• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sing "Yesterday" for Me (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote

Sing "Yesterday" for Me (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Drama, Romance, Seinen

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Rikuo has graduated from college, but has zero ambition or direction and works in a convenience store. A strange high-school dropout, Haru, keeps coming around with her pet crow. Rikuo still has a crush on his senior Shinako, who is beginning a teaching career, and who shows up in the store one day. Rikuo's relationships with the girls, and his feelings about his life, keep changing as the story evolves, bringing in other important characters—Rikuo's co-worker, the coworker's sister, and a childhood friend of Shinako's, etc.
(from manga)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Even if not entirely the peppy kind, Haru kind of felt in the first episode like a risk of being too much of a "quirky" manic pixie girlfriend. Setting her up as an interesting character carrying a crow around, while being more of a call for attention that would probably be annoying. But there seems to be more about her so waiting to see what there is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So I am generally happy that Rikuo and Shinako did not actually end up together in the end, whatever chemistry they might of had was honestly just not interesting. It really felt like Rikuo was clinging to an old crush that he was rejected on, and Shinako was just going through a motions of trying to move past her dead ex-boyfriend that just felt unhealthy every way, that she just needed to go through some counselling to figure things out. Also her maybe work feelings out to not be the way she was with the high school student brother of her old boyfriend. But also, I am not sure how I feel about Rikuo with Haru either, since he was kind of shitty towards her for good stretches of the show, hurting her, that I really don't think she should just quickly accept him as a boyfriend and say that she will get him to propose.

Generally I was pretty bored with this show, I really did not care for the type drama it had, that you had these characters juggling the turning down of someone while also feeling like they were leaving them hanging. Most of these relationships felt unhealthy and something they should break rather than keep feeding. I know that there was a story in there about getting yourself out of a rut and moving forward such as Rikuo picking up photography, but honestly I found the way it was done was just too boring, and none of its attempts to be quirky landed with me. I should love a strange ED that is in the style of an old bullet hell like video game, but I just found it too forced. I think worst of all is that I really just did not connect that well with Rikuo as a main character, and thus his relationships with Haru and Shinako in extension. And I really did not care about their stuff either. I could not even tell you if I remember what exactly was the deal with how Haru went from a reserved lonely girl, to somehow changing after meeting Rikuo to her pushed out of school for working in a bar or something.

Also, smoking, maybe all the things like smoking felt super dated. It looked okay as a series, I think that is a benefit, if it actually kept my attention. I was still weirded out by a single frame a couple episodes ago where a clock had its numbers wrong, clockwise being 12 6 3 9, I am not sure if that was meant to be some deep symbolism, that kind of feels out of left field if it was.

My rating is So-so (5/10), one of those shows that I am sure a lot of people will love and can read all sorts of meaningful things from, but for me it really did not catch my attention.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
I ended up basically liking this show (rated it Good) even though things in it rubbed me the wrong way. Earlier on, I thought that Haru and the kid brother were going to end up as a couple which at least would have been age appropriate. It's probably due to sexism, but I feel less weirded out by Haru ending up with Rikou than I do with Shinako being with the kid brother. Maybe the fact that Shinako is a teacher and the kid is basically JUST out of high school is what's skeeving me out a bit? Or the fact that we saw him in flashbacks as a kid more than we saw flashbacks of a younger Haru?

The show had a fairly pervasive sense of meloncholy about it that didn't make it the easiest show to watch but I guess there was also a nostalgia thing for me in that watching a guy struggle to figure out what he was going to do after university resonated a bit. It was that period where you went from a carefree existence to realizing, "hey, I'm an adult now. What am I going to do with my life?"

I generally like slice of life dramas. They are something that North America just doesn't make so if you want 'em, Japan is the only place you'll get 'em.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
I don't think we're supposed to imagine a Shinako X Rou romantic pairing at the end of this story. She admitted that she didn't take him seriously enough, but that's a far remove from having adult romantic feelings for him. I can more plausibly see Shinako as a spinster, and the butt of "Christmas-cake" jokes among the boys at her school.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
It's true that the Shinako/kid brother relationship status is ambivalent. But somehow I don't think she appeared at his place to tell him what she should have, which is: "I love you like a kid brother, nothing else and it will never be anything else. I know you feel differently about me and I think it's best if we don't see each other until you are older, more mature and can deal with this better."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1