• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CLAMP's X.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw the X movie on SyFy the other day and I am intrigued. It's only the third CLAMP show I've seen so far and it already looks as though I may just become a fan of their work.

The movie could be a little hard to follow in spots and I was wondering: How does it compare to the TV series? Or the manga, for that matter?

Also, I did some research into a potential purchase of the series but what the heck version do I want?

There's the original 8 disk release, a remix release in 5 volumes, and Funi's most recent re-release.

Given my druthers I'd probably prefer the originals from Geneon, (I do prefer the extras, when I can get them) but with those I can get part 1 with the first 4 disks and a box that looks like it will hold 8, and part 2 with the last 4 disks and a box that also looks like it will hold 8. Or I can get vol 1 with a series box and a book. WTFO?

Or would one of the other versions be a better choice? I'm confused.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
[...]

Or would one of the other versions be a better choice? I'm confused.

Having never seen the series myself, I can only recommend using a service such as Netflix or Blockbuster (online -- not bricks & mortar) to check out the offerings. (Although, come to think of it, they might not HAVE all of the versions. Hmm, I'm going to have to do some research on exactly who has what for rental.....)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend the 5-disc "Remix" release by Geneon. It should have the best video and sound quality, compared to the 8-disc original singles and the Funimation re-release (which is likely compressed to 4 discs). The Remix collected version has a pretty nice book-like case, too.

The movie is a really rushed and compressed version of some of the manga. Movie viewers are pretty much expected to know the manga, but the TV series is more coherent as a standalone work. The TV series takes things a little slower, and lets you get to know the characters before some of them meet terrible fates. As opposed to the movie's "Hey, here's this character! Whoops, they're dead!" approach.

I haven't read the manga, but due to its eternal hiatus, X TV is about the best way to get a complete story from the X universe.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I haven't read the manga, but due to its eternal hiatus, X TV is about the best way to get a complete story from the X universe.

The manga is excellent. I personally feel CLAMPS art works better as manga than animation (although I seem to be one of the few who like their character designs on Code Geass.) However, like Zalis said, the anime series is probaly the closest we'll get to an ending.
chefneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd recommend the 5-disc "Remix" release by Geneon. It should have the best video and sound quality, compared to the 8-disc original singles and the Funimation re-release (which is likely compressed to 4 discs). The Remix collected version has a pretty nice book-like case, too.

The movie is a really rushed and compressed version of some of the manga. Movie viewers are pretty much expected to know the manga, but the TV series is more coherent as a standalone work. The TV series takes things a little slower, and lets you get to know the characters before some of them meet terrible fates. As opposed to the movie's "Hey, here's this character! Whoops, they're dead!" approach.

It appears as though they all meet terrible fates. I hate that! But the show was fascinating to watch, which will probably promote it to my "To Buy" list.

Good info to know about the remix set. I presume the video and sound quality are the only significant differences between the two versions? They are both about the same cost at TRSI and I think the Funimation version would be an option of last resort.

shamisen the great wrote:
The manga is excellent. I personally feel CLAMPS art works better as manga than animation (although I seem to be one of the few who like their character designs on Code Geass.) However, like Zalis said, the anime series is probaly the closest we'll get to an ending.

I've heard others say that CLAMP's art works better as manga than animation. I haven't picked any of their manga up yet, though Clover and Chobits are on my list. The art is always what I look at first.

I didn't realize that the manga is incomplete, was it a case of the publisher dropping it or did CLAMP not finish it? I've heard that there are a couple of series that they did that with.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I didn't realize that the manga is incomplete, was it a case of the publisher dropping it or did CLAMP not finish it? I've heard that there are a couple of series that they did that with.

Without going into story spoiler detail, CLAMP planned for the story to take a very dramatic turn. The magazine publisher didn't want to publish such a story turn believing that it may be too upsetting for the readers at that point in time because it coincidentally mirrored a recent real-life event. The publisher requested that CLAMP change their story plans. CLAMP refused and stopped working on the series.

A second CLAMP manga, Legal Drug, was caught up in this disagreement because it was also being published by the same magazine publisher. When CLAMP stopped X, Legal Drug came to an abrupt end as well.
chefneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
Bummer. It can suck when life gets in the way. Since volume 18 was released in Japan in 2002 I presume that too many years have passed and there is little likelihood of them revisiting the series to complete it.

It might still be worth picking up, though. I'll have to think about that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie was awful, however, the TV series was very good. I'd also recommend giving that a shot.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Bummer. It can suck when life gets in the way. Since volume 18 was released in Japan in 2002 I presume that too many years have passed and there is little likelihood of them revisiting the series to complete it.

It might still be worth picking up, though. I'll have to think about that.

CLAMP has stated they plan to finish it eventually. It's possible they might pick it up again when they finish Tsubasa and XXXholic, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote

CLAMP has stated they plan to finish it eventually. It's possible they might pick it up again when they finish Tsubasa and XXXholic, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You mean xxxHOLiC and Kobato? Tsubasa has actually been done for quite a while! Just about done releasing in english too! Kobato has basically replaced it (since it went on hiatus for a short period) and then coming up soon is their Mangettes: Gate 7, which no one knows anything about.

I too, hope they finish X (so they can re-release it in an UNflipped format for once!), Legal Drug, and CLOVER... one day...

Oh, and I thought Kobato had a good ending, for another one of their series that got finished before the manga Smile Can't wait for a localization!
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on it, but I own the remix dvds and I have to say the show is quite good it spends the 1st half developing all the characters and eventually leads to a satisfying conclusion. On a side note, if you are interested in getting the dvds I'm actually in the process of trying to sell off my copy so let me know if you're interested
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

You mean xxxHOLiC and Kobato? Tsubasa has actually been done for quite a while! Just about done releasing in english too! Kobato has basically replaced it (since it went on hiatus for a short period) and then coming up soon is their Mangettes: Gate 7, which no one knows anything about.

Sorry. I didn't realize Tsubasa had ended and forgot about Kobato. Never heard of Gate 7. Since being burned by X's lack of an ending, I have not wanted to start any CLAMP series still in progress.
Sort of off-topic, how was Tsubasa? If it has ended I might check it out, but it seems like reviews have been mixed.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote

Sort of off-topic, how was Tsubasa? If it has ended I might check it out, but it seems like reviews have been mixed.

That’s because at the beginning it’s slow, very little happens. In the middle, Tokyo arc, Infinity arc and Celes arc, it’s very good, a lot happens, there are plot twists and revelations that keep you interested in the story. After that TRC somehow lose it, the new plot twists are overused and not exciting anymore, some revelations are very weird, confusing, uninteresting. It doesn’t help that the main characters, Sakura and Syaoran, are flat in comparison with their predecessors from CCS. To cap it all, they are Mary Sueish, stagnant and boring. Kuragane and Fay are the only interesting, developing and dynamic characters, they are the sole reason I have read this manga. Unfortunately, at the end TRC focuses on Sakura and Syaorana and Kuragane and Fay become furniture, they are there, but they are of very little importance. Some things remain unsolved, for example: there is an alternative version of Kamui, Subaru and Seishirou. Why do Kamui and Subaru run away from Seishirou? It’s not explained. Nothing about them is explained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1