• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The future of Naruto in the U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freezespell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I asked this question in another thread but since it was pretty much largely ignored, I guess I'll ask it here. I wonder what they're going to call Naruto Shippuden when or if it has a U.S. broadcast? According to "trusty" Wikipedia, the name of the series is translated literally to Naruto Hurricane Chronicles, but if I were one of the higher-ups at Viz, I would go with a loose translation and call it The Chronicles of Naruto Uzumaki because personally, it would be a real boneheaded move to leave the title untranslated for the U.S. audience since the Naruto franchise is such a mainstream hit over here and that the average Naruto viewer would have a very hard time spelling or even trying to say Shippuden without giggling, but that's just me playing front office micromanager.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Since Viz has already made their "Naruto Shippuden" logos for Naruto.com I'm guessing they won't deviate much from that. Besides, kids seem to love Japanese gibberish words, they don't seem to be having any trouble with Bakugan, let alone the myriad of Japanese technique names still left in the English edit of Naruto.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
What remains to be seen though is whether or not Shippuden will ever be aired on CN.
azndragon4k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
it would be dumb if they dont finish airing it becuz its like their best show prob next to like ben 10
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
azndragon4k wrote:
it would be dumb if they don't finish airing it becuz its like their best show prob next to like ben 10

I really rather doubt that. Naruto is popular sure. If we're talking about all of CN though, I don't think it's quite that high. Does anyone happen to know the actual ratings data and where Naruto stacks up?
lt_blanco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
freezespell wrote:
I wonder what they're going to call Naruto Shippuden when or if it has a U.S. broadcast? According to "trusty" Wikipedia, the name of the series is translated literally to Naruto Hurricane Chronicles, but if I were one of the higher-ups at Viz, I would go with a loose translation and call it The Chronicles of Naruto Uzumaki
its going to still be naruto shippuden because they have not changed the name for any thing else. ex the newest set of cards has shippuden in it the posters for ultimate ninja 4 say shippuden an viz wab page apperantly showes banners for shippuden

azndragon4k wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the actual ratings data and where Naruto stacks up?

i think it was #1 in its first month but i think its droped in the last couple of years
freezespell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
lt_blanco wrote:
freezespell wrote:
I wonder what they're going to call Naruto Shippuden when or if it has a U.S. broadcast? According to "trusty" Wikipedia, the name of the series is translated literally to Naruto Hurricane Chronicles, but if I were one of the higher-ups at Viz, I would go with a loose translation and call it The Chronicles of Naruto Uzumaki
its going to still be naruto shippuden because they have not changed the name for any thing else. ex the newest set of cards has shippuden in it the posters for ultimate ninja 4 say shippuden an viz wab page apperantly showes banners for shippuden

That move really makes no sense at all. I wonder why Viz decided to leave the Japanese title untranslated for U.S. distribution? Like I said before, doing that is just a boneheaded move unless it's either some kind of effort to try to expand the Naruto fanbase, like it isn't big enough already, or going for a different audience altogether. But I guess if Viz did decide to translate the title, I'm sure there would be several Naruto purists, a.k.a. "Narutards" bitching and moaning about why they didn't just leave the title alone and just call it Naruto Shippuden over here.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how you can come to the conclusion that an untranslated title would be intended to either bring in new viewers or change the target fanbase. It's nothing more than a sign of respect for the series, just like how the Naruto broadcast first earned light edits, then earned airing the original openings, and then earned opening subtitles, now it's earned an untranslated title. I can think of two reasons why this wont effect kids: 1) Many just aren't going to care what it translates into , it's just going to look and sound cool to them because it's Japanese, and 2) the ones that do care are probably going to be smart enough to look it up (and likely already did a long time ago just like the rest of us).

Honestly I don't see where this is such a big deal. Really, it's no different than names like Rurouni Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho, the already mentioned Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh, and any other anime that's been shown on Cartoon Network with funny sounding Japanese names that thus far haven't confused kids or adults alike.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
I imagine it's popularity dimmed during the filler duldrums, but if they agressively "relaunched" the series ala Ben 10 Alien Force, I'm sure it'd be back on top in no time. Of course, they'd really prefer that their own self-produced shows get all the glory.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Naruto is really mainstream. Atleast in Canada it seems niche.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Well, it's constantly making the New York Times bestseller lists.....
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Well, it's constantly making the New York Times bestseller lists.....

In what company? Been a while since I checked, but bestseller lists tend to be mostly whatever gets hyped most...
S.Canton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Naruto is still pretty niche, even to some degree within the "anime community"; I have a few friends who have never heard of it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
One, Naruto is no were near being "niche". It's a big seller (at least in the U.S.). Two, I see no reason for Viz to change the name of Naruto Shippuden it anything ells. It would seem point less. The fan base for Naruto isn't really going to care. As long as there's Naruto and the other characters then I'm sure the same amount of people will watch it. Unless they're driven away by the filler arc.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
As a viewer I prefer sub over dub, but as a consumer I get annoyed at distributors failing to translate anime titles. For one thing, unless you actually know Japanese, reading a list of new shows quickly degenerates into an unmemorable blur. For another thing, if you're going to translate the dialog, why not just translate the damn title as well? I think it's more a phoney attempt to be cool than a genuine effort to be "authentic", and it can only hurt efforts to mainstreamize anime in the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2