• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
The fog needs to kill you. This means Rem got killed by the Whale using the fog attack on her.

Yes, but how do they even know they're missing any of the people they can't remember? Rem and the wagon driver were erased as if they'd never been. At first I thought maybe they had some physical evidence to remind them of how many people they started with, but Rem's rewrite showed that even that would be erased, so they'd just think they had always only had 30 people instead of 55 or whatever.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gistradagis wrote:
The fog needs to kill you. This means Rem got killed by the Whale using the fog attack on her.

Yes, but how do they even know they're missing any of the people they can't remember? Rem and the wagon driver were erased as if they'd never been. At first I thought maybe they had some physical evidence to remind them of how many people they started with, but Rem's rewrite showed that even that would be erased, so they'd just think they had always only had 30 people instead of 55 or whatever.

Dunno, we go into theorycrafting, there. Maybe it's not immediate? It just happened, so they know they are missing people, but already have no idea who exactly could be missing.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a wall of text and i'll take it down if people want (or mods will do it for me...) but this is just too good to pass. - Found it on reddit:

White Whale (Mythic)

By Natsuki Subaru

The White Whale is an undefeated world boss that can spawn at Flugel's Tree around 1 AM. Battling it is a large undertaking that requires no less than a full and balanced raid of skilled players. Once you've assembled your desired party, meet up at Flugel's Tree and use the metia, <Nokia> to summon the boss.

Phase 1 - 100% - 80%

The battle begins with the pull, which is tricky in of itself. In order to give yourself the best odds of victory, the boss should be kited. Due to the fact that the White Whale will attack from far out of melee range, your kiter should have some means of generating aggro from range. A Shadow specced Hikkomori with a maxed out Witch's Whispers is ideal. Given that Witch's Whispers can only be used a finite amount of times before the caster succumbs to the stacking debuff, it's recommended to either have a second Hikkomori to trade off taunts with, or to pair one Hikkomori with a Best Girl with Al Huma talented for range. As the White Whale can one shot any character, the kiter's level is unimportant.

The kiter should engage on a mount, in advance of the raid. Once aggro is secure, the raid's ranged attackers should open fire and use all trinkets and cooldowns immediately. Melee should operate turrets to the best of their abilities.
Phase 1 is relatively easy and its smooth commission should be an afterthought.

Phase 2 - 80% - 70%

During this phase, the White Whale will not hold a main target, but will still respond to taunt mechanics, however, your melee will be able to mount the boss for direct attacks, so moving the boss carelessly should be avoided. The melee should engage the boss' weak spots and use cooldowns liberally. Ranged should continue as they did in Phase 1.

Phase 3 - 70% - 50%

The White Whale will descend and blanket the field in a white fog. Players who stand in the fog will accrue stacks of Madness. Once Madness reaches five stacks, it will root them in place and cause them to suffer 31050-39890 damage per 2 seconds until the player dies or is cleansed. Healers should prioritize cleansing Madness.

In addition to Madness, an untargetable add, Magic Fog, will move throughout the mist. Players struck by this will be immediately killed and incapable of being battle rezzed. It is of paramount importance to avoid being struck by this, even it it means accruing stacks of Madness.

The kiter should resume their role for this phase and lure the White Whale away from the raid while the healers deal with the initial wave of Madness. And players who avoided accruing stacks should give chase and attack the White Whale as it pursues the kiter.

Phase 4 - 50% - ??

The White Whale will summon clones of itself, each with its own aggro table. At this point, you're really just kinda f------.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
^
I had to edit out one word which is forum-inappropriate, but otherwise I found that pretty funny. Definitely worth a detailed read if you skipped over it due to its lengths, and it has no spoilers from beyond the current episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The author himself stated that there are units of 15 men each. Because of that when someone is forgotten they don't remember who died or got forgotten but they realize that someone from the 15 men per unit is missing. Unless at least one person from every unit is erased this context remains which functions as a "bridge" to remember that there were some people.

If you re-watch the scene when they count the casualties you can see how each of them reports killed/missing/deserted people but they don't know who exactly it is that is missing.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
@AksaraKishou
haha that was funny but i think the phase 4 part needs a better punch.
Like(warning the link is a bit vulgar):
The White Whale will summon clones of itself, each with its own aggro table...
F*ck this shit I'm out
*sound of a gunshot*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Mitrospeed wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The author himself stated that there are units of 15 men each. Because of that when someone is forgotten they don't remember who died or got forgotten but they realize that someone from the 15 men per unit is missing. Unless at least one person from every unit is erased this context remains which functions as a "bridge" to remember that there were some people.

