• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Games Get Collection for Switch, PS4, PC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Low-key one of the best announcements at the Direct.

Too bad about no Xbox version, I guess.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Perfect companion piece for X-Men '97.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Was a bit of a jaw-dropper of an announcement out of the blue. This legitimately opens up the possibility of specifically Disney getting a fire lit under their arse to maybe push for a proper Marvel 4 to start happening. I hope it does well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Low-key one of the best announcements at the Direct.

Too bad about no Xbox version, I guess.

Yeah, I was a bit baffled by the lack of the Xbox One/Xbox Series S/X version. I wonder why?

AiddonValentine wrote:
Perfect companion piece for X-Men '97.

Yep, X-Men 97 has been getting a lots of hit since it's Disney+ debut. I better hope we can the Konami's 1992 X-Men beat em up game back on current gen consoles given that it was removed from PSN and Xbox Live store in 2013, and given that retro game are making a comeback in this day and age (Konami was able to bring back TMNT retro game in the form of Cowabunga Collection, so it should be possible for Konami and Marvel to revive this game for current consoles). This is a great time to be both a retro gamer and being a X-Men fan.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
light turner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Was a bit of a jaw-dropper of an announcement out of the blue. This legitimately opens up the possibility of specifically Disney getting a fire lit under their arse to maybe push for a proper Marvel 4 to start happening. I hope it does well.

If it'll be anything like Infinite then no thanks. I imagine there's too many mandates these days to do a proper Marvel VS Capcom game. I'm surprised the old ones are even being acknowledged since their depictions of the Marvel characters aren't in-line with what they want the characters to be in the modern age.
Smongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This legitimately opens up the possibility of specifically Disney getting a fire lit under their arse to maybe push for a proper Marvel 4 to start happening. I hope it does well.

Considering that Marvel Comics was bankrupt around the 80s-90s desperately handing out rights to studios and companies like Sony and Capcom (hence why we’re bless w/ all the amazing marvel games) to stay afloat, to Capcom beginning development of MVC 3 right around/before Marvel Entertainment was bought by Disney in 2009, to the blunder/unfortunate fate MVC: I was subjected to w/ Disney not allowing a single character of their own getting combo-ed in video (plus other things) to the state the MCU is w/ learning 10 movies/shows later why Iron Man drinks Bud instead of Coors & the box office bombs it’s been getting.

It’s more than likely we’ll be get a MVC 4/5 (if we count Infinite) and/or Disney gives Capcom the right to be one of the sole developers to create any Marvel games of any kind. This really gives me hope.
Smongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It’s more than likely we’ll be get a MVC 4/5 (if we count Infinite) and/or Disney gives Capcom the right to be one of the sole developers to create any Marvel games of any kind. This really gives me hope.

*Disney before MVC:I made the right move of allowing the re-releasing UMVC 3 and Kevin Feige going on interviews and meetings say they’ll be cutting half of the MCU projects to just focus on getting back to making quality movies. Disney really fumbled w/ MVC: I and hopefully are changing right now.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:20 pm Reply with quote
It’s about time! Fans of the series have been waiting for years for this to release. This was one of my biggest regrets in buying a ps4 when it came out (I wasn’t aware it wasn’t backwards compatible with other games).

In other news, I’m shocked ANN hasn’t picked up Crunchyroll’s summer lineup announcement yet but it looks like it’s been a busy day for everyone.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Sure the Early Marvel vs Capcom Games are an excellent collection of Retro Games. The real gem is…The Punisher! A 2 Player team up of Colonel Nick Fury and Frank Castle Punishing all the bad guys in the Marvel Universe. There is no better Punisher Game! Aside from The 2 Capcom D&D games, there is no other Game I have wanted more.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This was very surprising, though great to see. Just getting MvC2 would have been great, but seeing it in a (what seems to be) great looking collection is just over the top =)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Smongo wrote:

Yeah after the NFL gave exclusive video game rights to EA for a decade and a half I don’t see Marvel/Disney being stupid enough to do this. When they stand to make more money off letting multiple companies license their products for video games.

light turner wrote:
If it'll be anything like Infinite then no thanks. I imagine there's too many mandates these days to do a proper Marvel VS Capcom game. I'm surprised the old ones are even being acknowledged since their depictions of the Marvel characters aren't in-line with what they want the characters to be in the modern age.

Visually or writing wise?

Cause I’m pretty sure Marvel doesn’t care about most of their characters being in their 90’s era/outfits whereas the character writing isn’t to divorced from how the characters are traditionally written in the comics even if it is on the shallow side of things.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:47 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:

Pretty sure some of the issues with Infinite were attributed to Ike Perlmutter who was dropped from Marvel a year ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This made my day!
psh_fun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Visually or writing wise?

Cause I’m pretty sure Marvel doesn’t care about most of their characters being in their 90’s era/outfits whereas the character writing isn’t to divorced from how the characters are traditionally written in the comics even if it is on the shallow side of things.

You say that but X-Men 97 changed a lot of stuff from the 90s series to be more in line with the modern depictions of the characters even if it wasn't consistent with what was in the original series. All I can really think of in these games are stuff like this was before Iceman was retconned into being gay, before Psylocke was retconned into not being Betsy, and Nick Fury being white. But for all we know they could make some changes to this collection like they did in the Capcom Fighting Collection where they censored some sexual Morrigan stuff and changed some Hong Kong flags to release the game in China. Guess we'll have to wait an see how this collection is.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:23 am Reply with quote
psh_fun wrote:
You say that but X-Men 97 changed a lot of stuff from the 90s series to be more in line with the modern depictions of the characters even if it wasn't consistent with what was in the original series.

The original 93 X-Men series itself changed a number of elements from the comic books in addition to being less violent and sexually brazen aside from that infamous scene with Rogue. So it’s a wash.

psh_fun wrote:
All I can really think of in these games are stuff like this was before Iceman was retconned into being gay, before Psylocke was retconned into not being Betsy, and Nick Fury being white.

Well for what it’s worth Iceman sexuality was of no consequence in the games that featured him.

The Psylocke thing was a mess that thankfully all adaptations have wisely chosen to more or less disregard.

And the original Nick Fury still exists in the mainstream comics

psh_fun wrote:
But for all we know they could make some changes to this collection like they did in the Capcom Fighting Collection where they censored some sexual Morrigan stuff and changed some Hong Kong flags to release the game in China. Guess we'll have to wait a see how this collection is.

Yeah I don’t see them doing any of that kind of stuff with these games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2