• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Power Rangers' Original Blue, Black Rangers Aren't Impressed by Reboot Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dontey Griffith wrote:

Time Force was basically the Japanese version, almost note for note. I disagree with the watered down, RPM and Lost Galaxy are better than their Sentai counterpart. But nowadays Power Rangers have really lost it way.

I loved Power Rangers growing up but lost interest as I got older. Loving anime, I gave Gokaiger a chance and oh man... Oh man... That series was great. So you'd think that Power Rangers would make a great adaptation, right? Oh man... Oh man... What is up with each season being split in half nowadays? And skipping ToQger?

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I think saying they weren't impressed with the reboot is a bit misleading from the headilne for this article. I tracked down the original full interview and while they did have some sharp criticism for the reboot, they did have a lot of praise for the film, especially for the casting and diversity of the characters. The original article is a bit more fair and balanced than what ANN quoted which makes it seem like they completely hated the whole movie. http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/04/24/former-power-rangers-critical-of-recent-film/

Quote:
It was not a panel dedicated to being negative, the two did have positives to add.

“I thought the characters were great, I thought the energy and the cast were awesome, RJ Cyler killed it,” Jones said.

The changes made to Billy Cranston also made Yost really happy.

“I was like totally over the moon about RJ and I think he really hit it out of the park” Yost said. “I really loved what he did with the character.”

Yost especially appreciated that they put Cranston on the autism spectrum.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
What is up with each season being split in half nowadays? And skipping ToQger?

All the better to milk your franchise with, my dear. Also budget.

Gobusters, ToQger, and Jyuohger were/will be skipped because some Bandai toy exec said they couldn't get the toys to work with their 'zordbuilder' brand of toys which they decided to push hard over the last decade. Anything more complicated than mecha where the limbs are swapable will be skipped over in all future PR adaptions.

Megaforce is a sorespot with PR alumini because rather than honor the PR history, they just did their own thing, like make up halfarsed excuses why pre-Zyu costumes exist. I've seen PR fans say they should have removed and reshot pre-Zyu scenes so it fits with 'established PR lore' rather than just handwave it away as 'who cares, its a dumb kids show"
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I've also heard they skip over seasons because the costumes get damaged from wear and tear too much over time to be usable when they finally get around to adapting the original.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote

I loved Power Rangers growing up but lost interest as I got older. Loving anime, I gave Gokaiger a chance and oh man... Oh man... That series was great. So you'd think that Power Rangers would make a great adaptation, right? Oh man... Oh man... What is up with each season being split in half nowadays? And skipping ToQger?
the newer seasons are being split in half because of the channel they're on right now Nickelodeon, they have a 20 episode per season rule for their shows, this also goes to Sentais getting skipped, the toy line is a big part of it but the 2 years for one series doesn't help when back in the day Saban/Disney didn't have a choice but to abapt the previous year's Sentai

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It may be Hollywood accounting to blame, but from what I've looked on the International Movie Database, if we take the concept of marketing/distribution to be about equal to production costs of the movie, most movies from Hollywood in the 21st century don't actually turn a profit. Instead, the major studios rely on the few gigantic hits of the year to cover for the losses most of their other movies produce. It's the most obvious with Warner Bros., with them relying on the Harry Potter movies and Tolkien movies (and now the Lego movies, and to a lesser extent the DC movies) as their annual tentpoles.

Right, this problem has especially grown in the last decade as we've seen the highest grossing movies list get dominated by franchise films. Power Rangers was meant to be a tentpole for Lionsgate. Multiple people involved have said they planned for at least six movies. Laughing

To put Power Rangers' performance in perspective, Lionsgate cancelled the final Divergent film right before it would've begun production due to the third film underperforming. It cost $110 million to make and grossed $179 million WW. Power Rangers cost $100 million to make and has grossed $130 million WW ... China and Japan should put it over that last Divergent movie, but unless it's a big hit, probably not by much.

What is up with each season being split in half nowadays?

This is a Nickelodeon thing. They're deathly afraid of just running premieres front to back. They like to sprinkle in a bunch of re-runs, which leads to one series being spread over 2 years.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The new Red is a terrible person with no leadership characteristics.
The new Pink is a teriible cyberbully who never gets punished for her actions and even seems like we're supposed to like her.
The new Blue is autistic because they had to have a disabled person in the cast.
The new Black is poor because they had to have a poor person in the cast.
The new Yellow is a lesbian because they had to have a LBTG person in the cast.

They are all terrible people with some sort of sob story and no ounce of heriosm.

