• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing KotZ back when it was on TV and I had no idea it had been "horrendously covered up" to remove all traces of violence. Now that I read what you've all said, it seems like that stupid DiC (haha, see what I did there?) tried to pull a 4Kids in their own dimwitted way. It's odd for me to say this since I relied on them for my favorite shows growing up: Dinosaucers, Dennis the Menace, Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, I could go on (true though Dic co-produced these with others).

But obviously, gussying up anime to hide the violence is such an old-fashioned way of doing things it's no wonder they got spat on. Sorry guys, it might have worked on Sailor Moon (though opinions do vary on that show too) back in the 90s, but not by 2004's standards where viewers do not want kid-friendly shows any more (sorry soccer moms, but take a damn hike).
stoicelder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Jason. I never read or watched Saint Seiya, but I could see myself obsessing over it back in high school.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:
I stopped reading when the article said 'it was never a hit on America'

It was never a hit on United States. Because Saint Seiya was a very big hit on Mexico, Argentina, Brazil and evey Latin and Center American country.

Saint Seiya, like Sailor Moon, were big hits, but censorship on the USA made the series arrive to late. To this day... you can find Saint Seiya action figures on Mexican Malls, imported from the recent releases on Japan. It was a hit as big as Dragon Ball here.

You're right that Saint Seiya was very popular in Central and South America! But as I hope was obvious, I was using "America" as short for "United States of America"... Sorry if this was somehow offensive, but I am an American and that's how we talk. If hearing people say "America" as short for "USA" bugs you, don't ever listen to any American politicians or read any American newspapers or you'll have a brain aneurysm. -_-

Last edited by ptolemy18 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
not to be "that guy", but I'd like to say one thing for the sake of clarity.

In the Biblical narrative, Abraham didn't actually sacrifice any of his children. He was prepared to sacrifice his second son, Isaac, but was stopped from doing so. The test was whether he believed that God had the power to raise his son from death.

Thanks for commenting! It's true, Abraham didn't actually sacrifice any of his children because God stopped him, so it's a bit of a loose analogy to compare it to Saint Seiya. Although I have to say, from my readings of the Old Testament and my admittedly spotty religious studies, I've never heard anyone say he believed that God had the power to raise his son from death.

Not to drag things OT into religious discussion territory on Anime News Network, though, so feel free to tweet about it to me at @khyungbird if you like!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3