• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Films Bring Back Original Sailor Moon Character Designer Kazuko Tadano

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

It's also really frustrating that there's plenty of imperfect things with Classic in terms of a majority male creative team and their handling of these young, female characters. But everyone just props them up so much.
It's also a double standard to bash Naoko for having a fairly minor incest subplot in the Sailor Moon manga while praising Ikuhara's career while Ikuhara has made incest a prominent theme in several of his anime.
garet.r

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised no one feels as insulted of this as me. No, I am not talking about the choice, although if they could have done it from the start a lot of drama would have been avoided. What insults me as a fan and supporter of Crystal is the fact that after two years since they announced Dream Arc adaptation all they have done is choosing character designer. They didn't show the actual designs, which most likely mean even they are not ready yet. The delay of the first Crystal season is nothing in comparison to it. I assume on next Usagi birthday they will simply announce the VA for the new characters, let us hanging, while releasing overpriced merchandise.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
A movie takes more time to make than a TV show does and we had to wait two years for seson one. Attack On Titan was four years before we got season two made. As long there's no more delay and we get it by next year, I can deal with waiting a little more and we still have new Seramyu coming out.
garet.r

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
A movie takes more time to make than a TV show does and we had to wait two years for seson one. Attack On Titan was four years before we got season two made. As long there's no more delay and we get it by next year, I can deal with waiting a little more and we still have new Seramyu coming out.

I doubt t will be out next year. Yes, movie takes longer to produce, not to choose character designs for it after you already have what to base them on. In this two years they have done nothing animation-wise. I doubt the scripts are ready either as they haven't announced who is doing them and the fact the movie still has no official name suggest the project is in initial stage of production. Movie takes longer to make and for two years they didn't do a thing so who knows when they will actually start working on it.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's also a double standard to bash Naoko for having a fairly minor incest subplot in the Sailor Moon manga while praising Ikuhara's career while Ikuhara has made incest a prominent theme in several of his anime.

Excellent point. And I feel the point about it with Chibiusa is that it was unhealthy and she outgrew it (and found her own identity, and even the incest was about wanting to be like her mom; not literally being in love with her father). Naoko went out of her way to show us that the incest wasn't okay. (It was just s unhealthy as Demande and his nature was.)

Ikuhara. . . does not always do that, imo. Not very well, anyway.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
You mean Shintani with the new movie? That's completely different from this since in that case, Yamamuro is busy with the Dragon Ball Heroes ONA and he can stay there for all I care because Resurrection F had so many problems under him that bringing him back in the same roles for this new film would have killed a lot of it's hype.
No, I meant actual Super series episodes that he directed.

I checked, and his name is Yuya Takahashi, and according to ANN he didn't actually work on any Dragon Ball anime prior Dragon Ball Z: Kami to Kami, but still focuses more on 90s like designs.

Up is how Goku looked in one of earlier Super episodes, and down Takahashi's approach to the same form.
While I am in general satisfied over how anime style evolves over the years, this is the example of how classic designs can look great in era of today.

Still, even with Tadano, I doubt new SM movies will look like early 90s anime, unless she intentionally wants it - artists improve and change their style over the years, and a lot of years had passed since then.

How Tadano's Usagi and Chibiusa looked when she drew them in 2009.

Last edited by Psajdak on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

Excellent point. And I feel the point about it with Chibiusa is that it was unhealthy and she outgrew it (and found her own identity, and even the incest was about wanting to be like her mom; not literally being in love with her father). Naoko went out of her way to show us that the incest wasn't okay. (It was just s unhealthy as Demande and his nature was.)

