for the franchise
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:
Any thoughts on what's next for Solo Leveling S2? Seems like it's always a rollercoaster of losses for the franchise

What "rollercoaster of losses"? Blu-ray sales aside, the anime has been performing extremely well on CR, and from what I could find, the Netmarble gacha game has also been doing pretty well.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this has no impact on the remaining princess principal movie.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Hopefully this has no impact on the remaining princess principal movie.

I think a different studio (Actas) is handling the movies; this changes should not affect them in theory.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Quote:

I wonder what they will do now. This seems like they are basically removing themselves from anime production completely.

It reads to me like 3Hz is just done. The article literally says the all the same staff are working at A-1. Sad.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I assume that any remaining vestige of Studio 3Hz would just be a holding company for their IP. As a studio with a good amount of original works, I'm sure that may keep some small trickle of revenue coming in for the short term.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Quote:

It reads to me like 3Hz is just done. The article literally says the all the same staff are working at A-1. Sad.

So, all of their current shows will move over to other studios. At least they were able to move current projects over to different studios instead of just trying to make things work. Since they "removing themselves from animation" they might just be a publisher in the meantime for the few titles they do have, rather than try and struggle.

Velluekk wrote:

I recall the solo leveling gacha game made something like $40 million in its opening month. That's already a success even if the BD sales where a non-event. They are hardly a measure of success anyway.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks, I really liked Flip Flappers, Princess Principal and Blackfox.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember when this at the time still very new studio gave the world Flip Flappers, I was honestly hyped for them. Like "Dang, if this is the kind of thing we can expect from them regularly going forward, then that's so cool, they can be like the new Shaft."

And then they proceeded to never again make anything even remotely resembling Flip Flappers.

I suppose business is business, and it's not as if Flip Flappers was a resounding financial success or anything. Still though, I personally consider it one of my favorite anime ever made, and now in light of this news I can't help but wonder "what if?"
Velluekk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Quote:

So, all of their current shows will move over to other studios. At least they were able to move current projects over to different studios instead of just trying to make things work. Since they "removing themselves from animation" they might just be a publisher in the meantime for the few titles they do have, rather than try and struggle.

Velluekk wrote:

I recall the solo leveling gacha game made something like $40 million in its opening month. That's already a success even if the BD sales where a non-event. They are hardly a measure of success anyway.

I just found out that Netmarble is part of the production committee. This means that even if the anime doesn't perform well on streaming platforms, it can still be considered successful because the budget comes from the gacha game. No wonder 'Date A Live' is still getting more seasons, as their gacha game remains very active in China and Japan.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hideaki Kubo, who was the producer for Dimension W, mentioned in his Twitter that he's working at A-1 now.
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Was never huge on Studio 3Hz since they didn't exactly hit the ground running with Sora no Method. But really liked Healer Girl and would've loved to have seen more stuff in that universe. It sucks that in terms of anime originals they are seemingly closing their doors with easily their worst outing in The Marginal Service.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is wild af. From two different articles atop of the front page:

Yuichiro Matsuka along with Muneki Ogasawara, Masaki Tachibana, and Kōichi Arai founded Studio 3Hz in 2013.

Founded in March 2008, Kinema Citrus is known as a pillar in the anime industry for producing high-quality, compelling series. It was founded by Muneki Ogasawara, a former Production I.G producer, alongside Yuichiro Matsuka and Masaki Tachibana.

I guess they're focusing more on Kinema Citrus...
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
Ok this is wild af. From two different articles atop of the front page:

Yuichiro Matsuka along with Muneki Ogasawara, Masaki Tachibana, and Kōichi Arai founded Studio 3Hz in 2013.

Founded in March 2008, Kinema Citrus is known as a pillar in the anime industry for producing high-quality, compelling series. It was founded by Muneki Ogasawara, a former Production I.G producer, alongside Yuichiro Matsuka and Masaki Tachibana.

I guess they're focusing more on Kinema Citrus...

Maybe but a reminder that Citrus is owned by Kadokawa but still have the same management as they were since started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2