• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chainsaw Man's Power Gets Figure With That Pose

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Soooooo, canonically, the toilet she's sitting on is currently clogged with her poop. Just saying.

One wonders just how much attention to detail the artist paid...
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:13 pm Reply with quote
C'mon now... It's just a sexy funny figure. There have recently been a bunch of chair-seated barefoot casual clothed figures that are popular alongside sitting noodle stoppers. This basically also parodies those. It's genius on multiple levels really!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised they made a figure out of this.

I'm curious if they might do some more with the Power cosplays from the ED theme.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:05 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I know there's a lot of jokes and memes going around at the moment about the CSM fanbase failing to grasp the ridiculously unsubtle themes of the manga, but wow, what better way to tell people you completely misunderstood the point of that scene than with a horny figurine.

I guess we should expect the 'bath' version in a few months' time
Or it's a figure from an iconic scene, and carries the same theme.

Besides if you want to talk about CSM fanbase missing the point you should be targetting Makima simps.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:18 am Reply with quote
What was so deep about the toilet scene lol?
Kenfra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:13 am Reply with quote
Selling out in 3..2..

Last edited by Kenfra on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenfra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:16 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Guile wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
I know there's a lot of jokes and memes going around at the moment about the CSM fanbase failing to grasp the ridiculously unsubtle themes of the manga, but wow, what better way to tell people you completely misunderstood the point of that scene than with a horny figurine.

And what exactly was the 'point' of that scene?

spoiler[That attempting to sexualize someone you have no rooted connection to based on purely on physical wants rather than genuine attraction or understanding is ultimately a hollow experience that leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled. I mean a character in the following chapter basically spells that out for Denji (again, CSM isn’t big on subtlety).

Something I genuinely appreciate is that CSM used that scene to subvert audience expectations, only to slowly establish Denji & Power as one of the few truly great platonic m/f friendships to come out of a shounen title, to the extent that when a similarly intimate scene between the two occurs later on, it’s almost absurd to Denji that he would consider her in such a light. It makes a deliberate contrast between the two scenes to show how far Denji has come. I love Fujimoto for doing that.

I mean ultimately a lot of people really like Power, so buy what you like I guess. It’s just morbidly funny & more than a little tone-deaf to me that people would take a scene that was meant to gently admonish Denji for relying on primal urges over establishing genuine intimate connections, and come away with “Hell yeah! Power’s grabbing her tits like a boss!” Never underestimate the power of memetics I guess.

Then again, I am a huge Eva fan, & given how End Of had Asuka screaming about the otaku audience (framed through Shinji) for simultaneously objectifying the women of the cast while also trying to use them as an emotional crutch - only for that franchise to sell more merch than even God could keep up with, I don’t know why I’m surprised at anything anymore. Author intent holds little sway in the face of business.]

Futsuu ni kiite Kure was made for folks like you.
That, and Anno was a huge otaku himself.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Guile wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

spoiler[That attempting to sexualize someone you have no rooted connection to based on purely on physical wants rather than genuine attraction or understanding is ultimately a hollow experience that leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled. I mean a character in the following chapter basically spells that out for Denji (again, CSM isn’t big on subtlety).

Something I genuinely appreciate is that CSM used that scene to subvert audience expectations, only to slowly establish Denji & Power as one of the few truly great platonic m/f friendships to come out of a shounen title, to the extent that when a similarly intimate scene between the two occurs later on, it’s almost absurd to Denji that he would consider her in such a light. It makes a deliberate contrast between the two scenes to show how far Denji has come. I love Fujimoto for doing that.

I mean ultimately a lot of people really like Power, so buy what you like I guess. It’s just morbidly funny & more than a little tone-deaf to me that people would take a scene that was meant to gently admonish Denji for relying on primal urges over establishing genuine intimate connections, and come away with “Hell yeah! Power’s grabbing her tits like a boss!” Never underestimate the power of memetics I guess.

Then again, I am a huge Eva fan, & given how End Of had Asuka screaming about the otaku audience (framed through Shinji) for simultaneously objectifying the women of the cast while also trying to use them as an emotional crutch - only for that franchise to sell more merch than even God could keep up with, I don’t know why I’m surprised at anything anymore. Author intent holds little sway in the face of business.]

