• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: SoftBank Has Its Own Humanoid Robot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Sheldon Cooper was right! When the machines rise up, IT WILL BE ATM'S LEADING THE CHARGE! God help us all.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Practically, that is very cool. I like the way the eyes make it look child-like. And by this point, we've all had Asimov pounded into us from a variety of communicable sources. It will be alright. Probably.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
lol babysitter Anime hyper
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Practically, that is very cool. I like the way the eyes make it look child-like. And by this point, we've all had Asimov pounded into us from a variety of communicable sources. It will be alright. Probably.
Yeah, given the record of things introduced in sci-fi that have become horribly real (read "The World Set Free" sometime) somehow I have my doubts on keeping intelligent machines under control. Remember how well the "Three Laws of Robotics" put forth in one of Asimov's books worked out in "I, Robot"? Even Steven Hawking thinks this is a bad idea. I'm almost tempted to head out to some remote location and wait for Skynet to initiate Judgment Day.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Whether I think of SoftBank, I think the 1st thing that might come to mind beyond Taigā Ando Bani is Otosan, the white Hokkaido Inu who plays that has appeared in their commercials.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
The articulation certainly is impressive, but the technology is a long way away from the visual and tactile input being sensitive enough to interact even minimally with humans. Either way, it's cool to see something that really sparks the imagination of the technology's potential. Maybe it can be taught to ask "Are you enjoying the time of eve?"

Go Hawks!
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
MC Chris could totally fry it's circuits in a free-style rap battle.
Seiru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
Huh I was going to make some jokes about this but to be honest this is pretty amazing.The way it moved as if it was real and how they say that it will be able to communicate just,wow.To be honest I think "Pepper" will be all over Japan around 5 years from now since big stores will want it to attract customers.Getting a bit far of myself but still it's pretty cool to see.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is amazing and scary at the same time. What is our potential, will we create something that will eventually become Data? Or is there something waiting that we may create in the future that will bring about the Judgment Day we saw in T2? Regardless, this is the future. However it is what path we take that will shape humanity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1