• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon X/Y Games' Promo Previews More Mega Evolutions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This game is gonna be AMAZING.

i wouldn't get too excited if i was you.

this franchise along with castlevania never did well when they went to 3D and i got burned too many times to count.

so , i recommend holding our horses before we get burned by another bad 3D game cause just like castlevania , the pokemon games are better off in 2D

The problem with Pokemon is that they never made a good enough game when it was on the home consoles. They focused not on what makes the pokemon games great.

The focus should be on capturing, trading, battling and exploring. And none of the 3d games do that.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Farfetch'd should get one (or at least a regular evolution). That poor little bird has been ignored for too long.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Farfetch'd should get one (or at least a regular evolution). That poor little bird has been ignored for too long.

Omegafetch'd.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
The problem with Pokemon is that they never made a good enough game when it was on the home consoles...

The focus should be on capturing, trading, battling and exploring. And none of the 3d games do that.

It seems that you've forgotten about Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon X.D.: Gale of Darkness. Both those titles feature all of the above.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok.. this seems like a jumping the shark moment for the franchise. No turnin back once they put something like this in the game. Not sure I like it Confused

enurtsol wrote:
I wonder if they could use the word "digi-volve" or that's trademarked........

In the original versions both Digimon and Pokemon use 'evolve'. Saban shoved the word Digi in front of everything in the edited American franchise to make it marketable for kiddies Laughing Nintendo also shoved the word Poke in front of everything in the American Pokemon franchise to make it marketable for kiddies but they left evolve as evolve funnily enough.. so no pokevolve or anything like Saban probably woulda done Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
animehermit wrote:
The problem with Pokemon is that they never made a good enough game when it was on the home consoles...

It seems that you've forgotten about Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon X.D.: Gale of Darkness. Both those titles feature all of the above.

If there was any real problem with those games (well, I've only played Colosseum, but am I safe to assume Pokemon XD worked the same way?), it was the limitation on what you could catch and how to catch it. No grinding, random battling, and it seemed like the Pokemon were just made to supplement the Ruby/Sapphire Pokedex...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
@Juno016

Ah, yes, those are the disadvantages that prevent those two titles from being truly enjoyable. Even worse, in Gale of Darkness, there's no way for the Trainers from Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald to take part in the Mt. Battle 100 challenge.

Anyhow, concerning the new discovery of Mega Evolutions...
I find them to be an awesome feature in Pokemon battles. Just by holding a MegaStone, certain Pokemon can have certain stats raised and/or receive a special Ability. Not to mention that their Mega forms are quite exquisite to look at. Smile

Edit: Alright, my 200th post!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Certainly an interesting evolution to the series. Must get Mega Mawile or Mega Absol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
I wonder if they could use the word "digi-volve" or that's trademarked........

In the original versions both Digimon and Pokemon use 'evolve'. Saban shoved the word Digi in front of everything in the edited American franchise to make it marketable for kiddies Laughing Nintendo also shoved the word Poke in front of everything in the American Pokemon franchise to make it marketable for kiddies but they left evolve as evolve funnily enough.. so no pokevolve or anything like Saban probably woulda done Laughing

Well, by itself a common word like "evolve" can't be trademarked, but "digi-volve" or "poke-volve" can be. Businesses look for exotic words they could trademark that only they can use, people immediately associate with their product, and make it stand apart from the rest.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Cool designs.
However, I wonder how the PKMN metagame maniacs will react to the temporary changes in Pokémon's abilities, stats and even type thanks to these "Mega evolutions"! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
now that you think about it it does feel like a sort of that their copying from digimon adventures. kinda ironic that their now copying ideas from that knock off series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2