• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series Launches on PS4, Switch in Spring 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Let me get this straight 75$ for "pixel remasters" of Final Fantasy 1-6? Also given these are "remasters" of the original games only, there will be no extra content/bosses/dungeons found in the wonder swan/ps1/gba/psp versions as well?

May I can kindly ask a single single question? WHO THE HELL A SQUARE-ENIX THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!

I honestly don't understand where this rage comes from. What is wrong with $75 for six games? I'd agree that's a little pricey if we're just talking about emulated games, but these are new versions with completely rescored soundtracks and mostly new artwork. If seeing the number "75" is a shock, you can also buy I & II for $12 each and III through VI for $18, which I feel like is still a fair price for each of them, but comes up to a fair amount more than buying them all as a bundle. It's easily >150 hours of content if you'd rather think of it that way.

And I know it's a matter of opinion, but the extra content in the GBA versions was largely just a bunch of grindy, recycled assets that didn't add anything interesting to the games. Being able to rearrange your party at the end of IV was kind of neat, but otherwise I can't say I miss any of it.
Wyatt Creed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
I guess Square has zero faith in their flagship title these days if they're making it a limited run. Either that or they're purposely shortprinting it to cash in on FOMO.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Square doesn't care about the xbox line of consoles at all. There is no physical versions of Nier Automata or Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 or Octopath Traveler on the system either, they're digital only. Honestly I'm amazed that Dragon Quest 11 got a physical release here.

There's no physical version of NieR Automata on Xbox? That's sounds weird considering the recent Switch port. I guess that despite the good sales of the Xbox Series lately, Japanese games (particularly RPGs) are still having trouble selling on the console. I assume SE prefers to release their smaller games on the Switch rather than the Xbox because they feel that many have the Switch as a companion console and Sony and Microsoft don't see it as a direct competitor, although I know people who only have a Switch as a primary console.
Speaking of DQ on the Xbox, Enix has been trying to increase its popularity in the west and I guess that includes making it available on all consoles, which is odd because some DQ games were distributed directly by Nintendo since SE didn't bother translating them themselves. On the other hand, it seems that Sony wants to strengthen the association between Final Fantasy and the PlayStation brand. That's why FVIIR and FFXVI are PS exclusives, at least temporarily.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
Wyatt Creed wrote:
I guess Square has zero faith in their flagship title these days if they're making it a limited run. Either that or they're purposely shortprinting it to cash in on FOMO.

Your logic is...I would say flawed, but there's really no logic here? These are remastered editions of 18+ year old games which were released digitally first and are primarily intended to be experienced as digital games. They're basically a step up from a Virtual Console release. The fact that they're releasing a physical edition at all shows that they have faith in the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
the second part is pretty much explained in the 1st. ff 13 ending is FINE , what was the point of adding two sequels that involved time travel and a human becoming a valkyrie....

Because someone involved wanted to expand 13’s lore beyond its base game and as we all know what became 15 was originally supposed to be apart of those set of games. Needless to say it turned out by most accounts to be a bad idea.

Siegfriedl88 wrote:

and with 15 you had to buy dlc to see the full story, it was such a horrible base game that all i remember about it was riding around in a car and somehow he also time travels ....

Guess this isn’t a good time to mention that there was more DLC planned for 15 including one that would’ve potentially tweaked the original ending but that got cancelled like a one season show on Netflix
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:53 pm Reply with quote
For those unaware, all versions are sold out already. First all of the standard editions for the Switch sold out (~30 minutes), then the standard for the PS4 sold out (~3 hours). Then, both of the special editions (you know, the $249.99 versions with all the neat stuff) in less than 24 hours.

I'm just hoping we either get a standard edition restock or a digital release. Also a shame XBox got left out.

As for them not having all the extra content, these are supposed to be the "originals" in all their glory, but have tweaks to speed up the game and a map for treasure finding. This means no extra content or quality of life updates from any ports (FC, MSX2, WSC, PS, GBA, PSP, Mobile, Ouya, NDS, iOS, Android or previous Steam versions).

Also, their typeset for these games are garbage. I think they should have changed them to Chronotype (font used in Chrono Trigger, and very similar to that of Final Fantasy VI's font) instead.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

I'm just hoping we either get a standard edition restock or a digital release. Also a shame XBox got left out.

They are all being released digitally, the same as the Steam versions. However, unlike the Steam versions, you can't easily change the shit font.
Wyatt Creed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:35 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Your logic is...I would say flawed, but there's really no logic here? These are remastered editions of 18+ year old games which were released digitally first and are primarily intended to be experienced as digital games. They're basically a step up from a Virtual Console release. The fact that they're releasing a physical edition at all shows that they have faith in the series.

If they had actual faith it'd be a regular release that you can just go into a store and buy on the shelf without limited run hoops to jump through. You only give things limited runs if you think there's not a big audience for them. And for some of the most iconic and popular games of all time that's sad. They'll give Forspoken a regular release but not the games people actually like.
Even Capcom's half-on disk/half download method for classic Mega Man games you can still buy and would be preferable to something that sold out in minutes and is gone for good. If they said they did this to capitalize on FOMO like Nintendo did with their Mario games I'd respect them more. But if they genuinely thought no one would care about these games then that says a lot about where their priorities lie.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Wyatt Creed wrote:
If they had actual faith it'd be a regular release that you can just go into a store and buy on the shelf without limited run hoops to jump through. You only give things limited runs if you think there's not a big audience for them. And for some of the most iconic and popular games of all time that's sad. They'll give Forspoken a regular release but not the games people actually like.

My dude, there *isn't* that big of a market for two decade old games that have already been re-released on nearly every console since the Playstation and have already been available on PC for a year now. The fact that they're doing a physical release at all means they're confident that it's going to sell out - which it has. They don't want to be printing this in perpetuity because the physical market is an additional cost with no reward. That's also the reason they stopped doing physical editions of Final Fantasy XIV - their current money maker and only sell the Collector's Edition bonuses separately now. And that's not to mention that making this a limited run and then having it be digital-exclusive afterwards means that Gamestop has a limited supply of used copies, which is another thing every game developer wants.

Also, as far as hoops to jump through, going to the store *is* the hoop to jump through for most people. It's much more convenient to just log onto your console, see it in the new releases where it's almost definitely going to be promoted by Sony / Nintendo, and then download it from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2