• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion 2.22 packaging.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I just got my Eva 2.22 BD from Amazon. Is this it? A standard BD case with a shitty slip case? Is this all we're getting? What the hell happened to the nice packaging like 1.11 had? This is just awful. It's a rounded BD case too so naturally the slipcover doesn't really sit squarely. They haven't bothered to even make it the same height as the 1.11 BD either so it looks noticeably different on a shelf. Plus they've stuck a big sticker across the front. What a massive letdown. I loved how 1.11 looked and was really looking forward to having both matching BDs on my shelf.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I just got my Eva 2.22 BD from Amazon. Is this it? A standard BD case with a shitty slip case? Is this all we're getting? What the hell happened to the nice packaging like 1.11 had? This is just awful. It's a rounded BD case too so naturally the slipcover doesn't really sit squarely. They haven't bothered to even make it the same height as the 1.11 BD either so it looks noticeably different on a shelf. Plus they've stuck a big sticker across the front. What a massive letdown. I loved how 1.11 looked and was really looking forward to having both matching BDs on my shelf.
Did you also order 1.11 from Amazon as well? If so, that is kinda crappy.
shadow13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

yep that's it. I got the DVD and it's the same deal, except it's the same size of my 1.11 case. And for anyone curious about exactly what you get in the package, Funimation has this video on their youtube page showing the package and it's contents
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Funny, my 1.11 copy just came in the mail today, and it's beautiful. Seeing videos and reading comments pertaining to 2.22's packaging, a lot of people are disappointed with it. It does look considerably less awesome. Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people whined about how they didn't use the packaging from the JP release for 1.11, so they decided to use the JP style for 2.22. Of course, people are still upset, but Funimation is in a lose-lose situation here. They don't use the JP style, people complain. They do use the JP style, people still complain and request that they send them new slipcovers for their 1.11 for consistency (not making that up).

I agree with you, I'd like consistency, but I'm not that vocal and it seems complainers are and sent lots and lots of emails.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I love the orange, and if you don't then you can always throw the orange away and just use the Mari cover.

EDIT: Doh, didn't realize this is BD specific, as my comments are toward the DVD I purchased.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Score one for the DVD team then. Nothing wrong with my copy of that. Anime catgrin
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I agree with you, I'd like consistency, but I'm not that vocal and it seems complainers are and sent lots and lots of emails.

What are you talking about? What you're saying here makes zero sense.

"so they decided to use the JP style for 2.22."

No...they didn't. This is a standard BD case with a thin cardboard slipcover that's open on both ends. this is the Japanese BD.

"They do use the JP style, people still complain and request that they send them new slipcovers for their 1.11 for consistency (not making that up)."

Unless you're using slipcover to mean something different, then once again, no. the 1.11 BD didn't have a slipcover. It came in a nice slide out box much like the JP 2.22 release. Here is what it looks like.

I do believe it was of a slightly lighter construction and had different artwork though than the JP 1.11 BD so I can see where people would have complained. Still, I see no reason they couldn't have addressed both issues though by putting out a version just like the JP 2.22 BD which would also be at least reasonably consistent with the R1 1.11 BD.

What makes no sense, however, is what they've done. Instead, they've satisfied neither group by going with something completely different and thus, neither the same as the JP BD, nor consistent with the previous R1 BD.

(Not to mention that putting aside all issues of consistency with the R1 and similarity to the JP, it's just not very nice. It's pretty hard to stomach both of those issues when the think also just doesn't look as good).

Kruszer wrote:
Score one for the DVD team then. Nothing wrong with my copy of that. Anime catgrin

Except that it contains a DVD. Wink
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Right on. Cool

But once I get get a BD player, I'll be double-dipping for the blu-rays, so I guess I reign supreme over all of you. Laughing
B.K.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The worst thing about 2.22's Blu-Ray packaging is that it has one of those cheap, 'eco friendly' cases with the huge holes in it. I hate those things.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
If the slipcase doesn't fit the blu-ray box properly, that would feel pretty lame.
But as a buyer of the DVDs, I can't say the inconsistency between the 1.11 and the 2.22 packaging itself bothers me. I wouldn't like it if the last three movies are all somehow uniform, and just 1.11 out on its own --- that would be very unsatisfying on the shelf.
But if they managed to make each one of the four movie boxes completely unpredictable and different to look at and hold, I could be very into that.
Matriel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'll just be blunt and say I'm Ecstatic that the US domestic case follows the design of the Japanese version(2.22) and does Not have what looks like an Eva unit whacking it (1.11).

ie:

Uber-Manly Phallic Eva

Japanese Design

Because the packaging on Eva 2.22 is textured, the sticker will most likely come off very easily as long as you don't rip it off like you're trying to tear up paper. For me 2.22 wins hands down, THANK YOU Funi for listening to your customers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1