• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Outlaw Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems the reviews are lining up pretty well with my previous impressions. If this is the case, Nicholas will not have his eyes pop again until episode 15 (though 14 is pretty darn great, too, and often underappreciated). This stretch of middle episodes has its ups and downs, and does some decent world-building with some intriguing/fun ideas, but often doesn't live up to what it's trying to do. I will say again that Outlaw Star is very uneven and has pacing issues, but it's a strange series in that its strengths are able to overcome its weaknesses in the long haul. While I was lukewarm on it when I first saw it in 2001, in spite of its problems, this is a series that I just end up appreciating more over time. I think I've watched it three times over the years, most recently the remastered edition on Toonami.

Best: 1, 7-8, 15, 20-22, 25-26
Great: 2, 14
Good: 3-4, 16-17, 24
Decent: 6, 9-12
Iffy: 5, 13, 18-19, 23
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the Outlaw Star space race arc was the inspiration for Space Dandy's episode 7, "A Race in Space Is Dangerous, Baby." (With perhaps a tiny bit of Outlaw Star's episode 14 thrown in.)

WARNING: Episode 13's a real stinker. Episode 14 is a strong return to form, and Episode 15 is legendary.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:

WARNING: Episode 13's a real stinker. Episode 14 is a strong return to form, and Episode 15 is legendary.

Eh, it's all subjective. Personally I have the exact opposite opinions of 13 and 14, I enjoyed 13 quite a bit but found 14 to be rather unappealing.
I do agree 100% about 15 being amazing though. It's easily one of the best in the whole show.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

Eh, it's all subjective. Personally I have the exact opposite opinions of 13 and 14, I enjoyed 13 quite a bit but found 14 to be rather unappealing.
I do agree 100% about 15 being amazing though. It's easily one of the best in the whole show.

I'll give you that it's subjective. 13 has some interesting intrigue and world-building, and is genuinely amusing...it's just that it comes across as a little too farcical for my tastes, IIRC. I like a little better mix of seriousness and comedy in my Outlaw Star episodes. I don't remember the animation being all that great, either. With 14, it just has an overall tone and tension that I can buy into more, and based on memory, the animation is more on point. It felt more like an extension of the tone from, say, the opening episodes. Granted, it leans a bit into Die Hard territory, but it's a fun stand-alone adventure that gives everyone in the Outlaw Star crew something important to do by the end. It feels like a more natural mix of a day-in-the-life with Starwind and Hawking Enterprises. They're given a job, and things get complicated and dangerous. To some extent, it's one of those episodes where a person sees the loose connection people often make between Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

Again, all subjective, but just explaining my perspective based on from when I last saw it around two years ago.

Now, 15, yeah. I think that's one where when I first saw it, it's like, all right, now I have to keep watching to see where this goes.

PS: spoiler[Gene more or less wears Spike Spiegel's outfit in Episode 13...which aired one day before Cowboy Bebop's debut on TV Tokyo!]
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@LightningCount

I thought that both 13 and 14 were pretty good at covering the day-to-day activities of S&H, and they both had a mix of humor and serious elements. That said, I found the spoiler[mickey-mouse hat wearing antagonist of 14] to be a bit too farcical for me. I would have felt the same way about 13--spoiler[the giant killer cockroach and psychic cactus stories are pretty silly, but it was all redeemed thanks to Melfina stepping in (literally) and saving the day in a rather brutal fashion, which in addition to the shock value also showed a very interesting side of her character.] I don't recall the animation quality of either episode honestly. Outlaw Star did have some serious issues with inconsistent animation, but the only one that sticks out in my mind is one of the very late episodes in which the characters are so far off model that it's scary.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It always felt to me that the live-action series Firefly and follow-up movie Serenity starring Nathan Fillion were spiritual successors to Outlaw Star. Everything from the weird ships to Chinese takeover to lawless space. Even the characters were similar. They even had a magical space girl.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
It always felt to me that the live-action series Firefly and follow-up movie Serenity starring Nathan Fillion were spiritual successors to Outlaw Star. Everything from the weird ships to Chinese takeover to lawless space. Even the characters were similar. They even had a magical space girl.

