• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Little Pony Gets An Anime Twist in Fan Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usa2z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
usa2z wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Well, yes, there is also the "Gay" thing out there among a few splinters the Bronies, since they like the "forbidden misunderstood cult" aspect of it so. (Which may have started with a widely misinterpreted cult rumor about Spongebob and Patrick that got them used to watching that crap US cartoon as a cult for the first time...)
That's not to say all Bronies are gay or closet, but the appeal of being publicly misunderstood for liking "girly" things only they understand, and hypersensitively rattling swords on all public channels to defend it to the death, is visibly there. And when they feel they have to push out the biological fangirls who actually DO like the show for the show (and thus don't "deserve" to), it's pretty clear there's more than the show going on behind the craze.

Dude, are you seriously blaming gay people for the problems of the MLP fanbase!?

Let's just say, any people that narcissistically thrives on images of their own martyred persecution in society, looks everywhere for new recruits to feed their wishful ideas that their movement is "spreading" for more public credibility--usually during the high school years of bullying or confused identity--tries to enforce a smug, closed clannishness among its own feminine-perceived interest-niches while promoting messages of "peace and tolerance", and find personally validating thrill in broadcasting those odd interests to the entire world, but can occasionally sink to some rather nasty and personal-issued misogynist comments when actual females try to breach their battlements.

If you know of any OTHER groups that would fit most or all of these descriptions, please update the list. Rolling Eyes

What groups are you saying are like that? Between what I quoted and calling MLP a "gateway drug" I'm defiantly thinking you're putting gays on that list.
usa2z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
All subcultures contain a vocal minority

The problem is that it's the vocal majority. If this weren't so pervasive and recurring in everything you see and hear about bronies doing, then it wouldn't be as irritating.

Have you actually met any bronies? This is not a majority.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
usa2z wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

The problem is that it's the vocal majority. If this weren't so pervasive and recurring in everything you see and hear about bronies doing, then it wouldn't be as irritating.

I have been on the internet long enough to the point where I can see running trends and see how the vocal majority of the fanbase acts and behaves.

If there is some unspoken majority that is not like that then it doesn't disqualify the *vocal majority*. Because the key word there is vocal. If you do nothing, these people will define your fandom. If you disagree with that, instead of arguing with people over it, do something to change that image perception.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
usa2z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:
usa2z wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

I have been on the internet long enough to the point where I can see running trends and see how the vocal majority of the fanbase acts and behaves.

If there is some unspoken majority that is not like that then it doesn't disqualify the *vocal majority*. Because the key word there is vocal.

If you do not like the way the vocal majority acts and presents itself, do something to make that side less vocally powerful and fanbase-defining instead of just letting them act the way they do.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/majority?s=t

ma·jor·i·ty
[muh-jawr-i-tee, -jor-] Show IPA
noun, plural ma·jor·i·ties.
the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority ): the majority of the population.

The word I'm referring to is majority. By definition there cannot be more than one. Being vocal does not make you a majority. Have the majority of the bronies you're encountered seriously been like that?
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
usa2z wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
usa2z wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

If there is some unspoken majority that is not like that then it doesn't disqualify the *vocal majority*. Because the key word there is vocal.

If you do not like the way the vocal majority acts and presents itself, do something to make that side less vocally powerful and fanbase-defining instead of just letting them act the way they do.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/majority?s=t

ma·jor·i·ty
[muh-jawr-i-tee, -jor-] Show IPA
noun, plural ma·jor·i·ties.
the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority ): the majority of the population.

The word I'm referring to is majority. By definition there cannot be more than one. Being vocal does not make you a majority. Have the majority of the bronies you're encountered seriously been like that?

If there really are a number of bronies out there that detest this behaviour, why aren't they combatting that instead of the people actually condemning the behaviour?

Going "We're not all like that" does nothing to solve the problems in the most incredibly vocal parts of the fanbase. In fact, it's just a tactic being used EXCLUSIVLEY to try and stop people from talking about the problems with bronies. Your energy is being wasted here because it does nothing to change the public perception of bronies-- Only weeding out the terrible, terrible behaviour does.

And pointing to dictionary definitions is an incredibly condescending way to respond to someone. Yes, I know what "Majority" means. But you seem to miss the fact that I had the word "Vocal" there too.
usa2z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:

If there really are a number of bronies out there that detest this behaviour, why aren't they combatting that instead of the people actually condemning the behaviour?

In your case, you were condemning the majority of bronies in addition to the behavior.

For general cases see the earlier posts I made.

In my case, I am combating that. Observe my earlier or posts, or my tumblr.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
usa2z wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:

In your case, you were condemning the majority of bronies in addition to the behavior.

For general cases see the earlier posts I made.

In my case, I am combating that. Observe my earlier or posts, or my tumblr.

I was condemming an everpresent, consistently recurring way the vocal majority acts in response to things.

And, if you are actually doing something to combat the behaviour: Good. The most I've seen out of bronies is going "We're not all like that". And that's actually an enabling behaviour because it doesn't do anything about the problems that are causing this perception of bronies.
usa2z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
I apologize. That was the first time I've seen the phrase "vocal majority" It is not usually used as "vocal minority" in generally is defined in contrast to a silent majority. At risk of sounding like broken dictionary record Google will back me up there. You should avoid that phrase if you don't think the majority is silent.

