• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Italian Police Seize 400 Pirated Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Either that or at the movie theatre. Hopefully with the special extras! (the heads of people finding/leaving their seats Very Happy )

Either that or the glorious moment of when the screen might black out or the sound blows, woo-hah!
vickeyv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Takase wrote:
Wrong on so many levels.

Japanese licensors do not base their prices on "whether fansub downloaders are getting their products." The Japanese understand the concept of "Viral Marketing" and for the most part look the other way on something like this. This is part of the reason why "Doujinshi" (even Hentai Doujin) is allowed.

Dude i never brought up japan in my post so there is no need for you to lecture me about the state of economy there. I know already, i also know that fans ther will never settle for something of low quality like a fansub.

Shinji wrote:
American licensees are the same way. Many of the American licensors use the fansub communities to "help gauge interest" in anime titles (there are few examples of NA license companies getting a title before a fansub group does) and the long-time anime fansub groups abide by a "gentleman's code" for their subbing - Once a title is licensed by a NA distributor, they stop all subbing for whatever is licensed - and all currently subbed stuff is no longer available.

Dude this segement of your post is just toilet paper material. "subbing ceases when title is licenced". Naruto got licenced, its still subbed and hosted on multiple sites for direct downloading. Bleach got licenced but it is still downloaded by hundreds of thousands. When a title is licenced, its DVD rips are available online. Take any title and serach on a torrent provider and you will get avialability for downloading. Where is your code now. This stuff you talk about is just pacification for crimes that you people commit when anime is downloaded off the net. Stealing and watching is one thing, but to come up and twist statements and to dogmaticaly assert that the euthopian idea of fansubbers is a reality is just plain wrong.

Yes fansub activity is also used for gauging popularity of a title but thats only if your ethopian idea manifest, for now fansubs eat into DVD sale profits, you can just not deny this.
I am astonished when i read on forums that AMerican kids go and say that anime is too expensive so they download anime, get a job. THis has got to be the only forum where people exist who actualy buy anime. What is a non-American gonna assume when people resideing in the US go and Flame there own licencing comapnies and steal from them.
Shnji wrote:

Understand this as well - The price for the DVD you purchase has more to do with the original "tribute" paid to the Japanese company, fees for translations, marketing, video and audio production/mixing/mastering, paying the voice actors and technical staff, graphic designing of materials (DVD covers, etc), DVD manufacturing, promotion and distribution. You pay more for the driver of the 53-foot tractor-trailer driving your DVD to Best Buy and Suncoast than you do for "hypothetical lost sales due to piracy (which cannot be proven by any verifiable/quantifiable means, btw)" with every DVD purchase.

Just sayin'

Packaging and the empty DVD will cost at the very most if you strech like hell the price of these stuff $1. I know this much since i have seen market DVD-Rs and cases prices for less than
that. Printing comes out to be purely insignificant when done in bulk and when the price is divided by the total number of printts, it will be around a couple of cents per DVD, so ignore that as well.
The rest is all profit. And the number of sales will reap that much profit. RIght now the American Licencing companies are taking a page out of the Japanese books by really charging any one who commits to buying the DVD, since they know what eva the price is the fan is gonna buy it. Thu the US companies still break some levy.
IF Every one bought anime instead of downloading it US companies could lower the price to keep fans intrested and increase the quality of the dub as well and the dub actors can live better lives as well.

No matter what you say or do, fansubs are and will alawys be a free source of anime which cease being a marketing tool when its distributed after licenceing, last time i checked practicaly every anime
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
As Anime Companies become more sophisticated in the policing of Dvd rips and fansubs, i defintly expect a huge crackdown on illegal distribution through the internet.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Alex K. wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
It was funny thu because it was filmed in glorius "shakey cam" with arabic subs

"Shakey cam"? Is that where someone holds a camcorder up to the TV and hits record?

Either that or at the movie theatre. Hopefully with the special extras! (the heads of people finding/leaving their seats Very Happy )

yeah its when someone camcorders the movie in the theatre. its even better when you get the audionce participaption soundtrack popcorn being eating people coughing and of course "hey you down in front"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
As Anime Companies become more sophisticated in the policing of Dvd rips and fansubs, i defintly expect a huge crackdown on illegal distribution through the internet.

Unless they want to shut down the internet entirely, I don't see that happening.

Now, if they come up with a competant Copy-protection system (and not the half-assed attempts by the Music Industry which stall players and corrupt computers with Trojan Horses), then I can see your point.
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
I totally agree with Vickeyv. If your downloading out of inpatience or because your too cheap, you really need to get a life and congrats on watching crappy looking anime with poor sound quality, your totally cheating yourself out of the whole experience of watching anime.

And if money is a real issue atleast get Netflix for 17.99 a month. They have all lisenced Anime you can watch. And how much is 17.99, its less then 2 movie theater tickets.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
Man those are expensive bootlegs; they must be high quality.
hikaru004 wrote:
Yeah Italy!

Now if only the FBI would learn from the Italian police and get the US stores that are doing this.
Nah, the've probably got bigger things to do. But I agree, some sort of law enforcement has to take some sort of action. The U.S. gov't can't just ask other Asian countries to crack down on pirating when we aren't even making an effort to do so in our own country.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Darkenin13 wrote:
And if money is a real issue atleast get Netflix for 17.99 a month. They have all lisenced Anime you can watch. And how much is 17.99, its less then 2 movie theater tickets.

