• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Concerning unlicensed anime downloading

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering if downloading unlicensed anime is as illegal as downloading licensed ones? I've been told by many people that downloading unlicensed ones are ok but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Don't listen to what other people say; downloading unlicensed series is equally illegal to downloading licensed series (assuming there's even degrees in legality; I'm not clear on that). The only difference between the two legal-wise is that the chance of getting busted when downloading unlicensed series is practically zero, because there's no licensor over here to catch or sue you. But neither is more "legal" or "illegal" than the other.

Morality is a different issue entirely, and leads to those 15+ quickly locked fansub debate threads that we all love so much...

Last edited by frentymon on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Downloading anime from unauthorized sources (ie fansubbers, DVD Rippers, etc.) is illegal whether the anime is licensed in your region or not.

EDIT: Beaten.

Last edited by Rªdì¢âl_£Ð on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
It's not really a matter of it being "as illegal" there both illegal since you aren't paying for it. Wink

Edit: damn looks like we all jumped on this one. Yeah lets not get into moral issues...anything but that. Very Happy

Last edited by omar235 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Necrontry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
Yes downloading unlicenced anime is illegal. Your still breaking international copyright law. The only difference with "unlicenced" anime you are doing it too the japanese company/distributor and not your local destributor who licenced the anime.

Edit: Beaten as well. Damn my slow typing. 4 people with pretty much the same message.

Last edited by Necrontry on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Necrontry wrote:
Yes downloading unlicenced anime is illegal. Your still breaking international copyright law. The only difference with "unlicenced" anime you are doing it too the japanese company/distributor and not your local destributor who licenced the anime.

thanks that's all I wanted to know.
Miho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
I think downloading licensed anime is far worse than downloading unlincensed anime, IMO, but it is still illegal both ways, since no money makes its way to the creators.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
For further insight, please consult this thread or use the Search feature to find one of the many dozen other threads that cover this subject.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1