• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't Opening And Ending Themes Subtitled?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Fair, but I still think it sucks that for the ones that don't make it to home release will never get the OP/ED translations.
And tbh I'm surprised Amazon does it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll translates OP/ED lyrics sometimes. Like the first poster mentions Anime Strike translates them. But English subtitles and "karaoke" lyrics are present on disc releases; I think NISA (Justin Sevakis authors discs for them) even puts both subtitled tracks on screen at the same time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember fansubbers trying to make sense of the Hellsing OP lyrics, then the single came out and it was revealed there was no sense. More recently I seem to recall that the Gatchaman Crowds DVDs had a translation note on the OP just to confirm that the subtitler wasn't drunk.

Jex2193 wrote:
Fair, but I still think it sucks that for the ones that don't make it to home release will never get the OP/ED translations.

None of the songs were translated for the Kaze UK release of Penguindrum, including those sung in the show itself. Which is a big problem when one episode was half musical...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Home video comes much later, so by that time the publisher has had time to get all the permission necessary to include song lyrics. It doesn't always happen (often due to someone dropping the ball -- hard to say who)

Guess there was a ball-dropping with the Attack on Titan: Junior High release, which still left specifically the OP song untranslated. It's easy to get that it's a parody of the OP from the original season, but it's hard to appreciate the full joke if I don't know what they're singing about.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think NISA (Justin Sevakis authors discs for them) even puts both subtitled tracks on screen at the same time.

I really, really dislike when releases do this. Having that much text, in two different languages, at the same time is just too much. It's especially bothersome to me when companies only use white for both tracks. Is it really that hard to chose a second color for the English?

I much prefer the "one episode translated, one episode in Japanese" method. It's cleaner and allows me to focus more on the lyrics.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Considering shows often have the lyrics on screen during the OP/ED, it would be easy enough to translate, so official releases being legally obligated not to do so seems more likely than not knowing the lyrics.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I for one I very grateful that songs aren't translated. ESPECIALLY insert songs. It gets in the way of the animation. And don't remind me of that crap fansubs used to do where they'd have one line for the romaji one for the karaoke and one for the English. THREE lines of text obstructing the picture. Hardsubbed, of course. The epitome of stupidity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I remember fansubbers trying to make sense of the Hellsing OP lyrics, then the single came out and it was revealed there was no sense.

How fondly I recall insisting with someone that its final line was "Shooby dooby doo shooby dooby doo durul", in strict opposition to their claim that it was rather "Shooby dooby doo shooby dooby doo do-doo". No matter how trifling the contention, there was always something over which to pontificate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I for one I very grateful that songs aren't translated. ESPECIALLY insert songs. It gets in the way of the animation. And don't remind me of that crap fansubs used to do where they'd have one line for the romaji one for the karaoke and one for the English. THREE lines of text obstructing the picture. Hardsubbed, of course. The epitome of stupidity.

Aw, next you'll say you don't like the text dancing, flashing, spinning around to the music.. Those were always fun to sing along to Laughing
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:

My go-to here is YouTube... Sometimes there's fansubs, sometimes even official subs. Not consistently, but it's always worth checking.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I WANT TO DIVE LOST MIND, I WANT TO DIVE LOST MIND
I WANT FEELING, I WANT FEELING ITSUMO!

I WANT TO DIVE LOST MIND, I WANT TO DIVE LOST MIND
WHY WHY WHY WHY I WANT TO DIVE FEELING OVER. Razz
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Aw, next you'll say you don't like the text dancing, flashing, spinning around to the music.. Those were always fun to sing along to Laughing

FFF's karaoke subs for Maware! Setsugetsukan (Unbreakable Machine-Doll) were pretty awesome, at least Smile
Shuffleblade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I always really loved the karaoke for OP/ED especially. It really created memorable moments, got you hyped for the series and in general added a lot to the experience.

I don't know how many that feel similar to me but in my case adding karaoke will really increase the likelyhood for me to get invested in the series.

I really miss the golden age of karaoke openings, very much.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
So, so many of the old anime DVD releases NEVER had translations of the opening/ending credits songs!

I can't think of a single Pioneer classic DVD release (Moldiver, Phantom Quest Corps, Tenchi Muyo) that translated the theme music. If you wanted to get something in English, you had to listen in English! They never subtitled their songs!

It was likewise the same with the Pioneer/Viz original DVD release of the Ranma 1/2 OVAs and I REMEMBER they DID subtitle those songs on the VHS releases.
On top of that, they CUT the original openings and ending from the last six OVAs and generically reused the opening/ending credits for the original 6-part Ranma 1/2 OVA for ALL the OVAs on that DVD release! They included the openings/ending for all OVAs as a bonus on the second disc of that set but they STILL compounded the issue by NOT (once again) subtitling them at all. That bonus was cut out of the second DVD release of the Ranma 1/2 OVAs.
I'm presuming they're going to subtitle ALL the songs this time on the upcoming Ranma 1/2 OVA set?
It does, unfortunately, look like Viz DIDN'T license the 2008 Ranma OVA so it's still not a complete set! I haven't read any confirmation that they licensed the last OVA that was made to celebrate Takahashi's 30th anniversary in manga as well as the 50th anniversary of the magazine that has traditionally serialized her works first...
IF they had licensed the 2008 OVA, you think they would have publicized that fact.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
With a lot of the shows I have on home release, some episodes have translated subs, and others have the raw lyrics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3