• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hot Topic Sells Hatsune Miku T-Shirts, Playing Cards, More Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I have the Miku and Rin/Len T-shirts (coincidentally, I wore the Rin/Len shirt today), and I also have this keychain with Miku, Rin, and Len (all the same picture source as the shirts). I really with I had that Rin/Len wall scroll... or maybe I'd like to find someone to commission my own. I mean, I like Kei's art style in some fine-art ways, but not in the same kind of fine-art ways I would like to see on my wall.
Pokota3

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe some of this is "exclusive" US release, but considering I've seen all of this on sale at the anime conventions, and bought the wall scroll at one, I sort of doubt it.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
I do believe that weeaboo "culture" just jumped the shark. Confused Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yeah, the K-On rice from a few years back wasn't "weeaboo 'culture'" jumping over a wall of sharks. No, Hatsune Miku T-Shirts - that's where we draw the line.

I don't know, a lot of websites sell screened T's for $20. Sure, for a plain T-shirt, yeah it's a rip.

Hot Topic played some shitty music last time I stumbled into their store, but nothing to hate them over.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Hot Topic sells somewhat overpriced clothes to a certain clientele,

Kinda like Aniplex. Laughing

ANNs Citizen wrote:
But heed my words, Hollywood's death is eminent, as the web continues to produce entertainment, sometimes far exceeding that of Hollywood. Give it 10-20 years, and Hollywood is done.

Must be from the same locale as anime is dying. Laughing

(Meanwhile, The Avengers has already been a $260+ million worldwide hit a week before it even opens in N. America, and The Hunger Games saga keeps rolling along.)
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

(Meanwhile, The Avengers has already been a $260+ million worldwide hit a week before it even opens in N. America, and The Hunger Games saga keeps rolling along.)

None of which are from Hollywood's original think tank, which was his point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

None of which are from Hollywood's original think tank, which was his point.

But that's besides the point; Hollywood still makes a lot of money, albeit not at its peak currently. The golden age of Hollywood was long ago in the middle of last century; yet, it keeps chugging along decade after decade. It won't be dying a couple decades from now.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
I'm rather disappointed at some of the short-sighted comments in this thread. The anime industry can learn from this as it's an example of a mascot of a keyboard being sold to a demographic well outside its reach.

Balk, but these designs appeal to people, and it's rather foolish the industry only think within its own walls rather than try to market outside of it.

Of course, there's no way people are paying $75 for a t-shirt just because it has an anime character on it.

$20 is reasonable.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
My local anime shop has been selling these shirts for over a month.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Anyone surprised Hot Topic is trying to cash in? Hot Topic as a business aside the t-shirts themsevles...meh. Alright I suppose. And $20 is a decent price. You'd pay just as much for any non-sale decal t-shirt at a department store or boutique store.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Anyone surprised Hot Topic is trying to cash in?

Am I surprised that Hot Topic wants to make money? No, no I'm not - as that's typically the goal of most businesses.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Am I surprised that Hot Topic wants to make money? No, no I'm not - as that's typically the goal of most businesses.

Let me be more specific. Is anyone surprised Hot Topic is trying to jump on the bandwagon for anything from the anime industry that sells? The moment a show geared for kids under 16 gets popular if there are t-shirts or other merch for the show you can usually bet Hot Topic will try and get it to pander to that crowd.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Let me be more specific. Is anyone surprised Hot Topic is trying to jump on the bandwagon for anything from the anime industry that sells? The moment a show geared for kids under 16 gets popular if there are t-shirts or other merch for the show you can usually bet Hot Topic will try and get it to pander to that crowd.
Oh thanks for clarifying, let me respond now.

*ahem*

Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm rather disappointed at some of the short-sighted comments in this thread. The anime industry can learn from this as it's an example of a mascot of a keyboard being sold to a demographic well outside its reach.

Err...Hatsune Miku is not a "mascot of a keyboard", she is, quite literally, a virtual idol singer.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

I'd rather they be obscure than being some Hot Topic kiddy's flavor of the month they'll get tired of before moving onto the next thing. These are the kinds of people we don't really need in the fandom any more than we need screaming babies in movie theaters because it 'broadened its demographic'
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Err...Hatsune Miku is not a "mascot of a keyboard", she is, quite literally, a virtual idol singer.

It's a nascot for Yamaha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4