As someone who enjoys all the versions of Sailor Moon pretty equally, it doesn't really matter to me which version of the franchise fans prefer and I often disagree with a lot of arguments from hardcore manga purists too. I just take issue with arguing a man should get more credit than the woman who actually created the characters and the story and I don't feel comfortable with this recent anti-Naoko trend that seems to have increased a lot in fandom lately for some reason. Like I can understand not being satisfied with Crystal, but that's no justification to engage in personal insults and attacks on Naoko or demonize her as some evil person. And I also take issue with fans who try to act like they're morally superior because of what version of the franchise is their favorite when really no one cares which version they like best.
garet.r

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
manapear wrote:

As someone who enjoys all the versions of Sailor Moon pretty equally, it doesn't really matter to me which version of the franchise fans prefer and I often disagree with a lot of arguments from hardcore manga purists too. I just take issue with arguing a man should get more credit than the woman who actually created the characters and the story and I don't feel comfortable with this recent anti-Naoko trend that seems to have increased a lot in fandom lately for some reason. Like I can understand not being satisfied with Crystal, but that's no justification to engage in personal insults and attacks on Naoko or demonize her as some evil person. And I also take issue with fans who try to act like they're morally superior because of what version of the franchise is their favorite when really no one cares which version they like best.

Completely agree. Everyone has personal taste - I loved the first crystal designs by Ykie Sako, but I never bashed on Takahashi's designs. They are just different. Nobody cares if I prefer the one or the other and it is funny when someone is trying to make themselves noble and deep, because they like the version of the story that is more ''mature'', ''complex'' or "developed". We had it one way - the old show, now we have it the other way - Crystal. I even started to appreciate the trend to change styles from season to season. All that I am disappointed of is the fact we have been waiting so long and it turns out they still haven't even started working on it. Otherwise I love every version of the story, even the PGSM.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
About Takeuchi...

While I appreciate her for actually creating now legendary characters and universe, without anime, I would never care for Sailor Moon at all.

It's not just story changes, it's general feel, music, performance by greats like Kotono Mitsuishi, Aya Hisakawa, Keiko Han, Toru Furuya, etc., even character development through those anime original episodes.

I guess it's similar to how I far more like anime version of Team Rocket, than any part of Pokemon games, even though games are original source.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The sex of the staff has no baring on quality, and being upset that men work on a magical girl show just seems sexist. The fact is the anime was a timeless classic and helped shaped a genre. The manga was most notable for being the source material of said timeless anime. It should be no surprise that after the horrible reception Crystal received during it's first two seasons, they would change it and actually start appealing to the fans. I would certainly appreciate designs by Tadano over Crystal's old ones.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Literally no one is upset at the men of the 90s anime for being men. What I'm critical of is this double standards that bash Naoko while excusing the men who worked on the anime for the same exact "flaws" they attack Naoko for.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
No, I meant actual Super series episodes that he directed.

I checked, and his name is Yuya Takahashi, and according to ANN he didn't actually work on any Dragon Ball anime prior Dragon Ball Z: Kami to Kami, but still focuses more on 90s like designs.

Up is how Goku looked in one of earlier Super episodes, and down Takahashi's approach to the same form.
While I am in general satisfied over how anime style evolves over the years, this is the example of how classic designs can look great in era of today.

Ah ok, when you said Character Designer, I thought it was Shintani.

Yeah, Yuya Takahashi's good and even before he moved to Animation Director for some of the last episodes (the real good-looking ones), he was doing cuts close to as good as Naotoshi Shida is known to do.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=yuya_takahashi

Looking forward to seeing what he, Shida and everybody else does for this movie, especially with Yamamuro not involved to screw things up again.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I can't say I enjoy all versions equally anymore, but I do think everyone should be allowed to enjoy the version they like without a lot of the bashing that comes with it. And yeah, the Naoko bashing is weird. I can imagine it stems from a couple of things, but who really knows.

As a Myu fan, I'm definitely used to that. . . it kinda sucks/hurts how SeraMyu is neglected overall in the West, but that's not as bad as the way PGSM was attacked. It would be nice if people watching magical girls could be less cruel in their fandoms, but even these shows draw very entitled and aggressive people.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
So no more precure moon like we got in SMC season 3? Thank you God

Zeino wrote:
On the other... well it's still not going in any way to improve the writing of Takeuchi's rough draft of a manga that they are straight up adapting.

Wow. We're at full blown Naoko's work is absolute trash mode, huh? Disliking Crystal is one thing, I've long made peace with that, but this is just flat out disrespectful.
Cynicat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
So this means we won't see a season 4? Will these movies finish off Crystal?

I haven't read the manga, but I was expecting there to be two more seasons of Crystal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3