• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime You Should Have Watched in Fall 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So Shaft made both Madoka and Monogatari in the same year? I think it's the same directors
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I definitely remembered watching some of these anime when they came out: Magi, Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, Coppelion, and Strike the Blood.

I also wanted to add in Valvrave Season 2, Gundam Build Fighters Freezing Vibration, Infinite Stratos (Season 2), and Tokyo Ravens since I also remembered watching these too back then during my 2nd year on campus.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
A pox on the House of Aniplex for burying Samurai Flamenco! No, it would have never been a big hit or anything, but I would have loved to have a R1 release. Fortunately, I laugh in Region Free at their blu ray stranglehold.
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyousougiga was definitely my favourite anime of 2013, even if I still can't adequately summarize what it's about. I have friends who loved KLK, but honestly, Imaishi's works have never really clicked with me. I respect his commitment to his particular style of hyper-kinetic animation, but otherwise I just can't get into anime directed by him.

tintor2 wrote:
So Shaft made both Madoka and Monogatari in the same year? I think it's the same directors

Akiyuki Shinbo has directed the vast majority of everything Shaft has made since 2004, so yeah, same director.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd add three shows to that list: Uchouten Kazoku, Gin no Saji, and maybe Gatchaman Crowds (second season was more interesting to me).
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Aside from what was mentioned above about Shinbo being the head of everything Shaft, the Monogatari series had Tatsuya Oishi and Tomoyuki Itamura, while the Madoka franchise was led by Yukihiro Miyamoto.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I remember Kill La Kill. For a moment it seemed it was going to become the new big thing and then... it didn't. Everyone moved on and looked for other series. Ditto for Yowamushi Pedal. A spokon with a green haired otaku voiced by "Midoriya"... and nothing. It's still going and nobody can say it is a flop. But… apparently, cycling animes or manga do not bring lots of readers/viewers outside Japan.

It's strange, though, that I've read lately more pieces about Samurai Flamenco -an anime that in the end lead to the end of their studio- than about Kill La Kill.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for remembering White Album 2. That was a slow burn that got white hot right at the end.

As for Golden Time, I think that’s the first time I truly hate-watched an anime. Dumb protagonist, dumb premise, and I didn’t even think the girl was all that great. The most fun I had watching it was counting the Miss Monochrome background cameos (another character voiced by Yui Horie).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Akiyuki Shinbo has directed the vast majority of everything Shaft has made since 2004, so yeah, same director.

TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Aside from what was mentioned above about Shinbo being the head of everything Shaft, the Monogatari series had Tatsuya Oishi and Tomoyuki Itamura, while the Madoka franchise was led by Yukihiro Miyamoto.

Yeah, the situation at Shaft is weird. You look at the credits for most of their stuff since Shinbo joined, he'll be credited as "Chief Director" and someone else as "Director", or maybe he's "Director" and the other person is "Series Director". And often, that's the only credit Shinbo has, whereas if you look at Madoka, Yukihiro Miyamoto's also credited with directing episodes 1 and 12. Nisekoi season 1: "Series Director" Naoyuki Tatsuwa has storyboard and/or unit director credits on the OP and five episodes. Bakemonogatari: Tatsuya Oishi has storyboard, unit director, episode director, and key animator credits.

Shinbo's been the face of the company practically my entire time in anime fandom, but he's not usually the guy rolling up his sleeves and making the production run.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:23 am Reply with quote
Wow i can't believe it has been over 10 years since these titles aired. This was around the time i actually started to watch anime as they aired rather than shows that are on TV or already aired. It was a whole new experience discussing and watching anime with others as they aired on the community.

Log HorizonThis was definitely a whole new experience when it came to watching isekai/stuck in game trope, keep in mind this aired back when it was at its roots so it wasn't as saturated as it is today and most others, me included checked it out cause we were fresh out of an SAO hype, it is nothing alike and it was a great watch, especially for anyone who used to play MMO's. The Later seasons were not as great as s1 but overall the series was a ]great story to watch.

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru This there is nothing to say, it was your cute romance/harem story involving a chocolate themed girl, the story involved the guy trying to break a curse that he has two options when it comes to woman like a visual novel and if he does not do em he suffers. i forgot about it mostly but it did introduce me to this type of genre.

Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai This is another ln adapted title involving living dolls and a magical academet, the mc is looking to find the person who killed his sister and it basically involved the usual magical academy/mystery murder cliches. Not really memorable but again it was also another title that introduced me to this genre.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova,Now this is an interesting show, cause for one it was one first fully 3DCGI animation productions and despite most people disdain for that style in anime.

it really works out for this one and i have to say despite being over a decade old it has mostly aged gracefully, especially the actions sequences. The Movie sequels are better and anyone with a particular interest in naval warfare should see it. I also like the collaborations it has with the game World of Warships

Outbreak Company
Now this takes me back, again this aired back when isekai was still relatively new as a genre and i enjoyed the hinjinks and plot about introducing otaku culture to a whole new civilization and the funny misunderstandings that come with it, it also provided me a bit of an introductory glimpse how otaku culture would be like.

The plot involving the government secret agenda was a nice twist but i can't help but wonder that it also prevented more of it being made, cause i remember there was a bit of backlash back when it aired regarding that direction. Japanese are notoriously sensitive whenever they portray their government as shady.

