• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's Hoshi o Ou Kodomo Licensed in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that makes a ton more sense, OldCharlie. Although I thoroughly disagree with your assessment of the Godly Shinkai as a mere "one trick pony." However, it is your constitutional right to hold a wrong opinion. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I'll buy it on DVD just so I can put it on the shelf next to Shinkai's other titles, but I'm not sure if I'll even open it. I was very excited going in to watch it at Otakon this year, but left feeling rather empty. It starts flat and ends flat with the middle just grinding through story elements that felt like time filler rather than tying the story together. Plus it's really hard to watch this and not wonder "how would Miyazaki have done this?" I was pretty upset with the movie, enough that I couldn't be bothered to hang around for the Q&A with Shinkai afterward. Easily the weakest of his four movies, hopefully with his next movie he truly does something that's his own rather than a pale imitation of someone else's style.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this title's N.A. release (preferably dubbed in English and on BD), though still not happy with what happened at WFAC. I'm not even going to bother to speculate as to which company gained the licence. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering how lately Sentai has been releasing Comix Wave stuff, I would be surprised if it wasn't them who got the license.

This is my line of thinking too. In fact, I've had a suspicion that Sentai was going after it once they started to license those other ComixWave films. There certainly didn't seem to be any demand for them over here and Sentai has a history of picking up smaller titles before nailing a bigger one from a license holder.

Plus, as others have pointed out ADV originally licensed all the other Shinkai films and they would likely be interested in this one as well. Funimation is always a possibility as well and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a bidding war on this one.
mercurycc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@OldCharlie:

Quote:
I saw this at NYAF; while I didn't think it was a great film (one-trick-pony Shinkai doing his thing again, a lot of borrowing from Miyazaki)

That comment was so off-base it literally made me burst out laughing. You may hate or love Shinkai and you may hate or love Miyazaki but the one thing you could never do is mistake one for the other. Now I understand that this one is Ghibli-influenced, but none of Shinkai's other works even came close to reminding me of Miyazaki. Laughing Too funny.

I think you misunderstood my post. The comma in the parentheses was meant to indicate two separate thoughts. I wasn't saying that Shinkai has been borrowing from Miyazaki all along, just in his latest. The reference to "doing his thing" has to do with all his works being about unrequited or doomed love. Sorry if that was not clear.

I would love to believe this is because of reasons beyond his control. Marketing or whatever.

Whatever you were trying to say, I take it as "this film is busted".

And sadly, I totally agree, to a much greater degree.

It only takes 2 hours to find out why. A friendly reminder: forget about Shinkai. Just watch Hoshi o Ou Kodomo as a movie someone on Reddit recommended to you.
mercurycc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, that makes a ton more sense, OldCharlie. Although I thoroughly disagree with your assessment of the Godly Shinkai as a mere "one trick pony." However, it is your constitutional right to hold a wrong opinion. Wink

Forget about Shinkai. This movie is totally busted.
Imalmostgone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Emerje that this is Shinkai's weakest piece to date but it is still a freaking masterpiece.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but how many times can he repackage the same old biscuit before it gets stale. I think it's stale already, and he's on record that he can do nothing else. It seems like he had a bad experience in his love life that he just can't get over. Rolling Eyes
Imalmostgone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
From a personal standpoint, and I hate to box Shinkai in this way, what I liked least about the new film is that it wasn't so much about the dull ache of lost love as his earlier works were and more of a fantasy piece. NO ONE does that like he does, no one, and I don't really care if he makes 20 emo un-requited love pieces I'll watch everyone gladly because it connects.

AGAIN, I'm just kinda being selfish and admittedly ridiculous to a point here because I did enjoy the film immensely but I want more of the straight up sad love stories from this guy because he does that to such a high degree of success.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy of the Japanese LE last Friday night and immediately watched it. LOOOOOOOVED IT. It certainly is a tonal departure for Shinkai, but I don't think that is a bad thing. I would have loved to have seen this on the big screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2