• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oshii on Miyazaki's Gedo Senki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
What the hell does Annecy have to do with Oshii and Gedo Senki?!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Lix wrote:
Much like Gin-iro no kami no Agito, it's just too far under the radar for some reason. I mean seriously, has anyone seen Agito?

Well, I've seen it. It was good, but in a too-polished-was-this-designed-by-a-committee kind of way. Visually gorgeous, but the story was a little weak. While watching it I kept being reminded of other movies; oh this is like Steamboy, oh that's like Appleseed, hey that's kind like Nausicaa, etc. The major good point is the extremely detailed and original world they built as a backdrop. It's too bad that the story told within this world is not of the same caliber. Good entertainment, but not a masterpiece by a long shot.

Oh, and on the topic of Gedo Senki, I feel like Oshii too; this is like a match between father and son. First round was Miyazaki's Howl, second round is Goro's Gedo. Who will win? I don't know anything about Goro but I'm definitely curious as to the outcome of this "match" Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I'm surprised there wasn't an ANN news post.
Maybe because not everybody at ANN keeps up with the latest news about the world of French animation film festivals? If you wanted the story to be reported so badly, then why didn't you submit the story to ANN yourself since you apparently know so much about it? Anyway, this was an interesting report despite the Engrish of it all. It'll be interesting to see how well Goro competes with his father, but I still feel kind of biased towards him......I just kind of wonder how he could suddenly jump from being a landscaper to be being an anime film director at Studio Ghibli like that......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how well Goro competes with his father, but I still feel kind of biased towards him......I just kind of wonder how he could suddenly jump from being a landscaper to be being an anime film director at Studio Ghibli like that......

I wonder too. But Oshii seems firmly in Goro's corner, and he's no lightweight, all of this just makes me more interested, I hope it's not a gimick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Maybe because not everybody at ANN keeps up with the latest news about the world of French animation film festivals?

Umm... but someone at ANN obviously does. Yeesh.

I agree with you about the bias, though. I wonder how many anime directors out there with twice the talent of Goro will never have the chance to direct such a high-quality feature because they aren't related to a famous animator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobinobita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
heya guys,

Yeah i agree that the thread veered off topic a bit, but isn't that a part of Message Boards? They are always evolving organically.

As far as Annecy's relation to Miyazaki or Oshii goes, they've both shown films there before, and beyond that, I figured that any fellow animation fans that didn't know about Annecy already might benefit from hearing about it.
It is the biggest, most repsected Animation festival in the western world. But beyond that, it actually shows animation from the world over, with no biases (which is nice because there is still a strong anti-anime sentiment in the US industry).

But yeah, this is a thread bout Oshii and Goro so uh...

I wish Goro the best of luck, and I think it's halarious that Oshii's behind him all the way too.
I'm also terribly intersted in the tension between him and his father. I guess like alot of great men throughout history, Miyazaki wasn't necessarily a great Dad. I can only imagine the arguments they must have had growing up:

"Hayao: Son, I'm dissappointed in you.

Goro: I'm sorry Dad! I'm sorry I'm not the daughter you always wanted!!!"

I just wonder how they finished the film so quick. All that animation in less than a year. That's unheard of as far as I know.

I just hope it all works out. Goro's untested, but everyone around him (animation directors, animators etc) knows their stuff.

Oh, and Cloe, based on your comments, i had a hunch you were an animator! I am too. So that means everyone should listen to our expert oppinions! Twisted Evil (only joking folks)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
I have high hopes for this anime, and I think Goro will do it justice when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2