What makes you think people wouldn't be buying the figure, at least in part, because they understand and appreciate this type of analysis? Also, arousal and sexual attraction / sexuality / sexy fanservice content isn't inherently bad or a "lesser" / less valid response- it doesn't take away from people's love or understanding of a franchise. Regarding Eva, the sexualization of Asuka is a part of the narrative / themes ... and people wouldn't still be buying Asuka figures and merch if people didn't love the franchise for its deeper meanings.

CSM seems to be walking a similar line - Power is absolutely a manic pixie dream girl ... er, manic pixie trashcan ... that you're meant to be both disgusted and aroused / intrigued by. This scene is funny and poignant, but can also be (and is likely meant to be) a little bit titillating. It's amazing that they've actually made a ridiculous figure of it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Post moved. Please talk about the topic, rather than make comments about other posters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
"you can grab it from the Shibuya Scramble Figure online store for 29,920 yen (about US$202)."

That's a very specific price
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
Thank goodness Fujimoto wasn't trying say anything with this story.

Actually, the message of CSM is so simple it's almost funny.

Git gud so you can touch booba? Lol
Megumi Chisato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Guile wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

Hm... Anime-only watcher here, and I got none of that from Episode 4. Maybe they'll show that in the aftermath in Episode 5, but it's been displayed as a triumphant moment for Denji.
ronri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:24 am Reply with quote
I've read the manga, understood and love its multi-layered story, and yet I see no problem with this figure. It's all in good fun, and it most definitely illustrates Power's quirky personality in statue form based on, in a lot of ways, a very pivotal scene in the early chapters of the series. Deriding the figure's existence just seems so misguided when it still fits perfectly in line with the manga's sexually charged tone and humor. The manga can have all these subtle themes and ideas while still relishing in its absurd humor, fanservice and cool moments, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Philville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

Then again, I am a huge Eva fan, & given how End Of had Asuka screaming about the otaku audience (framed through Shinji) for simultaneously objectifying the women of the cast while also trying to use them as an emotional crutch - only for that franchise to sell more merch than even God could keep up with, I don’t know why I’m surprised at anything anymore. Author intent holds little sway in the face of business.[/spoiler]

I agree with what you are saying about the absurdity of certain marketing practices and consumers sometimes being "tone-deaf" to authorial intention -- you could argue something similar about the Made in Abyss Faputa butt-flavored fragrance that was recently announced (if Tsukushi's fetishistic tendencies weren't so blatant) -- but frankly there wouldn't be a fanservice or otaku culture to begin with if it weren't for that kind of commodification. I'm not endorsing the "objectification" of women, just pointing out that it isn't all that surprising to me at this point (although it did, at the time, also strike me as ironic with Eva merchandising).

fathomlessblue wrote:
I know there's a lot of jokes and memes going around at the moment about the CSM fanbase failing to grasp the ridiculously unsubtle themes of the manga, but wow, what better way to tell people you completely misunderstood the point of that scene than with a horny figurine....

It's not really about "understanding" the scene; it's about money and marketability. To a certain extent, it's the same fundamental irony as that of people in so-called "Communist" countries profiting from the sale of Che Guevara merchandise (which is an example Marxists often invoke when discussing how "Capitalist" ideology subsumes subversiveness). Coming back to anime, whether we're talking moe, tsundere or waifu, if a female character is attractive or endearing enough, someone will make a figure of her in a suggestive pose, and I've rarely heard creators voice their objection to this. I'm not sure how this is any different (though I get why you would find it ironic).

ronri wrote:
I've read the manga, understood and love its multi-layered story, and yet I see no problem with this figure. It's all in good fun, and it most definitely illustrates Power's quirky personality in statue form based on, in a lot of ways, a very pivotal scene in the early chapters of the series.

There's that too. One could just as well see it as a literal recreation of an iconic scene or as a celebration of her quirkiness. I think part of the appeal with this sort of thing is the lack of context (someone who doesn't know Chainsaw Man will be wondering why there's a woman fondling her own breast on the crapper) so that this type of figure can be seen as being "for the fans" (which is, once again, just marketing, since the same applies to any anime figure).

Jay_Stone wrote:
What was so deep about the toilet scene lol?

...it was some deep sh*t (literally and metaphorically). Don't make light of plumbing crises, friend. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2