Totally agreed. The list of similarities is huge. And it wasn't just a "magical space girl", it was spoiler[a magical space girl frozen in a suitcase]

I think Joss Whedon got quite a bit of his inspiration from anime in general. His earlier TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't too far off from classic anime titles like Devil Hunter Yohko....
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I think this was a fair reading of these episodes. As I stated before, 14 hit me more than 13, but I suppose they both round things out.

Did you notice how Gene is copping some of Cowboy Bebop's Spike's style in the image you chose for these episodes? With Outlaw Star being very loosely based on a manga, and Cowboy Bebop coming during Outlaw Star's run by Sunrise, I always wonder if Cowboy Bebop took any influence from Outlaw Star. Something that comes to mind just now: The bomber group had goofy animal headwear just like the eco-terrorists in Bebop later in.

Can't wait to see how you react to 15.

Side note: I do writing, too, so I know these things happen, but just thought I'd point them out.

"The subplot with Aisha chasing a giant but [bug] through the sewers is less memorable..."

"Plus the [we] get a pretty rad fight scene after hunting down the would-be bombers..."

As for the Firefly/Serenity etc. notes...I think Whedon denied it multiple times, for better or worse. In his defense, the girl-in-stasis trope has been used in a lot of scifi anime--Votoms and Crusher Joe come to mind.

Oh, speaking of, just recently got into Crusher Joe...and I found a missing link for the 90s space cowboy genre. This has gotta go with Space Adventure Cobra as one of the founding influences of the Outlaw Stars and Bebops of the world.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I see Outlaw Star episode 13 and my instincts tell me to click with the quickness to see if you talked about "it". I was disappointed that there was no mention of "it". What am I referring to?

Yes. Spit Sperm. When people talk about OS, this doesn't go unmentioned because it is just crazy and hilarious that something so specific was added by the staff. Even ANN reported on it back in the day (you can find it if you look) when it was edited on Cartoon Network. What makes it even more funny is that its placed right next to the ice cream shop (get it?). One can only think these 2 stores might be in business together. Laughing

Good times.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
I see Outlaw Star episode 13 and my instincts tell me to click with the quickness to see if you talked about "it". I was disappointed that there was no mention of "it".
Good times.

There's a lot you miss unless you're looking for it.
For example if you have the original print of the DVD's near the end of episode 14 has an engrish translation. When the bomb is stopped instead of saying "Congratulations" it says "Congraturations".
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

There's a lot you miss unless you're looking for it.
For example if you have the original print of the DVD's near the end of episode 14 has an engrish translation. When the bomb is stopped instead of saying "Congratulations" it says "Congraturations".

Yeah, there are lots of neat hidden details in Outlaw Star.

It had confused me for years why the font for the episode title was different for ep.14. People had said it was some kind of error in the localization, but it appears different even on the Japanese LD. It turns out that is the same font used on the album cover of "The Final Countdown" by Europa, which was a big hit worldwide in the 80's and shares its name with the episode.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
I always cherish the show, it's fun romp. I do think that it had roughs pots, but what show doesn't?

Like others said, it was fun adventure and that what it should looks to me.

I did not like some of the things when it first came out and dubbed was they changed alot of the more mature the scenes. Eliminated the Hot Springs episode, which had some important parts leading to ending and origin of the magic Gene wields. I do admit it was EXTRA SILLY at times.

Having seen the subtitled version, i can say i do find the Dubbing cast did smash up job with what they had.

I wish the series had enough popularity to make it into another season.
Mr Boobo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I am curious if the reviewer also plans to watch the spin off series Angel Links? It was not as good as Outlaw Star but it was interesting how it added a bit to the universe (also am a big fan of the OP).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20 is great, and handled was one of the few times they handled the heavier stuff well. The tone doesn't feel out of place like episode 15, as it still keeps the silliness but without it getting in the way.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer already worried about the best episode.

All of the Plot is in the Hot Springs of Planet Tenrei. All of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4