• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saiunkoku Monogatari season 2 and Kyo Kara Maoh! season 3.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sora N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else want these two to get licensed? I have been waiting for the 3rd season of Kyo Kara Maoh! to be licensed by Funi for awhile now; since they rescued season 1 & 2 from Geneon. I would really like to be able to finish seeing this series and I have part 1 & 2 of Saiunkoku Monogatari’s first season (I still need to get part 3 soon.)
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I would do unholy--no, unforgivable!--things to see Kyo Kara Maoh season 3 licensed in R1. The first two seasons are simply amazing. However, I wasn't aware that that FUNi rescued season 1 and 2? I really don't see the first two seasons having sold enough to warrant Funi taking a chance on the third.

So FUNi? What kind of unholy and unforgivable things can I do to get you to license it??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sora N

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
However, I wasn't aware that that FUNi rescued season 1 and 2?

Well all of my originals single DVD’s say Geneon…however the last 4 (?) (I can’t remember what the last volume Geneon released) was distributed by Funi and now Funi has released boxsets for season 1 and 2. Same goes for Saiunkoku Monogatari season 1.

Here is the information on the boxsets.

release#14008

release#14251

release#14893

Here is the information about Funi will be distributing certain titles from Geneon back in 08.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-03/funimation-agrees-to-distribute-select-geneon-titles
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Like you, Sora, I'm short volume three of Saiunkoku because I'm waiting to see if the stupid pricing policies required of Funi by Geneon will continue. (The complete boxset now sells for about $10 more than the 1/3 season sets.) I hope the 1/3 season sets end up in RightStuf's bargain bin at some point.

I don't imagine we'll see season two, though. I don't think Saiunkoku was an especially successful title here. It came out well after the run in Japan and never seemed to get much traction in R1. Also, to be honest, I didn't find the second season nearly as entertaining as the first. I still list S1 among my all time favorite series; S2 not so much.

Looking at the list of S2 prices at cdjapan.co.jp, Geneon is not going to be in any hurry to open up the possibility for reverse importation. A box set of episodes 25-39 of S2 costs over $300 in Japan! No Dolby 5.1 either.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
ya id love to see the 2nd season of Saiunkoku to be licensed. but seeing that not alot of people are anticipated on this series that would be impossible. cant blame funimation on it since business is business. if they cant make any profit on it then theres no need for it to be continued just like what they did what they did on Big Windup! series.
Sora N

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I completely understand that it’s all based on business …however on the customers side of things…customers tend to lose faith in companies when they leave series unfinished…and I have incomplete series from both VIZ and Geneon/Funi. Now whenever I buy anime series I wait until the entire series has been fully-released and I never pre-order anything anymore because you never know if that series is really going to be finished now.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yep true. Same thing i felt while i got left hanging on Zero no Tsukaima & Shakugan no Shana. they are both good series but i dont know why FUNi or other distributors license it yet. not just by me but for its numerous fans too
Sora N

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
North American bookseller Simon & Schuster has listed that VIZ is going to be releasing The Story of Saiunkoku in November of this year... although the listing does not specify if it’s the manga or the light novel (I am personally hoping it's the manga...) so, maybe some anime company will get season 2 if this sells well.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sora N wrote:
North American bookseller Simon & Schuster has listed that VIZ is going to be releasing The Story of Saiunkoku in November of this year... although the listing does not specify if it’s the manga or the light novel (I am personally hoping it's the manga...) so, maybe some anime company will get season 2 if this sells well.

Who cares?! Because no matter which one it is, I'll certainly buy it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1