Those are the titles i remember watching as they aired a few others that aired around that time i caught up with later like Kill La Kill and Beyond the Boundary both are great titles. There is a lot of stuff worth checking out if u have not seen any of them yet for new comers and it is nice for us who did to look back with fondness and nostalgia.[/b]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:23 am Reply with quote
Best thumbnail. Smile

I didn't realize that so many things I liked came out in this one season. Kill la Kill in particular is an all-time favorite. Everything I've seen of Imaishi's work has clicked with me on a visceral level...I mean, the guy just gets that animation should be about energy and spectacle. It's clear that the series didn't have the most lavish time/money budget ever, probably because it was Trigger's debut work as their own studio, but it used freeze frames to great comedic effect (see: everything Mako), and even as a character trait in Nui's case. Total blast of a show, with a fantastic soundtrack and a spectacular dub to boot.

I'm not sure I could explain anything about Kyousougiga even if you paid me, despite sitting through all of it. Either way I know I started watching a zany explosion of color and physical comedy that wound up being an incredibly heartfelt story about a family reconciling their differences and realizing how much they cared about each other. Certainly one of the most unique series I've ever come across, and one that deserves to be much better known.

Speaking of, I think Patema Inverted is criminally overlooked, as it's one of my all-time favorite anime movies. It takes what on the surface is a fairly simple sci-fi premise and turns it into a fantastic series of visual set pieces that are guaranteed to give you acrophobia. The big reveal at the end is an all-time twist too. I greatly enjoyed Yoshiura's previous work Time of Eve, and I'd highly recommend this as well to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I finally got around to Madoka in the past couple of years, and I instantly understood what the decade-old hype was all about. As much controversy as Rebellion stirred, I for one loved it. It was fascinating watching the very distinct arcs play out, and honestly I thought much of it had a very hopeful note, as we got to see the positive side of Madoka's wish in action. And then that glorious, wonderful kick to the face of an ending. It's no surprise to learn after the fact that Urobuchi came up with it at the last second. I'm not sure what to expect from the resolution of a decade-long cliffhanger, but I hope after he puts us through the wringer he'll find a way to give everyone the happy ending he wanted.

(Princess Kaguya really needs to be at the top of my pile of shame.)
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:37 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Log HorizonThis was definitely a whole new experience when it came to watching isekai/stuck in game trope, keep in mind this aired back when it was at its roots so it wasn't as saturated as it is today and most others, me included checked it out cause we were fresh out of an SAO hype, it is nothing alike and it was a great watch, especially for anyone who used to play MMO's. The Later seasons were not as great as s1 but overall the series was a ]great story to watch.

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Log Horizon, despite being 1000% over the isekai + game world trends at this point. I feel like if it were to air now instead of right near the very beginning of that boom, we'd all feel a lot more impressed by it as the extremely rare series that actually put the slightest bit of thought into its base concept. It's bizarre how it's this unusual for an author to stop for a moment and wonder, what would society be like for a bunch of people stuck in the world of a video game? And then explore how such a setting would affect a wide variety of characters.

While I feel Log Horizon still had its share of issues, it at least was willing to dig with an honest-to-god shovel, and not just a teaspoon.

spoiler[And the OP was legendary, can't forget that.]
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:49 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
As for Golden Time, I think that’s the first time I truly hate-watched an anime. Dumb protagonist, dumb premise, and I didn’t even think the girl was all that great. The most fun I had watching it was counting the Miss Monochrome background cameos (another character voiced by Yui Horie).

I completely agree I watched this years later and it was terrible. I still can't quite get over how bad it was. I missed those cameos though!
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
The other day I saw a video go viral on social media criticizing Nagi no Asukara because of its ridiculous love polygon. I liked it precisely because of how ridiculous it was, and I say that as someone who hates love triangles in general Laughing There's also the fact that the world is beautiful, the characters are memorable, and Mari Okada is great at conveying longing. I recently rewatched the first few episodes for the first time in 10 years and it's just as good as I remembered.

Talking about ridiculous, Kill la Kill is just so good. At first I kept watching it because of the comedy and how it reveled in its over-the-top visuals and fanservice, but I was surprised by how attached I became to the characters by the end.

I remember watching Golden Time and not having strong opinions about it, but that's maybe because I was still too young to appreciate the refreshing rarity that is a romance anime that doesn't take place in high school. Might rewatch it later down the line, but if an anime has Potato-kun as its main character, chances are I'm not gonna be a big fan.

Kyoukai no Kanata was probably my first big anime disappointment. Everything about it was just so underwhelming, but at least it gaves us this.

Quote:
Therefore, the downbeat shock ending we received is what Urobuchi scrambled to concoct from the wreckage of his original premise. That he managed to produce such a psychologically scarring ending that remains thematically appropriate and true to the characters is nothing short of remarkable. I salute him as a writer for this single act of narrative acrobatics alone. Now with 2024's upcoming Madoka Magia: Walpurgis Rising, we'll finally see if this gamble paid off…

Agreed. As unnecessary as it was, I loved Rebellion. Still, its story and message remain incomplete. We'll have to wait and see what the next movie has to say. Ideally, I'd like it to be the last installment, but corporate greed likely has other plans...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:04 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I watched Kyousougiga when it aired, but I remember nothing about it other than loving it. Guess that's a rewatch.

I missed Golden Time when it aired, and tried to watch it a few years ago, but got bored, though I couldn't quite say why. Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime..

EDIT: Thought Rebellion was very well done, but also felt very unnecessary. Left it feeling.. exhausted? Did not revive my original love for the series. I think the long gap between it and the last time I'd seen the earlier works in the franchise didn't help.

EDIT2: KLK I thought was fun (though I remember wishing the characters weren't mostly high-school age), but also the beginning of Imaishi/Nakashima works kind of declining in impact for me. I was blown away by GL, mostly entertained but not enraptured by KLK, and by Promare found myself only half paying attention and thinking, "Yeah, this all seems decent but very familiar.."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3