• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:28 am Reply with quote
Anyone had this experience? Great anime, you love all 12 or 25 episodes, and then the ending just leaves you flat?

Take Hellsing. That wasn't as much an ending as a 13th episode. Okay, a major bad guy was defeated, but so much was left up in the air that if there isn't a "Hellsing 2", I'm going to feel majorly ripped off.

Or Trigun, which ends with a major fight which doesn't really resolve anything, unless you believe you-know-who will be a good boy once he wakes up.

Anime has been known for "un-endings" for a long time. Back in 1990, I remember being confused by the "ending" of Megazone 23. ("Good guy gets the crap beaten out of him. The End.") And there are times when such endings work. But when a plot builds for an entire series, I hate to see it fizzle.

------RM

[Spoiler tags added to all the really old posts from 2003 before spoiler tags existed ~Zalis]
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
Kare Kano is the first one that comes to mind, but I think that series started a decline in the second half...the ending just punctuated it with a loud *thump.*
KiMasterMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:08 am Reply with quote
I can't really think of too many with an actual ending. I mean yes, it ends, but there is no resolution to the story, or what they give you makes you just ask more questions. Although I haven't seen every anime out there to say I'm an expert, but from what I have seen...there aren't too many real endings out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:03 am Reply with quote
Irresponsible Captain Tylor. The last few episodes were so boring it was sad. Series was great up to that point, though.
Magister_L

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:58 pm Reply with quote
i thought Gasaraki had a horrible ending and i'm not sure if anyone had heard of this anime but Tokyo Underground had such a PATHETIC ending. The beginning and mid of TU was ok but then the ending was rushed and a cliffhanger.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:04 pm Reply with quote
nagash wrote:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor. The last few episodes were so boring it was sad. Series was great up to that point, though.

Surely you blaspheme! Captain Tylor's ending was one of the few anime endings that was everything I wanted it to be! (Unless you're talking about the OVA series...that kinda sucked)
React

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
i kinda agree with you on hellsing, but what else could you have expected, there are many other good animes that have good endings, like cowboy bebop and Akira. however, i've heard rumors that more hellsings are in production. Razz
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:50 pm Reply with quote
the ending to Noir. it just felt empty
ookaminodensetsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:32 pm Reply with quote
well the ending in Chobits is depressing...i cant tell what happens with out spoiling the entire series. Smile
RoyalGalaxia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:40 pm Reply with quote
*Warning spoilers* spoiler[

I thought Escaflowne's ending was a little disheartening, I can't believe they just left it as they parted ways.

I mean come on in Fushigi Yuugi Tamahome was able to come to Miaka's world, why couldn't Van go to Hitomi's? Or better yet, let Hitomi stay in Van's world?]

That would have been a fun ending, but noooooooo...... they just ended it...... it kind of makes me wonder if the whole series was just a waste of time to watch when it doesn't end the way you would like it to.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
Recently, I watched the ending to G-Gundam again. [spoiler] Talk about a stupid, anticlimactic battle! Tell Rain you love her and that was it? I had higher hopes for this series the way they dragged it on. It was great up until that wussy climax with the ridiculous dance before they do the Erupting Burning Fingers with the King of Hearts emblem coming to life and crushing the Dark Gundam.[spoiler] It was like something out of Sailor Moon, not that Sailor Moon sucks, but this was just so lame for a giant robot story.

And again, yeah, I was disappointed with Hellsing's ending. Nothing resolved, yadda yadda yadda... I hope they follow it up like they're doing for The Big O and the last (hopefully) of the Tenchi OVAs.

I also feel unresolved with the ending for 3 x 3 Eyes. spoiler[ Does the Sanjiyan finally come back with the original Pai and Yakumo is finally reuinited? What happened to Ling-Ling and most of the other characters from the first set of OVAs? Did they all die or something? I thought they were helping Yakumo.] I hope someday this is also concluded someway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:45 am Reply with quote
[quote=
And again, yeah, I was disappointed with Hellsing's ending. Nothing resolved, yadda yadda yadda... I hope they follow it up like they're doing for The Big O and the last (hopefully) of the Tenchi OVAs.[/quote]

i heard there's gonna be another season of Hellsing
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:20 am Reply with quote
Ferquin wrote:
I also feel unresolved with the ending for 3 x 3 Eyes. Does the Sanjiyan finally come back with the original Pai and Yakumo is finally reuinited? What happened to Ling-Ling and most of the other characters from the first set of OVAs? Did they all die or something? I thought they were helping Yakumo. I hope someday this is also concluded someway.

In fairness to 3X3 Eyes, the two OAV series followed the first two arcs of the manga fairly faithfully. Nothing is resolved, because nothing in the manga is resolved at that point. Nevertheless, if you haven't read the manga, you're likely to be disappointed by the OAV ending.

(Hmm, another topic? "Anime that expects you to have read the manga"? Very Happy )

------RM
Ferquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... where can I get said manga? Is it available stateside?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hellsing definitly had a lousy ending, and from the start of the season I though the stories were going to focus on the girl more in stead of Alucard, but oh well.
Also, episodes 25 and 26 of Neon Genesis were so bad that they had to remake then - need I say any more.

Of topic - with all this talk of the Chobits ending being depressing I hope it is a semihappy ending. I've kinda grown to like Chi. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9