If you re-watch the scene when they count the casualties you can see how each of them reports killed/missing/deserted people but they don't know who exactly it is that is missing.

hmn that sorta makes sense.
I did miss that from the episode but idk my gut is telling me theres something more here.
suppose only time will tell if i'm imagining it or not.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
@AksaraKishou

Ha, that definitely conjured up some unpleasant raid boss memories. Anime hyper

Too bad we probably aren't going to get it, but I'd like to see a side story dedicated to Wilhelm and Theresia's evolving relationship and how it moved from vengeance to (I'm assuming) mutual love and respect. It reminds me a bit of Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship from Rurouni Kenshin, where Kenshin is the old guard that--like Theresia--views swords as weapons, whereas Wilhelm and Kaoru see swords as a means of protection.

As a mostly action-heavy episode, I don't have a whole lot to say in regards to the plot (although Satella being a future version of Emilia a la FF8's Ultimecia's gaining more traction with me). I will say that Theresia's coloring reminded me an awful lot of Reinhardt's (did we ever get his last name?), so I'll be curious to see if that pans out to anything.

Oh, and while it might just be because I've had Greek mythology podcasts on the brain, the sudden White Whale appearances reminded me an awful, awful lot of the hydra's splitting heads. I wonder if that's why we got so much emphasis put on the "watch us tear off this Whale's body part" moments. ^^;
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I will say that Theresia's coloring reminded me an awful lot of Reinhardt's (did we ever get his last name?), so I'll be curious to see if that pans out to anything.

I thought it was established that Wilhelm is Reinhardt's father (and so Theresia is his mother)? Or is that just me assuming things?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Reinhard is an Astrea (pretty sure he gave his full name in show). And upon looking at the wikia spoiler[Thearesia is his grandmother and Wilhelm is his grandfather] Either way they are related so their coloring being the same isn't odd.
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I loved the backstory.

Only 3 whales lol, poor Subaru can't catch a break.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I will say that Theresia's coloring reminded me an awful lot of Reinhardt's (did we ever get his last name?), so I'll be curious to see if that pans out to anything.

I thought it was established that Wilhelm is Reinhardt's father (and so Theresia is his mother)? Or is that just me assuming things?

Grandfather and Grandmother respectably.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even shows that delight in telling characters' backstories right before they die (I'm looking at you, Bleach and Naruto) at least finish the job

Though in the case of one character in Naruto, they also told their backstory approximately 17.4 billion times before that as well, in the anime at least. And another had their backstory (even) more fully fleshed out after they died. So it's not like they only tell the backstory of the character right before they die. (Not sure if I'm defending the series or not)

And I would agree that he likely isn't dead, as in stories both newer and older, being eaten whole by a large creature isn't necessarily the end.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda annoying that people are so fixed on Emilia so they keep popping this nonsense about Emilia being Satella. If it ever gonna be a case (and i highly doubt) it's gonna ruin the show and universe.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Key wrote:

Grandfather and Grandmother respectably.

Whoops, must've just slipped my mind. ^^; Thanks for clearing that up!
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that should kill any speculation that a force other than the Jealous Witch is behind the time loops, but why did this different effect occur now? It's as big a mystery takeaway from this episode as the extra flying whales.

Did it really? I mean did a different effect actually occur this time or did we get to see a better picture of what is happening every time Subaru invokes the punishment. To my understanding Subaru still felt the pain as he did before because he seemed to have been given a punishment when he said "I'm Back" but was completely oblivious to what was said to him by the figure right behind him.

Also, if the only thing that happened during that punishment episode was the person's message, why isn't he surprised or bewildered that something different happened like how he was when the hands acted differently from usual when they killed Emilia. He know right away that something different had happened. However, this time, only we see that something different happened and Subaru reacts the same way that he has before to his punishment.

This gives me the impression that the person was always there but Subaru never noticed because he was always focused on the part that was causing him pain. What if that person showed up every time Subaru invoked the punishment by trying to speak about his "return by death" ability but him never noticed it?

Also, about the Witch being behind the looping. The Dragon isn't disproven from giving Subaru the Loop Ability with this, just that we can assume with greater confidence that the Witch is behind the punishment of speaking about the looping ability. If anything this gives more validity to the claim because we now know what role the Witch plays with the looping ability, She administers the punishment to Subaru.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 73