• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and the like.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ok I've seen several badly formed attempts at discussing the pro's and cons of these two anime. Usually they run along the lines of

'Pokemon should die'.

which is hardly a discussion worthy start.

wells lets rectify this. I, living in thr UK, have a very limited availability of anime and as such I am watching whatever anime I can find and Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are some of the most popular and easily found.

after watching several episodes of pokemon from a scattering of all the series(things are very disjointed...whoever does the scheduling should be shot) I've noticed it follows essentially the same formula for every episode, a new pokemon appears, it does something special, Team Rocket lose again and everyone ends up happy.

Now I can see the reason behind this, everyone is special in some way and dont let others take that from you is a good message to give to kids(and people of all ages actually) but I found it very dull and repetitive, which I expected, it is a show designed for children not 28 year old widowers, but I wonder can the children really watch this for so long? At what point do the children finally tire of this and what can be done then?

Yu-Gi-Oh...I'm sorry but the UK version at least seems like a 25 minute advert, I can see no appeal to it except to those who already collect the card game that goes with it. I cant even see a real message behind it either, I first thought it was a whole 'believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything' drive but it doesn't even seem to do that, it puts all faith in the ability to draw a specific card which feels far more like a 'random events dictate life' ideal...hardly one that encourages good traits.

(also how many cards do they have in their decks? its got to be way more than 52...)
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
ok I've seen several badly formed attempts at discussing the pro's and cons of these two anime. Usually they run along the lines of

'Pokemon should die'.

which is hardly a discussion worthy start.

wells lets rectify this. I, living in thr UK, have a very limited availability of anime and as such I am watching whatever anime I can find and Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are some of the most popular and easily found.

after watching several episodes of pokemon from a scattering of all the series(things are very disjointed...whoever does the scheduling should be shot) I've noticed it follows essentially the same formula for every episode, a new pokemon appears, it does something special, Team Rocket lose again and everyone ends up happy.

Now I can see the reason behind this, everyone is special in some way and don't let others take that from you is a good message to give to kids(and people of all ages actually) but I found it very dull and repetitive, which I expected, it is a show designed for children not 28 year old widowers, but I wonder can the children really watch this for so long? At what point do the children finally tire of this and what can be done then?

Yu-Gi-Oh...I'm sorry but the UK version at least seems like a 25 minute advert, I can see no appeal to it except to those who already collect the card game that goes with it. I can't even see a real message behind it either, I first thought it was a whole 'believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything' drive but it doesn't even seem to do that, it puts all faith in the ability to draw a specific card which feels far more like a 'random events dictate life' ideal...hardly one that encourages good traits.

(also how many cards do they have in their decks? its got to be way more than 52...)

You should just post it here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18862
Other then making a whole new thread which is annoying to me because I don't want to go back in forth on a topic relatively the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh...I'm sorry but the UK version at least seems like a 25 minute advert, I can see no appeal to it except to those who already collect the card game that goes with it. I can't even see a real message behind it either, I first thought it was a whole 'believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything' drive but it doesn't even seem to do that, it puts all faith in the ability to draw a specific card which feels far more like a 'random events dictate life' ideal...hardly one that encourages good traits.

I thought yu-gi-oh has a good plot (read the manga) it's just the (assuming its the same) american dub version's script was dumbed down by 4kids. The lines were turned cheesy and the plot seemed to be rewritten... like good lines were turned into cliched "I'm going to save the world" "evil never wins" "friends are the most important thing in the world!" (well many there that..)

the plot in the original series was more "I want to find my name because i lost my memory and wouldn't you want to know who you are?" and changed it to "Let's save the world together in friendship!".

yugioh was at first based on games on general, but since the card game aspect was so popular they created the TCGs.

And because yugioh is popular it's got a LOT of fillers too.. but i think the memory/ancient egyptian arc (at least in the manga) had a good plot.

For example:
In the first episode (U.S.)yugi says that kaiba lost because he didn't believe in his cards
in the japanese version yugi says that he will crush the evil within his using his millenium puzzle

not the best example, but ti's still pretty different

I got it from this site that has a lot of japanese version and english version comparisons (with pictures too!) http://www.yu-jyo.net/index.php
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind people saying they don't like series because they do suck, i just believe that yugioh in a sense was just unlucky in the way it was changed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1