• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Late Voice Actor Kenji Utsumi's Voice Replicated by AI for Sony Audiobook App

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Dernu wrote:
I don't know what drives them to put Synthesis Images or AI all the time just to give themselves a genre. Besides making the thing look weird, it's ugly! Look at the second part of Berserk in anime?

While there are definitely a lot of problems with AI-generated content, the 2016/2017 Berserk anime, assuming that's what you're referring to, isn't relevant. That's all pure human-made ugliness.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Dernu wrote:
I don't know what drives them to put Synthesis Images or AI all the time just to give themselves a genre. Besides making the thing look weird, it's ugly! Look at the second part of Berserk in anime?

While there are definitely a lot of problems with AI-generated content, the 2016/2017 Berserk anime, assuming that's what you're referring to, isn't relevant. That's all pure human-made ugliness.

Looks can be deceiving. If the Handshakers anime was made now, how many would have said they'd used a hallucinating AI in the making as their first guess? Smile
Dernu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:26 am Reply with quote
Dernu wrote:
That's all pure human-made ugliness.

Do we agree? Here we go. And the worst thing is that most people talk about this second part in the same way, and I still don't understand why the graphics team had this idea.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
If the family approves of it then I don't see nothing wrong with it, I also doubt he would object, he worked for years as VA, something he loved, and now even in death his voice can still perform, his legacy will continue, people are so quick to demonize AI, while I do understand when its done the wrong way, but if everything's done the right way, then AI can prove to be a great tool.
Dernu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:
If the family approves of it then I don't see nothing wrong with it, I also doubt he would object, he worked for years as VA, something he loved, and now even in death his voice can still perform, his legacy will continue, people are so quick to demonize AI, while I do understand when its done the wrong way, but if everything's done the right way, then AI can prove to be a great tool.

I partly agree with you. It is true that AI is a huge progress in terms of production (and this, in all fields, including anime). But, I find that these tools, as great as they are, still lack development and vivacity to compare them to human production. Here I take the example of the voices that have been recorded, I find that it is not up to the level of the originals, although there has been a real progress for several years. I think that AI will be operational in a few years, or even 5 years to really talk about AI in this sphere. Any opinion on this?
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm wholly unconvinced that this voice actor, (not familiar with his work) would consent to posthumously being used to train AI TTS to read audiobooks. Unless he was constantly going on about how "he can't wait to be immortalised by deeplearning algorithms for profit" it's a bit of a reach to say he would have agreed to this. Consenting to using your voice like this is just not a rational decision for a voice actor, unless of course, you don't own the voice in question and get a quick buck
Dernu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I'm wholly unconvinced that this voice actor, (not familiar with his work) would consent to posthumously being used to train AI TTS to read audiobooks. Unless he was constantly going on about how "he can't wait to be immortalised by deeplearning algorithms for profit" it's a bit of a reach to say he would have agreed to this. Consenting to using your voice like this is just not a rational decision for a voice actor, unless of course, you don't own the voice in question and get a quick buck

We can only talk about Copyright in this case, I am of the same opinion as you. Afterwards, there are surely people who will agree that it's beneficial for the community that wants unique audios that can't be reproduced... So, it's still debatable in both cases
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2