• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Anime Earns Over 40 Billion Yen in Goods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
.Eckilsax. wrote:
Does K-On really have appeal outside of otaku market? Really?

Yeah, it aired on Disney channel in Japan. It was a hit with pre-teen/teen girls particularly.

That makes a lot of sense. I wonder how much this actually bloats the sales .
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
.Eckilsax. wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I wonder how much this actually bloats the sales .

You're doing this to me on purpose, I swear... ;~;

Conclusion:

1) Madoka sold 3x as much merchandise as K-ON!.
2) Both sold comparable disc sales, but only because otaku can afford them, so this isn't as relevant.
3) K-ON! sold mainly to the "cute girls doing cute things" crowd.
4) If Madoka's merchandise sold 3x as much as K-ON!'s successful merchandise, then:

We can assume around 2/3rds, more or less, of Madoka's merch sales came from a wider crowd than the "cute girls doing cute things" crowd K-ON!'s merch sold to.

I don't mind writing these things out, but I just wish I wouldn't get ignored...
And if you're just trolling me, I apologize for giving you the benefit of the doubt.
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for ignoring you, it was a combination of things. Your posts kept getting lost at the end of the page, i was too lazy to separate and quote the relevant paragraphs to respond to directly, but mainly it's because the numbers you posted are spotty at best. As it's been pointed out, there's no accurate way to determine the actual long-term profit margins, there's too many factors to consider, a big one being different share-holders. So I don't feel justified relying on those numbers just because both franchises happened to have released films recently.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Conclusion:
1) Madoka sold 3x as much merchandise as K-ON!

Huh? This article is talking about goods is it not? Unlike the K-ON articles, this one does not specify merchandise at all. So, no. You cannot make a concluding statement like that at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Conclusion:

Huh? This article is talking about goods is it not? Unlike the K-ON articles, this one does not specify merchandise at all. So, no. You cannot make a concluding statement like that at all.

And K-On is known to do a lot of merchandise sales outside the "Otaku" demographic
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Conclusion:

Wait, what? There's a difference between "goods" and "merchandise"...? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but...

Madoka article:
Quote:
The Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei) paper reported on Tuesday that the Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime has grossed a total of 40 billion yen (about US$400 million dollars) in the sales of related goods.

K-ON! article:
Quote:
In an article describing the widespread popularity of the K-ON! anime and manga franchise, the December issue of Nikkei Entertainment magazine is reporting on Thursday that K-ON! has sold over 15 billion yen (about US$192 million) in related goods so far.

If I'm not getting what you're trying to say, then please explain.

Quote:
Sorry for ignoring you, it was a combination of things. Your posts kept getting lost at the end of the page, i was too lazy to separate and quote the relevant paragraphs to respond to directly, but mainly it's because the numbers you posted are spotty at best. As it's been pointed out, there's no accurate way to determine the actual long-term profit margins, there's too many factors to consider, a big one being different share-holders. So I don't feel justified relying on those numbers just because both franchises happened to have released films recently.

I'm not sure what you mean. The question is whether Madoka's popularity and reputation is mostly from its substance or from its "cute girl" aesthetic. I tried using sales from K-ON!, which is known for record-breaking product sales earned mostly for the popularity of its "cute girl aesthetic" in comparison to Madoka's bigger and wider sales target to prove myself, but now I'm getting confused. I can continue talking about it, but I think I need some clarification on your end over why my argument isn't sound to you.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Evangelion has earned over 200 billion yen in goods to date, I am correct? Anyway, 40 billion over a 25 month period is not that much considering it is peaking in popularity right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
^
Most Anime would kill to have merchandise sales of 40 billion yen. It is a lot of money.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Evangelion has earned over 200 billion yen in goods to date, I am correct? Anyway, 40 billion over a 25 month period is not that much considering it is peaking in popularity right now.

>I'm going to take a series from the 90's which is one of the most popular anime series to ever exist and compare it to a series which aired 2 goddamn years ago
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
It's been 213-ish months since the Eva TV series first aired(it's almost old enough to vote most places in the world); assuming the two hundred billion yen is decently current, that's an average of 939 million yen per month. Madoka Magica started 31 months ago, for an average yield of 1.29 billion yen each month. The latter may never overtake the former, but it certainly seems ready to take its seat in the same pantheon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3