This sounds really good - do they ship to Central Europe? No? Damn, guess I'm stuck with having no life and cheating myself out of the experience of watching cartoons. Or something.

(I'm getting so tired of this "if it's available in the US it's available everywhere!" attitude....)
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Well since you live in europe the value of your money is more then the US, so you can certainly afford to buy US products that will ship to Europe. And maybe since you don't have a life you can start a European Netflix.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Darkenin13 wrote:
Well since you live in europe the value of your money is more then the US, so you can certainly afford to buy US products that will ship to Europe. And maybe since you don't have a life you can start a European Netflix.

I appreciate the effort, but next time you may want to get acquainted with Europe in general before attempting to write snarky replies. (Just a few facts: the EU is not one big state, not every country in Europe uses euro, and GDP varies greatly from country to country. You may also want to look up the value of forint, the currency of my country, against US dollar.)

(For the record, I do buy US releases of anime, in spite of different region codes, whenever I can afford it - mostly because R2 releases are either more expensive or subbed/dubbed in a language I don't speak.)
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
@mufurc you should shame your self, ok just kidding. Listen while you are at it why don't you look at the economies of other countries say some 3rd world country. arent anime fans there the same as you me, and just about every one out there. THere hunt for products is alawys second on the list. Jobz are so hard to come by. In Europe and the USA undergrads can easily take up jobs at Mc Donalds and such alikes and end up getting paid decent. There Graduate students get to work in places like Mc Donalds and earn less than three quarters of your hourly wages, now what the justice in that. They get paid like around 1/3 less than an AMerican and a European but they have to pay like twice as much for a DVD if you add the $25 in shipping to the cost of the $25 of the DVD. Even then i know people who ship foreign DVDs, hell i myself buy anime merchandise from abroad and yeah i intend on buying stacks of anime DVDs if i travel abroad. Because i care about my experince. I don't want to settle for third rate viewing instruments like anime on avi files.

And as far as the attitude that its available in the US, let me remind you that anime fans there were the people who made it happen by investing into anime and buying original products. Anime licencing companies did not come out of the blue. People had to make sacrifices, ok i sound a bit dramatic here, but in the end its your fandom which matters.
Btw also time, watch as much anime as you can before you get really tangled up in life, its a cruel and difficult world out there.
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
my first statement was clearly targeting the American Majority not the european and foreign minority. And Im sorry but I just felt the need for retaliation to your comment, because you knew who it was targeting. Also since you know english and you also said central europe I was under the impression of the Euro, or maybe even the pound where both are currently more valuable then the US dollar.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I love how every thread involving bootlegged DVDs and CDs devolves into a fight about fansubs when fansubs are not the point of the original article. These articles involve people making money off of copies of anime DVDs, which actually can cut into profits since the people buying were willing to pay some money, at least.

Start working on removing the piracy for profit, then we can debate the piracy for free. Wink
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Packaging and the empty DVD will cost at the very most if you strech like hell the price of these stuff $1. I know this much since i have seen market DVD-Rs and cases prices for less than
that. Printing comes out to be purely insignificant when done in bulk and when the price is divided by the total number of printts, it will be around a couple of cents per DVD, so ignore that as well.
The rest is all profit. And the number of sales will reap that much profit.

Um, what are you smoking? The cost of packaging is not the only expense in putting out an anime series. Let's spell it out:

- Licensing: aka Paying the Japanese company for the rights. Which, according to some sources, can cost up to $50,000 per episode
- Translation: Paying a person (or persons) to translate an episode into English.
- Script editing: Making the subtitles readable and the script match the lip-flaps for the dubbing
- Dubbing, this is a whole subset itself that includes:
-- Actors for each role
-- Director
-- Sound engineer during recording
-- Studio rental and/or equipment
-- Sound mixing between sound effects and voices
- Titling and subtitling
- DVD mastering
- Design work for the covers
- Printing
- Pressing the DVDs
- Shipments to distributors
- Advertising: Another whole subset
-- Creating a trailer for other DVDs
-- Print advertising in flyers and magazines
-- DVD samples in Newtype or freebie giveaways
- Shared business expenses: Each DVD has to make enough to pay part of running the overall:
-- Office rental
-- Administrative staff
-- Office equipment
-- Office supplies
-- Website
-- Space and sponsership at conventions

It may not seem like much to you, but each job has one or more people working it, all of which need to paid an hourly living wage (or a salary). It all adds up. And they also need to have enough money left over to hopefully buy rights to new anime series.

NOW, if you were talking about the bootleg DVDs, then, yes, the price is about $1 a DVD to make, because they pay for little, if nothing, for production costs. Sometimes they don't even need to translate the shows to English thanks to fansub scripts being freely available.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
eeer i sorta know that, i meant to say the rest profit in sales per unit, since number of units in the end will determine the actual profit.

in any case retail piracy is a parasite and the local media industry can never reap its full potential with it, so the better they exterminate them the better.

But trust me downloadable anime should also be banned, more for the consumers good than the companies, people dont deserve to watch such bad quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4