• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tears to Tiara blu-ray boxset with dub - an upscale?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Was Tears to Tiara produced in HD, or will the Blu-Ray be an upscale? And also is there an easy way to find out if a show was produced in HD so I can figure out which Blu-Rays I can ignore because there just upscales? Thanks in advance for any help.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, it had a BluRay release in Japan.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well that makes me feel a little bit better about it, though I guess that could have been an upscale too >.<; I am a little worried because while the show doesn't look to have a super low budget it doesn't look like the type of show a studio might spring for HD on either...

On a related note is Japan having to wade through the upscale Blu-ray prints too, or is that tabu there?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, it had a BluRay release in Japan.
So did shows like Stellvia and Haibane Renmei, and those were definitely SD digital master upscales.

And theoretically, BD upscales aren't inherently bad -- it all depends on the filtering and video processing they go through during the mastering process. At the very least, upscaled BD has less compression (fewer artifacts) than DVD, and the possibility of lossless audio. And studio upscales may look better than the upscaling done by people's DVD/BD players. I say this all theoretically because I don't watch high-def/Blu-Ray material if I can avoid it. But that's what I've read in other places.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis116 True, there not always horrible, sometimes they do look better then up scaling it yourself even if you have good equipment, its just the extra cost for the Sentia Blu-Rays.

Its $67 for the Blu-Ray on Rightstuf and $52 for the DVDs. I really don't care how good the up scaling is its not worth $15.

Its also one of their first blu-rays which doesn't give me much faith....but if its real HD though then I kind of feel like I have to dish out for it lol
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
I suggest you ask Hissatsu01 since he's the local blu-ray guru. I'm sure he'll have detailed answer for you.

As for your concern about price, why not use DVD Pacific since the BD is only $50. I shop there regularly and I've had no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
I don't know how accurate this info is but the AoD blu-ray forum has a list of US blu-ray releases and they list Tears to Tiara as being native HD and not an upscale.

I should be finding out about Sentai's blu-ray quality soon as I just got the email that TRSI is sending me my Ghost Hound blu-ray set (also listed as native HD).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
Did I hear something? As mentioned, it's not an upscale. At least there's no reason it should be. But... 26 episodes on 2 discs. I consider this to be pushing thing a bit far, and quality may suffer as a result. Additionally, Sentai/S23/whatever has been using VC-1 to encode to encode their blu-rays; it's not as efficient a codec as H.264, and it's mostly been abandoned at this point. I have no idea why they're using it.

That said, no one's seen it yet or posted screenshots. It could be fine, and should definitely be better than DVD. But I would be wary of pre-ordering it and would wait for reviews/screenshots.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Sentai/S23/whatever has been using VC-1

WHAT O.o; that's disheartening and weird, but if its native HD then I guess I will get the Blu-ray most likely, but wont be pre-ordering it...... Thanks everyone!
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why there's any issue with using VC-1; it's a perfectly acceptable high definition codec and almost 30% of all Blu-Rays use it. Both Warner and Universal use VC-1 for the majority of their releases (so far in 2010 Warner has had three AVC coded Blu-Ray releases and 56 VC-1 coded Blu-Ray releases, while Universal has had 17 AVC and 23 VC-1 releases). VC-1 is far from an unsupported format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1