I do agree though that unfortunately the "vocal" of the MLP fan base is sadly enabling. If that is all you mean and not that the majority of MLP fans condone the enabled behavior as I'd originally interpreted, I apologize for misinterpreting and being condescending about it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
I personally still hold true to the belief that the main problem with the vocal majority in any community is they have the outdated mindset of the internet being a digital Wild West where anything goes, which just isn't true anymore.

And the fact nerd culture can be pretty damn sexist at times in general.

But yeah, it's true too many anime/pony/game/etc fans enable bad behavior by saying " we aren't all like that" or "it's just a minority". And steps should be taken to lessen such attitudes & people should take a stand against the shitheads on the internet. But again at the same time I can't think of any fan that would want to fight that battle every day. But I do agree when you come across someone who acts horrid that you should call them out on it, and I have done so before. I just don't go actively looking for people like that.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I personally still hold true to the belief that the main problem with the vocal majority in any community is they have the outdated mindset of the internet being a digital Wild West where anything goes, which just isn't true anymore.

And the fact nerd culture can be pretty damn sexist at times in general.

But yeah, it's true too many anime/pony/game/etc fans enable bad behavior by saying " we aren't all like that" or "it's just a minority". And steps should be taken to lessen such attitudes & people should take a stand against the shitheads on the internet. But again at the same time I can't think of any fan that would want to fight that battle every day. But I do agree when you come across someone who acts horrid that you should call them out on it, and I have done so before. I just don't go actively looking for people like that.

If you have the energy to say "We're not all like that" You have the energy to say "That's not cool, bro". Especially considering how combative the "We're not all like that" guys get.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
usa2z wrote:
Have the majority of the bronies you're encountered seriously been like that?

In my personal experience, yes, the majority of them are extremely hateful and angry the second you say anything that they interpret as a personal insult, especially broad generalizations.

I have one or two friends who identify as Bronies and they're OK so long as I don't ever ask them about the show - they become very defensive very fast.

But the majority of bronies I've dealt with personally and especially the bronies I've watched Hope deal with are intensely hateful, angry, threatening people the minute you point out bad behavior, question the fandom's quickness to condemn women, all that. The ones that don't bust out the rape/death threats universally do the handwave/downplay "we're not all like that" dance and never actually condemn the bad behavior; usually they just cry about being victimized because you used a generalization they didn't like.

It is the worst fandom I've ever encountered. This is all based on first-hand experience.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
usa2z wrote:
Have the majority of the bronies you're encountered seriously been like that?

In my personal experience, yes, the majority of them are extremely hateful and angry the second you say anything that they interpret as a personal insult, especially broad generalizations.

I have one or two friends who identify as Bronies and they're OK so long as I don't ever ask them about the show - they become very defensive very fast.

But the majority of bronies I've dealt with personally and especially the bronies I've watched Hope deal with are intensely hateful, angry, threatening people the minute you point out bad behavior, question the fandom's quickness to condemn women, all that. The ones that don't bust out the rape/death threats universally do the handwave/downplay "we're not all like that" dance and never actually condemn the bad behavior; usually they just cry about being victimized because you used a generalization they didn't like.

It is the worst fandom I've ever encountered. This is all based on first-hand experience.

Fair enough, I feel sorry for both you and Hope having to put up with crap like that. And I fully understand you can only judge something based on ones personal experience. But calling it the worst fandom is still a bit harsh. Personally I've had mostly horrible experiences with the anime & sonic fandoms both online & IRL over the years. Given nothing as extreme as what you mention, but still I don't consider either the worst fandom ever because of my bad experiences, nor do I keep either from hampering my enjoyment of anime & sonic.

@Adam1: As I mentioned when I see people like that I do call them out on it, be it reporting them or their post to a site admin/mod or what not. I just don't actively go looking for people doing bad things.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
But calling it the worst fandom is still a bit harsh. Personally I've had mostly horrible experiences with the anime & sonic fandoms both online & IRL over the years. Given nothing as extreme as what you mention, but still I don't consider either the worst fandom ever because of my bad experiences, nor do I keep either from hampering my enjoyment of anime & sonic.

See, this is the mentality, though.

I said the worst fandom I've ever experienced. Not in history, not objectively, the worst I personally have ever experienced. That isn't "a bit harsh", it's my perspective based on what I've seen firsthand.

"That guy screamed at me and threw a rock at my face, he's a dick." "Oh well I think calling him a dick is a bit harsh"

What, he didn't scream at you or throw a rock at your face so that means it's "harsh" for me to consider him a dick?

What kind of logic is this?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
But calling it the worst fandom is still a bit harsh. Personally I've had mostly horrible experiences with the anime & sonic fandoms both online & IRL over the years. Given nothing as extreme as what you mention, but still I don't consider either the worst fandom ever because of my bad experiences, nor do I keep either from hampering my enjoyment of anime & sonic.

See, this is the mentality, though.

I said the worst fandom I've ever experienced. Not in history, not objectively, the worst I personally have ever experienced. That isn't "a bit harsh", it's my perspective based on what I've seen firsthand.

"That guy screamed at me and threw a rock at my face, he's a dick." "Oh well I think calling him a dick is a bit harsh"

What, he didn't scream at you or throw a rock at your face so that means it's "harsh" for me to consider him a dick?

What kind of logic is this?

Eh, when you're right, you're right. As long as it's not an absolutist "this is the worst fanbase in the history of ever"people have the right to view any fanbase as negatively or positively as they want based on their own personal experiences. And I guess it only makes sense someone in your position would see the nastier sides of fanbases/communities. And be submitted to them far more often then a regular Joe such as myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6