• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Diabolik Lovers Vampire TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Well, if watching six a-holes terrify and degrade a harmless, timid female is your idea of a good time, then this show is for you.

As opposed to one [presumably male] a-hole degrade six females??? Confused (Nice avatar BTW - not "degrading" in the least! Rolling Eyes ) *groan*

Why would you assume this show would be any less shitty if the roles were reversed? I certainly don't. I've watched two and a half episodes of this turd and there is literally nothing else to it other than the "fun" of watching a female being physically harmed and terrified and mocked. Do you deny this? Or are you one of those people who tries to deflect the issue by commenting on avatars?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, really...?

The animation and designs are nice and there's tons of ear candy, but the characters are all not-so-nice-people. I especially can't stand Hirakawa's character who calls the main girl B**** chan all the time. Sadness because I keep thinking of Rei saying it. x__x

Watching it mainly for the seiyuu, but yeah, this isn't a series I would be eager to own.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
As expected there's going to be a lot of talk shit when this gets picked up..
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
You know I've watched a decent amount of reverse harems in my day but this one just rubbed my skin the wrong way on so many levels. Even as a male i found it extremely offensive. All the sexist and insulting remarks are really irritating. And the series pretty much goes in the fashion where each guy gets a chance to dominate this poor girl.

The story is just BARELY there and hardly any of it progresses through each episode because it's overshadowed by all these vampires being incredible dickheads.

I mean honestly i'm not trying to judge peoples fetishes but are there girls out there who REALLY like to be treated this way? Honestly i'm surprised I've made it to episode 3. I'm mostly waiting for someone to step in and kill these azzholes already.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, if watching six a-holes terrify and degrade a harmless, timid female is your idea of a good time, then this show is for you.

Evil people are part of life. If shows didn't have evil people, then there wouldn't be any drama. One can hope there will be a payoff at the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Based on what I've seen, the payoff is supposed to be for the intended female audience to groove on projecting themselves into the lead character's place. Oooooo, being abused by six bishonen - delightful! I honestly don't believe the show is designed to appeal to those who fantasize about being abusers - it's designed to appeal to those who fantasize about being abused in a certain way.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yui Komori is a positive-thinking girl who nevertheless is troubled by seeing spirits and experiencing poltergeist phenomena.

This anime would be so much better if this sentence ended with "so she carries a crossbow and chip on her shoulder to deal with any of them that get in her way." Sadly, we get a girl who doesn't mind being called B*tch-chan.

Of all the things to license, why this? There are so many more fun shoujo anime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
My payoff would be her wielding a wooden stake machine gun with a maniacal gleam in her eyes and her mad laughter bouncing off the walls as she lays waste to all the evil vampires.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Duplicate, delete please.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Weird, some kind of delayed duplication.

Delete please.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I haven't seen past the first episode. How dark dark does it get?

I've played the game and depending on how the anime goes it can get pretty dark Smile

TarsTarkas wrote:
Lot of negativity about this show, without substantive explanations. Sort of makes it a must see.

Some people are calling it sexist or something which I don't really get, it's aimed at girls not guys.

sakuragtin wrote:
Why? I know the logic behind it is something like "Well we get reverse harem shows to satisfy girl fans" or some other BS but seriously, why this show? There were other (good, most definitely made with the female fan in mind *cough cough* Free! *cough wheeze* Makai Ouji! Sorry, titles stuck in my throat) shows ignored this summer season that need licensing so why this one right out the fall season starting gate?

I like to think the success of other vampire shoujo/josei titles factored into it like Vampire Knight and hey you could even cite Twilight if you want Laughing
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I mean honestly i'm not trying to judge peoples fetishes but are there girls out there who REALLY like to be treated this way?

Don't confuse what some like to fantasize about with what they actually want. People--including myself--fantasize about all sorts of stuff that they'd be horrified if it were true in real life, you know? I doubt the vast majority of people who played GTAV really would want that fantasy to be reality, right?. I'd assume the same goes for an anime like DL.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa~ LaughingLaughingLaughing

Well, that aside, I can't say I'm particularly surprised. I, uh, hope it does well for Sentai? I guess?

...Nope, still laughing. Laughing
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Don't confuse what some like to fantasize about with what they actually want. People--including myself--fantasize about all sorts of stuff that they'd be horrified if it were true in real life, you know? I doubt the vast majority of people who played GTAV really would want that fantasy to be reality, right?. I'd assume the same goes for an anime like DL.

Yes, thank you. These shows are fantasy and can let people indulge in things they can't or won't do in real life. Smile I don't assume guys who like rape hentai are actually rapists so don't assume girls who like 'girl falls in love with her captor' shows mean you can kidnap and rape girls.. it's all fantasy and playing out kinks.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well... I'm glad it got picked up and will be buying it. I'm curious about how much it'll cost though since the episodes are 15 minutes each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4