• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Love Stage!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

I'm not saying that you, or Tanteikingdomkey, have to personally like romances with non-con elements.

Nor did I mean to imply you said that - sorry if it came off that way!

Quote:
I don't read Western romance novels so I can't comment on the degree to which those stereotypes are true in that genre, but shoujo/josei/BL romances tend to be considerably more complex than any of those summaries. Female-oriented manga romances (and most male-oriented ones, for that matter) are about relationships and emotions, even if they are idealized, exaggerated or hyperdramatized. For some reason, relationship and emotional fantasies, particularly if they are women's fantasies, are treated as silly and contemptible, not like (men's) power fantasies, which are awesome and obviously superior.

Western romance novels actually have quite a bit in common with manga romances, BL or otherwise. That's what I meant to show with the partial sub-genre list - it's a really varied genre. I went with the list I did because it came closest to including the sub-genre "rape romance," which really only academics like to talk about - that's the part I meant in the bodice ripper definition. There are a lot of excellent texts about the importance of women's romance fantasies (my favorite is Dangerous Men, Adventurous Women edited by Jayne Ann Krentz), so I also in no way meant to imply that they are unimportant. Heck, it's one of my favorite genres, both just for fun and for study.

Quote:
And based on my (admittedly poorly informed) impression of "bodice rippers", Love Stage isn't one. The term seems to be restricted to works with a historical setting (explaining the bodice).

It's most often associated with historical romances, but can be used to describe any non-consensual themed novel. Shanna was the major work that established the genre, which is generally why we think of it as historical. Technically, "bodice" can just mean "the part of a woman's dress covering the body between the neck or shoulders and the waist." (dictionary.com) Since we still wear dresses (as does Izumi)... Laughing

Anyway, long story short, we can all like whatever we like in fiction. No one deserves to be judged for what they enjoy reading/watching - we just all like different things for different reasons, or the same things for different reasons.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really good, up until the very end. "spoiler[Uke gets assaulted so seme can save him]" is one of the worst cliches in yaoi/BL in my opinion, and I heard the manga has some scenes like that so I hope it doesn't go all the way into that territory.

That said, excited by the next-episode preview to see that Izumi finally comes to his senses about how he feels about Ryouma - or at least, it looks like it! One of the best romances of this season (certainly a far better one than Blue Spring Ride), and I'm excited to see its conclusion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
This episode was really good, up until the very end. "spoiler[Uke gets assaulted so seme can save him]" is one of the worst cliches in yaoi/BL in my opinion, and I heard the manga has some scenes like that so I hope it doesn't go all the way into that territory.

You're in for a big surprise if you think it's gonna follow that cliche to that degree. ;D
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

You're in for a big surprise if you think it's gonna follow that cliche to that degree. ;D

It depends on what you mean by that. I don't care if Ryouma is the one to save him or not, I would just rather not do "sexual-assault-as-cheap-drama" in my fiction at all. And yaoi has an unfortunate tendency for this and I heard the manga indulged in some of that so, idk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
What kinda bothered me about that last scene, isn't so much that it's awfully clichéd but that the reason spoiler[those thugs seemed to consider Izumi fair game is that he "looks like a girl" (which i personally don't agree with but the show seems to insist that he does), somehow implying that it's perfectly fine to molest girls (or girly-looking guys)...]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
What kinda bothered me about that last scene, isn't so much that it's awfully clichéd but that the reason spoiler[those thugs seemed to consider Izumi fair game is that he "looks like a girl" (which i personally don't agree with but the show seems to insist that he does), somehow implying that it's perfectly fine to molest girls (or girly-looking guys)...]

Yea aside from the whole trend of Izumi getting sexually assaulted/molested every so often, the other problem for me with this show is that Izumi's character design sucks. He just doesn't look very much like a girl to me, despite the show constantly claiming he does. It adds an extra layer of "fakeness" to things.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Non Consequential relationships that have an alarming tendency for appearing in yoai/bl are in my opinion highly offensive to victims of sexual assault, because it shows a complete and uter lack of not only common sense but...When something like that happens it is insanely painful to the victims psyche, and writing off that abuse as romantic is beyond disturbing to me.

Please don't presume to speak for victims of sexual assault. You can speak for yourself, and quote other individuals, but there is no one common reaction to manga like this.

I'm a rape victim. I enjoy BL manga with non-con sex in it. I find rape fantasies empowering, and the complete opposite of my rape experience. I'm quite capable of telling the difference.

Rape strips away your control. Rape fantasy has given it back to me and allowed me to deal with my experience to the point of me being able to talk about it here, in public. Before I read BL manga I could not do this.

So really, don't presume to speak for me, or for others who are victims.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Merida wrote:

Yea aside from the whole trend of Izumi getting sexually assaulted/molested every so often, the other problem for me with this show is that Izumi's character design sucks. He just doesn't look very much like a girl to me, despite the show constantly claiming he does. It adds an extra layer of "fakeness" to things.

It's probably because to others he really DOES look feminine. I, for one, agree that he looks enough like a boy in his normal appearance, but when he puts on a wig, he could easily be mistaken for a girl even when looking straight at his face, no make-up required.
Izu0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The anime is enjoyable and funny
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I was absolutely delighted by the "sex-ed" scene because it struck me as a meta-commentary that, "Ok, boys and girls, anime and manga are not reliable models for real life relationships."
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was absolutely delighted by the "sex-ed" scene because it struck me as a meta-commentary that, "Ok, boys and girls, anime and manga are not reliable models for real life relationships."

Oh yeah, those are gold.

"Do...do men get turned on when their nipples get touched?"

"Yup, sure do!"

"YAY, I'M NORMAL."

"Does buttsex hurt?"

"It just depends on the person."

"Well, it's Ryouma."

"He's never been with a man before. Yup. That's probably going to hurt."

I too enjoy the sex ed scenes in Love Stage. Spill those truth bombs, Rei.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Oh yeah, those are gold.

"Do...do men get turned on when their nipples get touched?"

"Yup, sure do!"

"YAY, I'M NORMAL."

"Does buttsex hurt?"

"It just depends on the person."

"Well, it's Ryouma."

"He's never been with a man before. Yup. That's probably going to hurt."

I too enjoy the sex ed scenes in Love Stage. Spill those truth bombs, Rei.

Guess we CAN learn from anime after all. Anime hyper (what's even better is the fact that spoiler[Ryouma really DOES end up being bad at sex.]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who's read the manga knew this was the point where they were going to end it, but I kind of hoped they'd find some way to extend it to 12 episodes with some of the spoiler[Rei/Shougo and/or "The truth behind..."] extras or something like that (I really wanted to see more spoiler[Rei/Shougo]). Still very satisfied with the adaptation, and extremely happy that cloudy baby-colored weirdass censorship was nowhere to be seen. I also want to note the sweet scene of Seiya and Nagisa, I honestly appreciate how the anime tried to flesh out their characters some more, something we didn't get at all in the manga.

There's unfortunately not enough manga material for a second season (yet), but I hope the sales are good enough to grant one when there is (and in my land of dreams, maybe Back Stage can some day get the Case of Yokozawa Takafumi treatment >w<)
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
There's going to be an extra episode in the last bluray/DVD volume. Very Happy
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
More Haikyuu and Love Stage please. :< Or just more Sex Pistols instead of just OVA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3