Who was this movie made for?

So because they are either autistic, poor, lesbian, or whatever else they are horrible people? I think you should explain why they are all terrible.
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
In all seriousness, I am happy with having a ranger on the spectrum. I have Aspergers and have my own apartment, job etc. Sure, Modern Billy follows some patterns of the spectrum I am not under, but knowing that David Yost supports people like me, is wonderful.
Autism isn't all bad (knowing from personal experience). Just look at Jeff Pickles (a competitive gamer), Satoshi Tajiri, Temple Grandin, George Lucas and Alfred Hitchcock. All have been successful in their own way, in the nerd world.
Modern Billy reminds me of myself in some ways, but that made me root for him.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
why didn't Zack do Hip Hop Kido in the film?.....wait a minute is it because this version of Zack isn't black?

Well, you don't have to be black to like hip hop so that's a no-issue. It doesn't sound like they carried over many traits or personalities from the original series to the new movie in the first place though, so I'm not surprised the hip hop kido isn't present personally.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't say for sure if the Original Blue and Black Rangers are truly disheartened with the Power Rangers reboot (if anything, they might've even liked some parts of it), but if the overall lukewarm reception is anything to go by, the film's future seems to be hanging in the balance.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the movie was ok nothing to write home about but it a fun time but I have to agree I was not impressed with how they said "It's Morphin Time" in the film. Neutral
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the movie was technically good. There was never a moment I got bored watching it.

I do agree that it fails to fulfill expectations of PR fans though. I especially felt there was a lost chance to develop a line of toys and merchandise with the way they made the monsters and Megazord. I was kinda disappointed with how the movie ended without any flashy finishing moves.

I wasn't much of a fan of the original MMPR. But ever since Zeo came out, I started checking out the seasons from time to time. Haven't checked out the more recent series after it went back to Saban though.

I personally hope there'll be sequel. The movie after all was pretty fun.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I wasn't much of a fan of the original MMPR. But ever since Zeo came out, I started checking out the seasons from time to time. Haven't checked out the more recent series after it went back to Saban though.

You know, I keep misreading "Saban" as "Satan" for some reason.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The new Pink is a teriible cyberbully who never gets punished for her actions and even seems like we're supposed to like her.
The new Blue is autistic because they had to have a disabled person in the cast.

They are all terrible people with some sort of sob story and no ounce of heriosm.

Red defended Blue from bullies and was just a general nice guy who made one stupid mistake, something lots of teens can relate too.
Pink had her boyfriend cheat with one of the girls in her best friend group, or did you miss that part? Cause that's a very real situation that happens, and the movie handled it well, she did something wrong and she has to live with that, not "No what you did was right". A very adult message.
Blue was one of the best ways to show an autistic person and has more to his character with him missing his dad who passed away and the rangers are his new family.
Black has to take care of his mother and the film handles him well to with him saying "When she dies", not if, not maybe, when. From a kids film this is pretty big to acknowledge death like that.
And Yellow is about how her family puts labels on everyone and wants her to be normal, and she's scared of what her parents might think of her if she told them what she might truly be. I have a friend who has this same situation with her family so this felt all too real to me.

These new rangers are real teenagers unlike the cardboard cut out goody-two shoes of the original show. All 5 are also amazing actors and in interviews they all seem like great friends.
GMArcturus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Red defended Blue from bullies and was just a general nice guy who made one stupid mistake, something lots of teens can relate too.
Pink had her boyfriend cheat with one of the girls in her best friend group, or did you miss that part? Cause that's a very real situation that happens, and the movie handled it well, she did something wrong and she has to live with that, not "No what you did was right". A very adult message.
Blue was one of the best ways to show an autistic person and has more to his character with him missing his dad who passed away and the rangers are his new family.
Black has to take care of his mother and the film handles him well to with him saying "When she dies", not if, not maybe, when. From a kids film this is pretty big to acknowledge death like that.
And Yellow is about how her family puts labels on everyone and wants her to be normal, and she's scared of what her parents might think of her if she told them what she might truly be. I have a friend who has this same situation with her family so this felt all too real to me.

These new rangers are real teenagers unlike the cardboard cut out goody-two shoes of the original show. All 5 are also amazing actors and in interviews they all seem like great friends.

Then you didn't like the original show. We all know why they bothered to call this Power Rangers when they obviously just stole some of the ideas and did whatever the hell they wanted to with them. It got them a bit more money from those who were nostalgic. This movie wasn't Power Rangers (Mighty Morphin' or otherwise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3