• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Woes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well, this is a sign of the times. Shonen Jump gave 4 chapters (as opposed to the usual 2 or 3) of Naruto this month, and they announced that they'd give 5 for next issue.

Great. Why not just mail me a Naruto manga volume instead?!

I know that Shonen Jump isn't some quaint little magazine with a small group of anime-loving transtlators--it's a big, bad corporation based on making money. And, knowing that Naruto is selling (and, apparently, all of the coverage given in the magazine as it is isn't enough), they will put more in to boost sales. But isn't this overkill?! I mean, come on--that's more than 3 times as many chapters as they give to any other series in the magazine!

Personally, I'm irked by this. Naruto's fun and all, but I didn't subscribe to Naruto Insider Monthly--I subscribed to Shonen Jump Magazine. I'd like to, you know, read the other manga that they have out. And, seeing as all of the Borders stores are too far from home, I kinda depend on Shonen Jump a lot for my manga...

...Am I the only one like this?
kolibri

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
They are getting ready for that big push to get all pre-time jump Naruto out before the end of the year like we discussed over here. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm sure most readers are for it... Naruto is their biggest seller after all.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
So they ARE going to accelerate the serialization. Even though you didn't intend to, thanks for the heads up, Levitz9. I've been wondering how they were going to accelarate the release of the Chapters in the magazine.

As for your actual question, I don't really mind all that much. I'm not a "Narutard," but I like Naruto enough to not mind this accelerated release. Though I am a little peeved that they've cut back on releasing more chapters of some of their other titles, especially Yu-Gi-Oh!: Millenium World. It could've been finished this year! Did releasing Yu-Gi-Oh! GX really warrant a slow-down for MW?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just because I'm somewhat of a layout artist myself, but I thought it would be obvious that they wouldn't "overkill" any series just for money.

What I'm disappointed about is that Naruto's manga volume release schedule fit my budget (and laziness) perfectly. And now they are releasing three volumes each month! I will be in college by then... Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I personally do not have a issue with Shounen Jump putting in more chapters of Naruto manga into the magazine. Since,Naruto is one of Shounen Jump most popular titles. I do not see most people taking issue with them putting more Naruto chapters into the magazine. Keep in mind its not like they are going to completely stop putting other Shounen Jump titles into the magazine. So,I think you are spliting hairs here for no reason. And like others have said in this thread. Its seems like they are shoveling out the last of the pre-jump manga of Naruto
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Shonen Jump monthly? If so, then why is this a big deal? Naruto is weekly in Japan so you're basically getting the same number of chapters each month. Naruto is really popular and this is a way people who can't afford the graphic novels can read Naruto at a faster pace. I doubt it will go at this pace forever so don't get so worked up over it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Isn't Shonen Jump monthly? If so, then why is this a big deal? Naruto is weekly in Japan so you're basically getting the same number of chapters each month. Naruto is really popular and this is a way people who can't afford the graphic novels can read Naruto at a faster pace. I doubt it will go at this pace forever so don't get so worked up over it.

There's Weekly Shonen Jump and then there's Monthly Shonen Jump (now defunct)
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

There's Weekly Shonen Jump and then there's Monthly Shonen Jump (now defunct)

I know... I was talking about the US version of Shonen Jump being monthly. I don't read it and wasn't sure of its release schedule. But I looked and it seems the US Shonen Jump is monthly.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:

And being a guy who reads Naruto in the jump for pretty much those same reasons, that's why I'm cool with it. It's faster, and it's also cheeper. Besides, as has already been said, it's not like they're taking out any of the other series being serialized in there.

I mean, yeah, their paying attention to Naruto the most! It's their most popular series! Rolling Eyes But from what I can tell, SJ doesn't seem to have a problem promoting their other titles as well, so quite frankly, I don't see the problem here.
Trytan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, like someone said earlier (didn't check the name and don't really wanna now that i'm typing), In Japan, Naruto is released a chapter a week. So SJ's basically just gonna run at the same rate as Japan. If it starts getting to filled up, they can always just crack a series off the list: Yugioh GX. Oh...my...gosh. That manga sucks as bad as the english translated anime. And thats saying something big.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1